Sign in to follow this  
kightfam

Do Greyhounds Like Toys?

I'm sure they do! ;) But what toys or play things would you recommend having available for a newly adopted greyhound/galgo? Chewy things, stuffed things, food games, balls, ropes? How do they generally like to play? Anything to avoid?

Some greys do, some don't. And some have very specific tastes, like nothing rubbery or hard, or have different degrees of destructiveness. The grunting hedgehogs seem to be a popular choice, and that's my own girl's hands-down favorite. I wouldn't go overboard buying toys until you know your own dog's preferences. It might take a while for them to get comfortable enough to play, so keep that in mind, or they might never show any interest at all. Kongs are good to have on hand, not as toys but as something you can fill with peanut butter, applesauce, crumbled treats, etc., and safely leave with your dog when you're not home or need to keep them busy.

17369590311_3d5eeef92f.jpg

Rachel with Sweep and kitties Olive and Momo.
Always missing my boys Mud and
Henry

One boy was actually scared of toys that squeaked, so I had to find squeakerless toys or bust the squeakers that were inside. He actually didn't even play with toys until his first year.

I wouldn't say avoid anything at the beginning, but you will certainly see which types of toys your dog prefers. Neither of my boys really cared to chew on kongs (stuffing them inside with goodies is a different story) or hard ropes or frisbees, but every dog is different.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My galgo-cross never ever played with anything. The sound of squeaking toys made him alert, but not play. Ball, rope, stick, frisbee, stuffed toys - no reaction in all of the 10 years I owned him. He only played with other dogs. Means: catch me if you can.

My galgo-grey-cross does not play at the moment. He is with us only 6 weeks now. But he seems a little more interested in toys. I am positive that he will start some sort of play when he is settled in.

But the old boy...he did not even ignore toys .

Grace ignored her toys for the first couple of months but now loves furry squeaky ones but won't touch rubber ones even if they do squeak.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) born 18 June 2014
Raced at Monmore Green, Wolverhampton UK - 68 Races, 9 wins, 5 second places
Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 

2 that vote for stuffies here . Specially sponge bob square pants that cme from Walmart not the pet store

Edited by teri_d

Thank you for the tips! I think the consensus is that we should wait to stock up until we know what kind of fellow he is. Our current dog isn't much into toys, so we'll figure out what he likes. We will for sure have kongs at the ready to stuff so he can pass the time peacefully while he settles in.

Monty didn't care for toys for months after we got him. He just didn't understand what to do with them. We still had a couple from our first dog, but Monty didn't care...until he found one of my stuffed toys (a bunny that sat upright and I used to hold crochet hooks) and he delicately picked it up and wandered off with it. I found the crochet hooks leading to his bed, where "Bunny Butt" (as it was later named) was lying. It was his favorite toy, even after he figured them out and got many more soft toys and played with them. "Playing" mostly consisted of pretending to catch them when we'd toss them across the living room. He did not like hard toys unless they dispensed treats!

Jasper empties the toy box every day. He grabs a toy when I come in, when he comes in, while waiting to eat, when he is done eating...

I find a dozen toys in my room at least twice a day, with a trail of others between the toy basket and his bed in my room. I put them all back several times a day. He is very selective, and chooses the one he wants, but does take every toy out at least once a day. He comes to find me if the toy basket is empty, and waits for me to replace all the toys before digging in.

Jasper empties the toy box every day. He grabs a toy when I come in, when he comes in, while waiting to eat, when he is done eating...

I find a dozen toys in my room at least twice a day, with a trail of others between the toy basket and his bed in my room. I put them all back several times a day. He is very selective, and chooses the one he wants, but does take every toy out at least once a day. He comes to find me if the toy basket is empty, and waits for me to replace all the toys before digging in.

I was walking one day with my brindle grey and a woman pulled over in her vehicle and said, Jasper?! She thought my female dog was the brindle male Jasper she knew near my area. :) LOL

At first my grey didnt show interest in toys. Then it was clear the toys that crinkle and squeak are her favorite. She doesnt touch Kongs and would never pick up a ball. A toy rope she will play with here and there. She doesnt take much out of her toy box.

This is Cole to a tee!

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

My Scout loved stuffies. To save money, I got most of the stuffies in her toy chest from Goodwill and garage sales. Just make sure there is nothing that a grey could swallow (buttons and eyes) and that the stuffing is polyester fluff. Plastic beans are horrible to pick up and your dog could easily swallow them.