Peroxide To Induce Vomiting

Just a reminder to newbies, if any dog ingests something deadly, you can induce vomiting with peroxide. I was reminded of this today when a coworker told the story of his dog that last night got into something and had an allergic reaction. His wife gave it Benadryl, at the wrong dosage. Way too high, which they figured out after. So they spent the night in worry, watching the dog sleep (very soundly). I mentioned peroxide and he'd never heard of it. They could've done that right away, purged it out of the dog's system and not had to fear the OD.

Their dog is fine, btw. Very sluggish today, but ok.

or salted water if you don't have peroxide. but, why don't you have peroxide? Pick up some styptic powder while you are picking some peroxide up :)

It is good to have the instructions handy. Your vet may even have a hand out telling what to do and how to do it in case of emergency. I had to write them down in a panic while on the phone with my vet years ago.

Great advice and a good reminder, Sobesmom.

Don't forget the ASPCA's Poison Control Center App for Pets. The app is free and covers many common household items that pets ingest. https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/apcc-mobile-app

There is also a 24 hour ASPCA Poison Control hotline staffed by Vet Techs and Vets who specialize in Poison Control consults. You may incur a charge of $65 for a consult - worth every penny if you need it when your vet is closed. The phone number is 1-888-426-4435. I have heard that they ask for a credit card number up front, but do not always charge the fee depending on the circumstance. This center is in Urbana, IL, so you are not getting a third party call center in a foreign country when you call.

Be sure to check the expiration date on your peroxide as it goes bad after a year or so. Also replace it after you open it, as air exposure makes it go bad even faster.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

- Hydrogen peroxide is typically used to induce vomiting of small, soft items only, such as a toxic human food or small, soft poisonous plant.

- Emergency vet for anything hard or sharp that might puncture the dog internally if it were to be vomited back out.

- Emergency vet for ingested materials that could cause an internal blockage such as socks or bedding material.

(Helps to write the date opened on hydrogen peroxide bottle or cap, in case a vet asks later.)

Poisonous Foods:

https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/foods-can-be-poisonous-pets

Poisonous Plants:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants?field_toxicity_value%5B%5D=01

Just make sure you give the peroxide outside in case the vomit appears sooner than anticipated.

Don't forget the ASPCA's Poison Control Center App for Pets. The app is free and covers many common household items that pets ingest. https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/apcc-mobile-app

There is also a 24 hour ASPCA Poison Control hotline staffed by Vet Techs and Vets who specialize in Poison Control consults. You may incur a charge of $65 for a consult - worth every penny if you need it when your vet is closed. The phone number is 1-888-426-4435. I have heard that they ask for a credit card number up front, but do not always charge the fee depending on the circumstance. This center is in Urbana, IL, so you are not getting a third party call center in a foreign country when you call.

Thanks, Don. I've had to use this service more than once. They're extremely efficient and kind and even call the next day for follow up.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Before you induce vomiting double check. Our whippet got a hold of a PIC mosquito repellant stick. I quick did some research and flushing the mouth with water and drinking water was recommended, not vomiting. Poison control was not phased but did more research than the manufacturer about the toxins. The amount of peroxide needed to induce vomiting is easily available on line.

Edited by cleptogrey