New Owner - Limping: Minor Injury Or Vet Time?also, Nail Clipping?

Hi All,

New owner of Arrow (six weeks) with new question about limping: Ours had a nice run of circles and zoomies in our small back yard yesterday. She took a walk last night and did great. Then this morning she had a slight limp. It seemed to go away after a few minutes so we thought it might just be that her leg was asleep or a cramp, etc. But she froze worse than every before on her walk this morning, then when we got home she started limping again. It seems to kind of go away after a while of walking, but it's been persisting all day, particularly right when she gets up. We suspect it may be a cracked nail, but not completely sure. When do you all decide a limp means a vet visit? Also, we keep finding different bits of advice as to how often to clip: every two weeks, 6-8 weeks. Any thoughts?

Thank you all so much - this forum has been priceless for a new grey owner!

Can you run you hands down the affected leg and foot, apply a little mild pressure, and see if she reacts? What makes you think it might be a cracked nail? It is probably just a soft tissue injury. I took my first grey to the e-vet on a holiday because she was limping :rolleyes: soft tissue injury, she was fine.

As for how often to clip nails, I do it once a month, 6-8 weeks would probably be ok too.

When I do my nails, the dogs get theirs done too. But a lot depends on your individual dog as some grow out faster than others.

Ideally you want to keep them as short as possible, so your experience may vary.

I would err on the side of caution. A limp can be minor or it can be very major, and it's difficult to determine which is which without some familiarity and knowledge. Plus, if it's a soft tissue injury, you'll want an anti inflammatory. If it's a cracked nail, that also needs attention (it could be an auto immune disease or need glowing and wrapping to stabilize it).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'd wait out the limp for a day or two. Check for any obvious injuries, pain on touch, visual inspection, etc. If nothing obvious shows up and she's not showing distress, wait. If she starts screaming, flinching, holding the leg up, biting, etc, of course, go to the vet.

But if she's truly just lame.... wait it out. I ran to the vet far too often with my first.

Sounds like a soft tissue injury but if it's a corn she'll limp on hard surfaces but not on grass.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Wow, that's exactly what's happening: Limping on hardwood floor and sidewalk but not on grass. If it's a corn, is this something that the vet needs to deal with, or is it something we need to just wait out? Thanks again!

Also, this morning (second day of limping) she went out and was obsessed with eating grass/plants and is not showing her typical interest in her food. Could that be related to the limping?

Edited by ArrowOwner

I have had two hounds with corns (3 each on different pads). The vet can hull them and that will give temp. relief. Once you have watched a couple of times there is no reason you cannot do it yourself...there should be very little pain and no blood. DO NOT ever let a vet talk you into surgery as it is very painful for the dog to get over and the corn will just come back..I tried everything under the sun on my dogs (ointments, soaking, shoes, etc.) and nothing worked on mine but the hulling. Thera Paws shoes does make it easier for your dog to walk, but of course it does nothing to heal the corn..