New Grey - Separation Anxiety

Hey Greytalk, its been a while! This was a tremendously greyt source of info when I got my first greyhound, Chance. Sadly, he passed this June, unexpectedly at age 12. I still cry all the time to this day. He was my first Grey and saw me though my Leukemia in 2010 (some of you may remember!)

Anyway, I finally pulled the trigger and rescued another ex-racer, Milly. Milly is quite the Velcro dog which I love but is troublesome too bc of her SA. Chance never had this problem so Ive been researching and trying various methods. I searched the SA thread on here with not much to go on, so I figured a new thread was in order. Here are some stats...

She barely 2 yrs old.

Raced only 19 races (Road Gypsy if youre curious)

Born in Iowa, I believe, and raced in Fl

Decently fast learner...had her for almost 3 weeks now.

Ive kept a log of her behavior when Im gone (recorded her). I teach so its 8-9 hrs alone. I know its long, but Im single and Chance adapted perfectly.

She whines within minutes of my departure (crated) until I introduced the Kong. That occupies her for about 30 min.

Tried crated by the window, with white noise, and a Kong treat...nope

Tried no crate in my room for about 2.5 hrs...nope. She tried to rip out the window, paced, panted, peed.

Today I tried about 2g of Melatonin an hour before I left (shes about 59 lbs) and did nothing. (This is along with Animal planet on and a Kong) Today she actually ripped apart the bed that was inside.

My next idea is a thunder shirt which should be here by Thursday. Was gonna try 3g melatonin too before hand.

Just to add....Ive done the whole leave for 5min, 15min, crate her while Im home, stare her down till she relaxes, etc. Shes a chewer too...

I need more advice! Just not keen on jumping into meds from vet. Any thoughts on CBD oil for pets? Great reviews on Amazon but not 100% sold on that either.

Two weeks is a very short time for her to settle in.

I'd try muzzling her and leaving her loose.

Can you block off access to some rooms and leave one or two rooms open for her?

None of mine used a crate. Ruby and Nigel both had extreme anxiety in the crate in their first homes.

Do you have a friend - or hire a dog walker - to stop in mid-day?

8-9 hours is a LONG time for a brand new hound.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Mario (2nd Chance Rescue).   Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) and especially  Nigel (Nigel), waiting at the Bridge

SKMsummer.jpg

Two weeks is a very short time for her to settle in.

I'd try muzzling her and leaving her loose.

Can you block off access to some rooms and leave one or two rooms open for her?

None of mine used a crate. Ruby and Nigel both had extreme anxiety in the crate in their first homes.

Do you have a friend - or hire a dog walker - to stop in mid-day?

8-9 hours is a LONG time for a brand new hound.

Thank you!

I know it’s a long time. I did try acclimating her while I was off for a week. Im open to getting someone to walk her midday, but her SA starts within moments when I leave, so not sure how much a midday help would do.

Muzzle in open room was my next go to... Not a fan of a muzzle, but they “are” used to them right? She just got off the track on Halloween. Just basing my experience with my last grey and he hated his muzzle, but he was 3.5 yrs and well over a year off the track.

When you try leaving her out with a muzzle, also be sure to leave her crate door open so she can go in there if she wants to. When we first got Rocket he did not like being left in the crate when we left the house. Once we let him have the run of the house, he still liked to go in and out of the crate as he pleased, especially if the sunbeams were hitting it. The picture in my signature was actually taken while he was sunbathing inside the crate.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

The home of Camp Broodie.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, and Petunia MW Neptunia.

How does she behave while you are around? Does she follow you around evetywhere you go? Is she relaxed if you leave the room for like a rush to the toilet?

One of the first things my dogs learn is not to be in the same room as I am all of the time. Easy thing, aus our apartement is babygated like toddler fort knox.

Our newest family member was pacing a lot in the beginning if I where out of sight. Bored him out by leaving the room, take our the trash, opening an shuting doors, taking toilet brakes, picking up mail, getting dressed and undressed like a thousand times a day (waaay more than usual, just to make clear: nothing to worry about - everyday business)

After about a weak he started staying calm an now (5 weeks later) he does not raise an ear if somebody leaves or enters the room and his staying alone at home (but there is 2 other dogs, which makes things easier) has improved rapidly.

I do not muzzle or crate dogs whilst they are alone but I restrict space so there is only half a room the dogs can use.

Edited by Rakete

When you try leaving her out with a muzzle, also be sure to leave her crate door open so she can go in there if she wants to. When we first got Rocket he did not like being left in the crate when we left the house. Once we let him have the run of the house, he still liked to go in and out of the crate as he pleased, especially if the sunbeams were hitting it. The picture in my signature was actually taken while he was sunbathing inside the crate.

Yes definitely!

How does she behave while you are around? Does she follow you around evetywhere you go? Is she relaxed if you leave the room for like a rush to the toilet?

One of the first things my dogs learn is not to be in the same room as I am all of the time. Easy thing, aus our apartement is babygated like toddler fort knox.

Our newest family member was pacing a lot in the beginning if I where out of sight. Bored him out by leaving the room, take our the trash, opening an shuting doors, taking toilet brakes, picking up mail, getting dressed and undressed like a thousand times a day (waaay more than usual, just to make clear: nothing to worry about - everyday business)

After about a weak he started staying calm an now (5 weeks later) he does not raise an ear if somebody leaves or enters the room and his staying alone at home (but there is 2 other dogs, which makes things easier) has improved rapidly.

I do not muzzle or crate dogs whilst they are alone but I restrict space so there is only half a room the dogs can use.

Yes she does follow me a lot. Usually only goes to kitchen alone to counter surf something if she can. I did try doing what you said all this weekend with 10 min or so in the crate while I was upstairs. Whining ensued. I came down and said, “Hey” and gave eye contact till she layed down.

Yes she does follow me a lot. Usually only goes to kitchen alone to counter surf something if she can. I did try doing what you said all this weekend with 10 min or so in the crate while I was upstairs. Whining ensued. I came down and said, Hey and gave eye contact till she layed down.

So she is not used to staying relaxed at on place - may it be crate or dog bed - when you leave the room?!

I would not react to the whining as what a dog might understand is: "If I make noises for long enough someone will come and pay me attention".

Personally I am a follower of the "do not pay a new dog much attention" school and find it important that a dog learns to stay relaxed at home when I am out of sight which is one important key to alone training to me. Others might go with differnt techniques.

I would not crate her while training the being alone in one room while you are at home.

Do you know if your hound was properly crate trained at the place it was fostered?

So she is not used to staying relaxed at on place - may it be crate or dog bed - when you leave the room?!

I would not react to the whining as what a dog might understand is: "If I make noises for long enough someone will come and pay me attention".

Personally I am a follower of the "do not pay a new dog much attention" school and find it important that a dog learns to stay relaxed at home when I am out of sight which is one important key to alone training to me. Others might go with differnt techniques.

I would not crate her while training the being alone in one room while you are at home.

Do you know if your hound was properly crate trained at the place it was fostered?

She was at a greyhound rescue, crated as all their dogs are, for the two weeks she was there. I can get a hold of them and ask for advice as well.

Ya know I thought of the whining and reacting thing the same way (it tells her I come when she whines), yet another greyhound site said to do that.

Should we nit sleep together at night? I feel like I messed up right off the bat and now trying to fix and totally confusing her. This is awful. I just want to do right by her. Thx for your advice!

Hey Greytalk, its been a while! This was a tremendously greyt source of info when I got my first greyhound, Chance. Sadly, he passed this June, unexpectedly at age 12. I still cry all the time to this day. He was my first Grey and saw me though my Leukemia in 2010 (some of you may remember!)

Anyway, I finally pulled the trigger and rescued another ex-racer, Milly. Milly is quite the Velcro dog which I love but is troublesome too bc of her SA. Chance never had this problem so Ive been researching and trying various methods. I searched the SA thread on here with not much to go on, so I figured a new thread was in order. Here are some stats...

She barely 2 yrs old.

Raced only 19 races (Road Gypsy if youre curious)

Born in Iowa, I believe, and raced in Fl

Decently fast learner...had her for almost 3 weeks now.

Ive kept a log of her behavior when Im gone (recorded her). I teach so its 8-9 hrs alone. I know its long, but Im single and Chance adapted perfectly.

She whines within minutes of my departure (crated) until I introduced the Kong. That occupies her for about 30 min.

Tried crated by the window, with white noise, and a Kong treat...nope

Tried no crate in my room for about 2.5 hrs...nope. She tried to rip out the window, paced, panted, peed.

Today I tried about 2g of Melatonin an hour before I left (shes about 59 lbs) and did nothing. (This is along with Animal planet on and a Kong) Today she actually ripped apart the bed that was inside.

My next idea is a thunder shirt which should be here by Thursday. Was gonna try 3g melatonin too before hand.

Just to add....Ive done the whole leave for 5min, 15min, crate her while Im home, stare her down till she relaxes, etc. Shes a chewer too...

I need more advice! Just not keen on jumping into meds from vet. Any thoughts on CBD oil for pets? Great reviews on Amazon but not 100% sold on that eitheFirst

First make sure she has gone out 2 times in between food and watered well.....Give her a chance to succeed by making sure her living situation is (NOT CLUTTERED). So a clean tidy home i find is best. Now play some low music,Country,Christian or classical also give her nice meaty Knuckle bone from the butcher block to keep her busy while your gone dont give your dog a dozen different toys keep her world as simple as possible. When you leave just leave dont make it tangible in any way when you return give it 10 mins before you lovingly engage your grey..She will soon understand you will return..Best advice for help with anxieties across the board in Greys. Also lift up blinds greys can and will destroy them while trying to look out.

Edited by fireboy

Louie

She was at a greyhound rescue, crated as all their dogs are, for the two weeks she was there. I can get a hold of them and ask for advice as well.

Ya know I thought of the whining and reacting thing the same way (it tells her I come when she whines), yet another greyhound site said to do that.

Should we nit sleep together at night? I feel like I messed up right off the bat and now trying to fix and totally confusing her. This is awful. I just want to do right by her. Thx for your advice!

When she was at the 'rescue' place she was not alone when she was in her crate. She was surrounded by other hounds.

She is not used to being left alone and I think she's making it quite clear that she does not want to be crated.

Where does she sleep now?

If she is not with you, but alone in another room and in her crate she will be very unhappy.

Set up a dog bed in your room and let her sleep there.

These hounds do not like being shut away from their people!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Mario (2nd Chance Rescue).   Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) and especially  Nigel (Nigel), waiting at the Bridge

SKMsummer.jpg

When she was at the 'rescue' place she was not alone when she was in her crate. She was surrounded by other hounds.

She is not used to being left alone and I think she's making it quite clear that she does not want to be crated.

Where does she sleep now?

If she is not with you, but alone in another room and in her crate she will be very unhappy.

Set up a dog bed in your room and let her sleep there.

These hounds do not like being shut away from their people!

I got a hold of the Greyhound rescue and she said she was fine, but she was obviously not alone. She said to try 4-6mg of melatonin instead of the 2.1g I did that didn’t even touch her anxiety

She sleeps with me! I tried the crate in my room but the second night she wouldn’t stop whining so I caved. She’s never alone in a room except when I’m gonna for work.

First make sure she has gone out 2 times in between food and watered well.....Give her a chance to succeed by making sure her living situation is (NOT CLUTTERED). So a clean tidy home i find is best. Now play some low music,Country,Christian or classical also give her nice meaty Knuckle bone from the butcher block to keep her busy while your gone dont give your dog a dozen different toys keep her world as simple as possible. When you leave just leave dont make it tangible in any way when you return give it 10 mins before you lovingly engage your grey..She will soon understand you will return..Best advice for help with anxieties across the board in Greys. Also lift up blinds greys can and will destroy them while trying to look out.

I let her out around 6am, feed and water. I get ready for work and let her out again around 7:30 before I leave and she usually does 1 & 2 again...def 2.

I’ll try classical, but usually had a noise machine or Animal Planet on, window shades open to see out, no toys in crate except for Kong. I’ll try the ignoring when I get home form10 min tomorrow Thx!

How often is she walked?

Perhaps a brisk 20 minute walk/jog before you leave would help.

SKMsummer.jpg

I got a hold of the Greyhound rescue and she said she was fine, but she was obviously not alone. She said to try 4-6mg of melatonin instead of the 2.1g I did that didn’t even touch her anxiety

She sleeps with me! I tried the crate in my room but the second night she wouldn’t stop whining so I caved. She’s never alone in a room except when I’m gonna for work.

I let her out around 6am, feed and water. I get ready for work and let her out again around 7:30 before I leave and she usually does 1 & 2 again...def 2.

I’ll try classical, but usually had a noise machine or Animal Planet on, window shades open to see out, no toys in crate except for Kong. I’ll try the ignoring when I get home form10 min tomorrow Thx!

Give her a nice knuckle bone to chew on from the butcher block...absolutely do not engage her when your getting ready to leave. And out the Door. I felt bad the first few times i did it now it dosent bug me and he is doing great. Also when you come back do not engage her for 5-10 mins at all...let her calm down. let her figure out its just another day at the office..Is the kong noisy?..

Louie

How often is she walked?

Perhaps a brisk 20 minute walk/jog before you leave would help.

Every morning and evening. To update, the greyhound rescue said to try 5-6mg of melatonin. As of now I’ve tried 4.2mg and it does nothing lol. She was much better today with staring out the window 90% of the day and playing with her kong. She still whines but not as much ...so that may be the melatonin. What’s your view on melatonin and the dosage of 5mg? She’s about 60lbs and not even 2 yrs old (puppy energy taking over?)