Scared And Shaky

three nights ago my greyhound woke me up panting, pacing and a little shaky. I sat up with him a couple hours till he calmed down and he seemed fine for the next two days. But tonight hes acting scared again and follows me everywhere and keeps trying to go into my bathroom. He never does that. I have had him about a year and a half now and hes been through Fourth of Julys and other events where there have been loud noises...so Im not sure what is going on. Hes acting afraid... every little noise seems to spook him now. Only thing I can think that possibly triggered it was a mild earthquake about a week ago. Im wondering if that triggered a fear in him and now he is scared every time he hears a noise? Is this plausible? Thanks...Im just worried about him

There is currently a lot of earthquake activity in Alaska, parts of California and other locations around the globe, but not so much where you are. I'm wondering if your dog may be hyper-sensitive and still be able to feel little tremors that may be happening that you and I wouldn't even notice and that don't register on the earthquake websites. If it continues, you might check with the vet for some medication, or if available in your area, CBD oil has worked pretty well for dogs that are thunderphobic.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We hardly ever get earthquakes but last Wednesday we had one that was 4.4 magnitude, the strongest one weve had in 45 years. It actually broke windows in peoples homes near by.

But Im still not sure if thats it. Im just racking my brain because hes been around fireworks and other things and Ive never seen him do this. Ive had him since March 2016 . Hes been nervous at times, just typical normal stuff, but hes literally been panting and following me around for two hours. Every time the house creeks he about jumps off the couch. He has never done this before besides last Friday night. Other than random things here and there, hes chilled out 24/7...Im about to fall asleep but Im afraid to leave him. Will he be all right or should I take him to the emergency vet? Im fairly certain hes just frightened but I dont know what to do about it. Some folks from the Greyhound rescue told me to give him two Benadryl but that hasnt helpef yet.

Edited by tiffwee

I hope he's calmed down by now. He may need to see a vet for anti anxiety medication to get him through this. It's not good for his body to be under this much physical stress reaction.

Benadryl and melatonin can both help, but may not be strong enough in this case. I suspect the earthquake triggered him and now he's anxious pretty much all the time. He also may be hearing very low or high frequency sounds associated with the earthquake and aftershocks that humans can't register.

I would put in a call to get him in to the vet. Keep a good track of his temp and heartrate. He may need an evet if he can't calm himself down.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you. He is calm this morning but I can tell he is still paranoid. The odd thing is that, the past two nights he has been fine. Just wondering why it happened again so randomly after it happened on Friday night. I tried giving him two Benadryl last night but it didnt do anything. If he does it again tonight, Ill take him to the vet for sure.

BACH's RESCUE REMEDY is tried and true in such situations. I think it is probably a result of the earhquake. Once they get scared hormones are released into their system. It takes a while for these to dissipate and work their way out and during that time they are much more sensitive and easily upset than normal. His energy is out of wack too. Give him ~ 4 drops of Rescue Remedy at least twice a day and put a few drops into his water and then just let him chill. Unless he can still detect tremors or perceives something else that upsets him and starts the process all over again he should be back to normal once his system has had time to clear that original hormone dump. It is important to use only the original "BACH's" remedy and not a cheap knock off/clone of which there are many. It is 100% safe. It is a FLOWER essence and is very dilute but has been around for a long time because it has been found to be effective. JMO based on experiences of many years. I personally would not take him to a regular vet as that would just be more to get him upset and have to cope with. Right now he just needs to chill out in peace IMO. Of course if you have a great holistic/alternative vet they may be able to help as they will have a lot more experience and understanding of his situation.

I agree, the earthquake probably sensitized him and now he feels/senses things that scare him that you can't sense. I would try some of the OTC things, like melatonin (5mg), CBD oil, Rescue Remedy. Not all at once :) They may help, or not, individuals differ. If these episodes happen at night, you may want to give him one of the OTC's every evening for awhile, they usually work best if you can get them in him before the scary things happen. If he seems to want to go into your bathroom, try putting a dog bed in there if you can and let him in. Bathrooms seem to be a "safe space" for many dogs. I keep a crate pad that I put in the bathroom whenever thunderstorms are predicted.

Hope he gets past this, it can be so stressful to see your dog afraid and not be able to fix it!

OK, thank you all. I will look into your suggestions. I took him to work with me today and he seems fine even though my office is right next to our very large machine shop, with every sound you can think of. None of these crazy noises rattle him in the least. Not to mention he walks up to every stranger here expecting a back rub. So clearly, things in general dont seem to bother him. But at home, there wont be any sounds at all and he starts to get freaked. Also I wanted to add the earthquake was last Wednesday and he didnt have a panic attack, that I know of, until Friday night. Hes only had one on Friday and the one last night. Starting to wonder if my house is haunted Lol