Soft Tissue Sarcoma In Greyhounds

Guest elese82

Guest elese82

Hi all, we just had a mass removed from the left back leg of our 9 year old greyhound. The mass was designated as low grade (level 1) soft tissue sarcoma. We are meeting with an oncologist next week to discuss options. Our regular vet said that the tumor can come back in the same location, but that could be months or years down the line. Has anyone else had a greyhound with soft tissue sarcoma? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bowie developed a rare form of Osteosarcoma subcutaneously, so not exactly the same thing. Prognosis for it is 26 - 74 days. She developed it at the end of April this year and she's still with me. The tumors are massive now, but started small. They were being watched, but seemed to blow up overnight.

Several things to think about, in terms of prevention, change of diet to raw, adding golden paste to his diet, daily CBD oil with THC (not enough to make the dog high), mushroom supplements, and several other supplements. If you're interested, I'm happy to share the info.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

It would add to your ability to assess things if the vet would tell you what kind of soft tissue sarcoma it is. If, for example, it is hemangiosarcoma, unless they got clean margins it is likely to come back in the same place, but more aggressively. Dr. Couto as a chemo protocol involving injections into the lesion site, that you may want to look into if this is the kind of sarcoma your hound has. From what I remember, people whose hounds received this kind of chemo found it had little to no side effects and it was effective.

It would add to your ability to assess things if the vet would tell you what kind of soft tissue sarcoma it is. If, for example, it is hemangiosarcoma, unless they got clean margins it is likely to come back in the same place, but more aggressively. Dr. Couto as a chemo protocol involving injections into the lesion site, that you may want to look into if this is the kind of sarcoma your hound has. From what I remember, people whose hounds received this kind of chemo found it had little to no side effects and it was effective.

Very good point! Thanks for adding that. I was in a fog when I wrote my response. Bowie had a rough night and day today, so I'm not all here.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My boy had an (apparently rare) intramuscular hermangiosarcoma (not really soft tissue, but certainly not bone either) and it was high up on the rear leg, closer to the tail than anywhere else really. We did not remove it due to the type and location and his age, however tried chemo instead using a protocol with advice from Dr. Couto. Unfortunately, the tumor was aggressive and ended up taking his life. Might be worth having your vet get in touch with Couto for additional advice.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Really need to identify the type of tumor. There are many types of soft tissue sarcomas.

Going on a limb here and I’m going to guess it might be a hemangiopericytoma. They are commonly found on the limbs of greyhounds-often are low grade. If I’m correct in my guess if it should return Dr Couto does have a protocol that involves an injection directly into the tumor (f5u).

Keep us posted!