Are Greyhounds Really Extremely Sensitive?

I adopted my amazing 3yr old greyhound Abbie 9 months ago...shes my first grey, and Im so in love with her ! The other day I gave her a greenie like I do everyday ...its her favorite time of day...i then went to toss her another dental chew and it accidentally hit her in the snout ...well she has acted traumatized ever since..didnt finish her food this morning, and when I went to give her daily greenie she turned her head away and started shaking...Ive heard that greys are sensitive...but this seems so extreme?? Is there anything I can do to bring her around??

I wonder if something has got stuck in her mouth, between her teeth or even bridging across the mouth. Might the greenie have hit a sore spot?

You can use calming signals body language to help tell them things are OK. Don't be bossy or loom over them. Lick your lips, Yawn and look away, then get on with something else. If you sit down too then then dog will feel easier about coming up to you.

Some are, sone aren't. Sounds like you do have one. I agree with the strategy of using peanut butter to sooth her wounded soul! ;)

In my house the same action would get me a load of stink eye, and that bone would have been snapped right up!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Abbie's reaction does sound extreme to me. The worst reaction I get in a situation like that are puzzled, sad-eyed faces -- "Mommy, why are you hitting me in the head?" That doesn't stop them from lining up to get the next piece of food thrown in the air.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

This could have happened with my toysized Prague Ratter too. My "sensitive" Galgo-Grey-cross would not have felt anything or if he would not have cared.

So this happens with non-greys as well and some "sensitive" sighthounds are ignorant enough to not give a damn or would love nothing more than food thrown at them.

The day my first Greyhound, Wendy, came home I opened a kitchen cabinet and a bunch of plastic containers fell out. The clatter nearly caused her to have cardiac arrest! For ever after, Wendy refused to be in the kitchen if I was in there. Sorry, my precious girl! :beatheart

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

After having my Spook boy for a year of everything tramatic, I changed out the Almond Refrig to a black model ( ha d to match dishwasher). Stormy would not go into the kitchen for days. Years later I just had to have a French door Stainless Steel. Poor old guy just did not care anymore. Had to let him go 1 week before his 13 BD. I still laugh when I polish the fridge.

My girl is very aware of every change in our household, afterall it is her entire world. I found that if I apologize to her and make it clear that she is the center of my universe, things turn to a positive. Make no mistake...these hounds are very smart! Enjoy the ride . We do.

15915127311_7ffb7b5f61_q.jpg

MacKenzie McPherson