Tufts Updated Article On Diet Caused Dcm

MaryJane

Tufts had posted an article (summer 2018) about DCM showing up in animals that were on a grain-free novel protein diet. The first article was not as clear as it could have been and since then, there have been countless misinterpretations that this WAS caused from lack of taurine or a lack of grain, or the use of legumes, or the novel proteins. The original article did state that they didn't have a reason yet and it is still under study.

However, they have posted another article which is much clearer on how to approach this issue - I suggest people read it.

http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/11/dcm-update/?fbclid=IwAR0_iIIZKWhwUdho91yPmu6u2OzVRAxsWvw-y2ZLQvHxZS21u740i9aMHLY

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, please read it!

If you are continuing to feed a grain-free, exotic protein diet -- or one from a manufacturer that does not employ board-certified veterinary nutritionists or conduct feeding trials -- you may want to get an echocardiogram every 6 months. Diet-related dilated cardiomyopathy has affected more than one greyhound; our breed is not immune.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've been following this issue with great interest. It seems that most high-end kibble is grain-free and has peas, chickpeas, lentils etc. I'm very concerned, not to mention confused as far as what kibble to feed Lola.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

There is a sizable facebook group dedicated to the problem. Not sure it's appropriate to reference other groups here? but you could send me a PM if need be.

The scientists and vets recommend choosing a food from a company that adheres to WSAVA (World Small Animal Veterinary Association) guidelines -- basically, a company that employs board-certified veterinary nutritionists, conducts research, and conducts feeding trials. There aren't many of those. Currently, only Purina, Royal Canin, Hills, Eukanuba, IAMS appear to meet those criteria. All the fancy foods we've heralded as breakthroughs, "better quality," etc.? Nope.

And that may turn out to be where the problem comes from. Some food ingredients such as peas, lentils, sweet potatoes, aren't inherently bad but need to be processed in a special way to avoid interfering with other ingredients and to be available to the dog's system. A company that researches and trials knows that and knows what to do about it. A company that doesn't might not know.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for sharing this information!

I've been following this issue with great interest. It seems that most high-end kibble is grain-free and has peas, chickpeas, lentils etc. I'm very concerned, not to mention confused as far as what kibble to feed Lola.

I just checked Sweep's food, which is the basic Fromm adult kibble, and it looks safe if you're looking to switch (and she has done well on it for years now). Many of their higher-end recipes do have the concerning ingredients, like chickpeas and lentils, but the classic line does not.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Thanks for sharing this information!

I just checked Sweep's food, which is the basic Fromm adult kibble, and it looks safe if you're looking to switch (and she has done well on it for years now). Many of their higher-end recipes do have the concerning ingredients, like chickpeas and lentils, but the classic line does not.

Thanks, ramonaghan. I forgot about Fromm's. It has always been a fine product.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

There is an excellent FAQ about the issue here. (The site name include "taurine" but it isn't just about taurine deficiency.) They include some pointers for safer food choices:

https://taurinedcm.org/taurine-dcm-faq/

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note that dogs that were on Fromn and Arcana were part of the initial group that suffered DCM as well as Blue Buffalo which makes Kirkland food. Contacting the manufacturer is not going to help as most do not understand what is going on and will tell you their food is OK. Recommendations are leaning towards using foods that follow the WSAVA guidelines and that test their products. This means foods like Eukanuba, ProPlan, Royal Canin, and Science Diet which according to a research article have not had cases linked to them (as of yet). There is a great FB group with tons of information and with great moderators that keep it on subject.

https://www.wsava.org/Guidelines/Global-Nutrition-Guidelines

Edited by MaryJane

Who is currently studying this issue to determine the cause(s) definitively? Is Tufts, the FDA . . . ? I may have read things too quickly apologies if the answer is in the linked articles.

I've changed from Acana to a legume free diet that includes grains, but honestly, the dogs seemed to thrive on their Acana diets and I would like to go back, if possible, once there are some firm research-based conclusions.

Who is currently studying this issue to determine the cause(s) definitively? Is Tufts, the FDA . . . ? I may have read things too quickly apologies if the answer is in the linked articles.

I've changed from Acana to a legume free diet that includes grains, but honestly, the dogs seemed to thrive on their Acana diets and I would like to go back, if possible, once there are some firm research-based conclusions.

Are you on Facebook - I can give you the link to a DCM group that started out with the Taurine issue but are now following this and they have done an excellent job of pulling all the research articles and FDA statements together (it's remarkable) and they keep the group very on point.

Thanks for posting the Facebook group, MaryJane! It is a closely moderated group -- they prefer folks to do some reading before posting. They've collected a lot of research and other useful information in their Files/Units sections so it's easy to find. For those without Facebook, the taurinedcm.org page is a companion and has a useful FAQ section and some good links as well.

Thanks for posting the Facebook group, MaryJane! It is a closely moderated group -- they prefer folks to do some reading before posting. They've collected a lot of research and other useful information in their Files/Units sections so it's easy to find. For those without Facebook, the taurinedcm.org page is a companion and has a useful FAQ section and some good links as well.

I just joined the group a few days ago - I knew about it before but, thought that it was primarily Taurine related - they changed their focus. I love the moderators - they keep it on track. They also created a new group for people whose dogs have been diagnosed with DCM and they use it to get information on the dog's diets, bloodwork, and other tests. A very good use of facebook groups to promote the science.

They have a group for veterinary professionals, too, although quite a few contribute to the main forum.

I too appreciate the science focus. I've learned a lot there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen first hand friends with greyhounds having heart related issues from feeding grain free diets. I’m a believer. I was feeding grain free myself with no issues it’s not worth the risk. Now I feed Purnia pro plan sport 30/20 and my hounds love it.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

I have seen first hand friends with greyhounds having heart related issues from feeding grain free diets. Im a believer. I was feeding grain free myself with no issues its not worth the risk. Now I feed Purnia pro plan sport 30/20 and my hounds love it.

I recently took my grey off of grain free also, but I decided to go with the Purina pro focus SSS, with salmon. It doesn't have any corn, which the Sport 30/20 seems to have a considerable amount of it, in various forms. I guess corn isn't an issue with all dogs, but I'm wondering if there might be any particular reason to include it in the diet.

The reason for the corn is that it's one of the more nutritious carbs available :) . Among other things, it contains methionine and cysteine, which the dog uses to make taurine. It's also been used in dog food for a long time, thus researched and tested to the nth degree.

A lot of folks do find the Purina ProPlan salmon works well for their dogs.

That would probably depend on the kennel. I think after Hi Pro stopped being made, some went to Diamond, which does not follow WSAVA guidelines.

• 1 month later...

On one of the Facebook groups mentioned above someone just posted about her dog (fed grain-free) collapsing and being diagnosed with an enlarged heart (even for a greyhound).  Diagnosed as dilated cardiomyopathy, very early DCM.  If so, it's the first I've read about a retired racer with it.  Her dog is 4.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My Penny was diagnosed last June with DCM, early stages. I had brought her in because she wasn't eating, and the vet noticed a suspicious heart sound during the exam.  I was sent to the cardiologist immediately, as an emergency-squeeze-me-in-and-charge-me-extra patient.  She was diagnosed and put on Vetmedin and the supplement L-carnatine.  I had been feeding grain free since I got her.  She seems to be stable now.  She is just shy of 10 1/2.