Loosing Weight

Just adopted a 7 year old greyhound from NGAP in Philadelphia. She has done beautifully over the past 4+ weeks. Prior to getting her, she was spayed and had 3 teeth removed. My wife and I have noticed that she is getting thinner, although she is very healthy. Loves to play with her toy, going outside and meeting people. She has a great appetite and we have been feeding her Purina Smartblend Chicken. Her stools are formed but loose and goes 3 times per day. We just started adding Alewa carrots to her food. I know that she is still adjusting to her new life and had the above surgeries but we are concerned about her weight and soft stools. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Yes. If you haven't had her in to your vet yet, now is a good time to get her in for a fecal check and a discussion about her weight loss.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

compare the calorie count of your food vs purina pro plan focus is top of the line purina(savor is a lesser variety, i spoke directly to purina when i did not have good results w/ savor) and still moderately priced as compared to many other brands. i was shocked at the excellent results in both weight and coat on the proplan and i was not using supplements. their sport variety has more calories and many professional handlers us it. our whippet came on sport, calorie wise we reduced it to proplan focus since he was out of kennel life and did not need as many calories. i serve the salmon and rice, great coats result.

i use clay vs Owelo carrots, great for their gut and firms them up. check it out https://www.amazon.com/Rx-Vitamins-Clay-Pets-Powder/dp/B008F7M4KY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547135030&sr=8-3&keywords=clay+for+dogs there are other companies who sell it. after 45 years of dog ownership i'm shocked at how well it works. i started off with the full dose and have reduced it greatly. the other add in that works if you wet the food is Nupro, old fashioned, reasonable and works as well.

smart blend CALORIE CONTENT (FED) 3993 kcal/kg 383 kcal/cup

proplan focus chicken : 468 calories per cup

here are the specs:

• Crude Protein (Min) 28% Crude Fat (Min) 18% Crude Fiber (Max) 3% Moisture (Max) 12% Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.6% Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1%
  • Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8% Vitamin A (Min) 15000IU/kg Vitamin E (Min) 100IU/kg Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)* (Min) 0.05%
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles
Calorie Content (Calculated) Metabolizable Energy (ME) 4191 kcal/kg 468 kcal/cup
Edited by cleptogrey

Cleptogrey I am very interested in trying the clay, as I have been using the carrots for years for my boy. It works well enough, but is expensive. About how long does a jar last you? Do you feel it works better than the carrots? How do you give it to your dog? Is it mixed in with food?

Edited by cometdust1

Cometdust 1 container of clay last 2 months maybe more. It's around $15 on amazon. I use 3 to 4 scoops max and then reduce it. Generally it seems like 2 scoops once a day. Sometimes we forgot and the a quick dose and he has well formed movement in the near future. Felix is a mess, 12 loosing weight, poor kidneys, lyme, anaplasmosis and then some. I am pleased that I can clean the yard.

Edited by cleptogrey

Cometdust 1 container of clay last 2 months maybe more. It's around $15 on amazon. I use 3 to 4 scoops max and then reduce it. Generally it seems like 2 scoops once a day. Sometimes we forgot and the a quick dose and he has well formed movement in the near future. Felix is a mess, 12 loosing weight, poor kidneys, lyme, anaplasmosis and then some. I am pleased that I can clean the yard.

Thank you for the response. So sorry Felix is not doing so well. I believe my 11 1/2 year old boy has chronic Lyme also. He also is starting to have back end weakness. I ordered the clay. It would be nice to have some non squishy poops to pick up!