Gap In Racing History

I am not familiar with greyhound racing and have a question regarding my greys history. She had a four month break between the first and last track she raced at. Only two tracks total. She wasnt very good in general with having raced about a dozen times. What other reasons would be typical for a greyhound to have the gap besides a track transfer or injury? I am just curious to see what is typical and what is not.

Usually a four month break between races would indicate an injury. Her Trackinfo page shows she started official schooling on July 17. She was racing at Sanford Orlando and was moved to Mobile which is where those schooling races and her last graded race was run.

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=Dutch+Sheila&x=10&y=3&by=dogname

She wasn't a very good racer with most of her finished being 7th or 8th which is why they decided she would be a better pet than a racer. You can see there are replays of her graded races and if you watch them first look at the first bold number in her Trackinfo lines and that is the box she is coming out of. I posted her only time in the money, a win below.

This is her win from the 4 box.

http://www.trackinfo.com/video-box.jsp?raceid=gSN%2420170209A01

Dick

Dick,

Thanks so much! Your time and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

In one of her races she had quite the tumble...it seems she healed well though.

I actually did a paper about greyhounds falling. I tracked how prevalent falling was and the amount of time the dogs were off the track.

I tracked one month at Palm Beach and the results were

There were 585 races with 4,665 individual runs at Palm Beach in August 2017. 26 dogs fell during those 4,665 runs for a 0.55% chance of falling in a race.
Only 3 of those 26 dogs haven't come back to race, I counted the dog that made his next start 11 days later and hasn't raced since in these three, which is a 11.53% chance of not racing again.
22 of those 26 dogs that fell made their next start. That is an 84.61% chance you will make your next start.
1 dog didn't make his next start for 2 months.
I don't know if the dog that started 11 days later and then didn't race again was because of re-injuring the same injury or if something else happened.
Edited to correct the percentage of dogs that fell that didn't race again.
Edited by dmdsmoxie

I actually did a paper about greyhounds falling. I tracked how prevalent falling was and the amount of time the dogs were off the track.

I tracked one month at Palm Beach and the results were

There were 585 races with 4,665 individual runs at Palm Beach in August 2017. 26 dogs fell during those 4,665 runs for a 0.55% chance of falling in a race.
Only 3 of those 26 dogs haven't come back to race, I counted the dog that made his next start 11 days later and hasn't raced since in these three, which is a 0.064% chance of not racing again.
22 of those 26 dogs that fell made their next start. That is an 84.61% chance you will make your next start.
1 dog didn't make his next start for 2 months.
I don't know if the dog that started 11 days later and then didn't race again was because of re-injuring the same injury or if something else happened.

Interesting! Thanks for the info :)

I know Johnny was bumped and fell at least once, but continued to race. He does show pain and tenderness in that right shoulder and neck, but it doesn't stop him from roaching and bed failing!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Remarkable work!

I wonder if the greyhounds that weigh less tend to wipe out more? I realize there are many factors involved. My Sheila raced at 48-50lbs and she doesnt have the muscle build of other greys. The race she wiped out in, she did end up still running afterwards to the end of the race. She definitely got stepped on.

On another note, it could be plausible that the greys with heavier parasite loads have their race performance affected in some way...my girl had gotten really sick because of hookworm.

I noticed how small your girl was and in this day and age that is unusual. Today you almost never see a racer in the 40 pound range. Years ago it was somewhat common and you wouldn't think twice about seeing them.

You would be correct that a 70 pound dog bumping a 49 pound dog would do more to knock the smaller dog off their stride or knock them down. Dogs are already fighting centrifugal force as they try and go around a turn. It's the reason why greyhounds must switch to their left lead when going around a turn. If they don't they will not negotiate the turn and do what we call blow the turn.

Hooks are never good and are a constant battle. Hooks are hard enough to get rid of in a home setting with a dog or two so you can imagine what a trainer goes through with a colony of 50 dogs.

Wow that's so interesting on the percentages! (My grey took a fall and broke his leg so then went to retirement with me) Thank you for sharing!

I just watched the race where your dog broke his leg and I would say he didn't fall and break his leg, I would say he broke his leg and fell. The difference being a fall didn't break his leg it was the broken leg that caused the fall.

It is the same thing with humans and their hips. Many times you hear someone say so and so fell and broke their hip. That may be true, but a lot of times, especially with the elderly, the ball and socket in the hip have worn so much that the ball comes out and the person falls. So the hip broke and then the person fell.

Dick, is there any way to get video that used to be on TrackInfo? Last race was in 2010 at Wheeling Downs. I would give anything to see videos of her racing again. I lost her on 12.11.18.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Dick, is there any way to get video that used to be on TrackInfo? Last race was in 2010 at Wheeling Downs. I would give anything to see videos of her racing again. I lost her on 12.11.18.

I don't know if Wheeling would still have those races. All I can suggest is either email or call them.

https://www.wheelingisland.com/contact-us

Sorry for your loss.

Edited by dmdsmoxie

I know the ex-GM at Wheeling and sent him an email asking him if he thought they would have video from 2010. He told me they did a poor job archiving old video so while he doubts they have your video you should see what they say.

He also suggested contacting Trackinfo because there is a chance they may still have video even though it isn't posted on their website.

I don't know if Wheeling would still have those races. All I can suggest is either email or call them.

https://www.wheelingisland.com/contact-us

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you. I'll check with them.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014