Lora (Lora Ann Uhl)

GreytNut

Lora is gone.

We lost Finn 2 days before due to osteosarcoma. Lora's idea of coping with this was to tear apart her bed and eat about 2 pounds of polyester stuffing. Muzzled, no less.

I got her to vomit it out. Oy, that was a night. The next day I tried to encourage her to drink and to eat a little. No dice. Off to the vet we went, where it appeared that she was OK other than being severely dehydrated. She got sub-q fluids and felt better.

That night she begged for some French fries. I handed them over. I didn't care, as long as she ate. She insisted that they be fed to her by hand, one at a time. Fine. Done. She even ate a dollop of peanut butter and drank some clear chicken broth.

It looked like she was on the mend. We snuggled. She enjoyed some ear rubbies.

Later she bloated. It was pretty obvious right away what was happening. She died on the way to the vet.

I thought I had caused the bloat by feeding her too soon but the adoption coordinator for our group--also a veterinary surgical tech--thinks there was a blockage from the stuffing that got missed.

Lora was goofy, wiggly and happy. She never lost that youthful exuberance. Her tail was a deadly weapon. She loved to sneak up on you, which is why her pajamas had butterflies with cherry blossoms for wings on them despite my aversion to the color pink. Everyone knows ninjas attack under cherry trees, right?

XTJDead.jpg

She was a tiny thing, able to walk underneath her taller brothers. You could fit her in your pocket. Actually, she would have loved being able to ride in our pockets. Tiny as she was, she was very pushy and assertive and worked her way to the top of the pack. She wasn't a bully. She was just somehow always first in line for everything. More ninja moves.

Her small size, cuteness, mosquito nose and propensity for sticking that nose into everything you were doing earned her the nickname "Bug" and she wore collars with ladybugs and garden insects on them. That adorability and her soulful "You can't possibly be mad at me," puppy eyes got her out of a lot of trouble.

For the first time in 16 years there are no greyhounds in the house. It's like the opposite of being haunted... it's completely empty in here. It's silent and joyless. It used to frustrate me that I could never move from Point A to Point B without being blocked by a dog, but now that I can move freely it's just... weird. And the silence.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

:f_white Ach, Kristen, I am so sorry. Life is handing you such a raw deal at the moment. Please, take care of yourself as best you can, and know that we are here for you. :grouphug

Run free, little Lora, reunited now with your big brother Finn. :gh_run2 :gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Oh no. What an awful awful time you've had. I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, funny little girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:(

I am so, so sorry that your sweet little bug had to leave so suddenly.

Remember all those good times...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I cannot imagine the sense of loss you are feeling over the past few months. I know that I'm still lost without Rocket here, and cannot imagine triple that kind of heartbreak. There are no words that would be adequate.

Lora was adorable. I'm so sorry.

Run-free Lora. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Oh God. There are no words to express the sadness of this. Kristen, I am so very sorry. Losing two so close together is like having your heart hollowed out. Suddenly having no dogs in the house is like having your home hollowed out. Just know that we are here. We care and we understand how hard this is.

Edited by kudzu

Oh, no! No wonder your heart and home are incredibly empty. This tiny girl was larger than life, and losing her so soon after her brother is devastating. I honestly think that picture of her in her butterfly jammies is one of the most adorable I've ever seen. You captured her essence in that picture and your wonderful tribute. I'm so very sorry you lost your precious little Lora. I have a feeling that she and Finn will send you a sign that they are at peace and watching over you together.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

My heart is breaking for you. I know what it is like to lose 2 of them within hours of each other-it's worse than being shot in the gut. I also lost my soul mate to the evil bloat/GDV. I can tell you that there is absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent it. It frankly irritates me to so often hear people talk about bloat like it is a mere inconvenience. As we know it is often a death sentence regardless of its cause. Sometimes our hounds are far more attached to their packmates than we realize. The only thing I know we can do to cope is simply to love. The love is bigger than the pain. I know your heart is breaking terribly. But the pain will subside over time, and the love not only will survive, it will be stronger. Someday the horrible pain will be a memory of deep sadness but the love will still be vibrant and alive. Love is always bigger than pain. When you are hurting, reach for the love and you will feel better.
47577764_1996840873730355_63367400134551

So sorry to read of that double loss.and the trauma you all went thru. None of was your fault in any way. Just try to look at it like God allows us to borrow them and then He calls them back for some reason we're not party to. The happy memories will return and they will help immensely with any future dogs that come into your life.

:bighug:f_white:f_white

Oh my God, Kristen, I am SO very sorry :( :( :( :( :(:cry1 :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway