Daily Aspirin (1/2 81Mg) For Prevention Of Strokes

Last week my Frankie came inside from running around and he was slightly limping on a rear leg - he was putting leg down but, not full pressure. By the next day, it had swelled slightly right above the paw (hock) but, no more limping. I tried to get appointment with a grey savvy vet but had to wait until today - they could give me an appointment with someone else, but I decided to wait. I gave Tramadol for a few days and the swelling went down by the end of the week.

Today at the grey-savvy vet, he ruled out pretty much all he could without a bunch of tests and as I noted, all symptoms gone today. We did end up discussing that this might be a possible clot which would explain the limping followed by the swelling. He is recommending 1/2 81mg aspirin a day and he stated that this follows with research that Dr. Couto has been doing (note that I have not talked about this with Dr. Couto). It seems that some greyhounds have had similar occurrences right after some exercise (some while doing an easy walk). The vet suggested that I carry aspirin when I walk the dog ... just in case.

I remember some posts on people giving their greyhounds aspirin but my search turned up nothing.

Has anyone here had an issue like a stroke with their greyhound where they ended up giving 1/2 aspirin or is anyone giving this as a preventative after an incident like I have described. Note, this location is not indicative of osteo.

Calvin got very sick this past winter. He started out limping, but then became very weak and feverish. Found a UTI, treated with antibiotics, trip to the e-vet, switched antibiotics.... Limping went away, but had very bad back end weakness. Eventually he got better, UTI was gone, etc, but the back end weakness remained. This was in a 4 year old greyhound. We tried a variety of different things, and no effect. Considered spinal infection, all kinds of things. Our vet (possibly the one you went to--extremely greyhound-savvy, friends with Couto, etc.) couldn't get a handle on the neurological aspects because he was presenting differently every time he examined him.

Finally, we were at the point of, hopefully this will improve and maybe I should try physical therapy for him, when the vet said, "we haven't tried aspirin on him, have we?"

TWO days later....Calvin leaped onto the couch and then that night leaped onto my very high bed. He hadn't been able to even climb on the couch in 6 weeks. He continued to get better and within a week was back to normal. RIDICULOUSLY fast and crazy. He's been fine ever since, thank goodness.

Final assumption based on his response to the aspirin is that he is one of the greyhounds they have found that seem to get micro-clots here and there. The clots form, cause lameness, etc, then break up and go away. Then they happen in a different spot. They don't know why, but Dr. Couto has taken note of it. (Although Calvin did not present as they usually do, if I recall. Of course. Apparently they usually throw a clot much more suddenly and have much more dramatic paralysis.) To prevent further ones, I have had Calvin on 1/2 81 mg of aspirin daily since. (We don't know 100% that this is what happened, but I was told that this amount of aspirin is negligible as far as his system goes, so it's pretty much harmless.) Since I worry about this happening again, or worse, I have kept him on it. So far, so good.

Interestingly enough, he is also prone to small hemangiomas (little blood blister thingies). He has several, and has had others cauterized. They break open every now and then and bleed like a murder scene. I can't help but think it could be related somehow.....)

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Today at the grey-savvy vet, he ruled out pretty much all he could without a bunch of tests and as I noted, all symptoms gone today.

I'm glad he's doing better, but I wanted to ask if your vet did x-rays on Frankie. Limping always makes me fear osteo, and I don't dismiss that possibility without x-rays.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm glad he's doing better, but I wanted to ask if your vet did x-rays on Frankie. Limping always makes me fear osteo, and I don't dismiss that possibility without x-rays.

The swelling was in an area of the leg not usually associated with osteo and the swelling has gone away as well as the pain. He is on nothing right now and no pain or swelling so, not sounding like osteo although, if it swells or looks like he has pain, the x-ray will be the next step.

Calvin got very sick this past winter. He started out limping, but then became very weak and feverish. Found a UTI, treated with antibiotics, trip to the e-vet, switched antibiotics.... Limping went away, but had very bad back end weakness. Eventually he got better, UTI was gone, etc, but the back end weakness remained. This was in a 4 year old greyhound. We tried a variety of different things, and no effect. Considered spinal infection, all kinds of things. Our vet (possibly the one you went to--extremely greyhound-savvy, friends with Couto, etc.) couldn't get a handle on the neurological aspects because he was presenting differently every time he examined him.

Finally, we were at the point of, hopefully this will improve and maybe I should try physical therapy for him, when the vet said, "we haven't tried aspirin on him, have we?"

TWO days later....Calvin leaped onto the couch and then that night leaped onto my very high bed. He hadn't been able to even climb on the couch in 6 weeks. He continued to get better and within a week was back to normal. RIDICULOUSLY fast and crazy. He's been fine ever since, thank goodness.

Final assumption based on his response to the aspirin is that he is one of the greyhounds they have found that seem to get micro-clots here and there. The clots form, cause lameness, etc, then break up and go away. Then they happen in a different spot. They don't know why, but Dr. Couto has taken note of it. (Although Calvin did not present as they usually do, if I recall. Of course. Apparently they usually throw a clot much more suddenly and have much more dramatic paralysis.) To prevent further ones, I have had Calvin on 1/2 81 mg of aspirin daily since. (We don't know 100% that this is what happened, but I was told that this amount of aspirin is negligible as far as his system goes, so it's pretty much harmless.) Since I worry about this happening again, or worse, I have kept him on it. So far, so good.

Interestingly enough, he is also prone to small hemangiomas (little blood blister thingies). He has several, and has had others cauterized. They break open every now and then and bleed like a murder scene. I can't help but think it could be related somehow.....)

Very interesting and I'm sure that we went to the same vet. This is exactly the information that I was looking for - the potential for the microclots ... seems to be in greyhounds and maybe in certain genetic lines.

It's good to hear that Calvin is on the aspirin and no side effects from that. That was something I was hoping someone could provide for a greyhound with their funky bleeding issues.

Thanks!

Do you by chance know where the clot was ?.

No. I couldn't afford an MRI. He just woke up one morning and fell over on one side. The vet said she could tell it was a stroke by his eyes. He had a second milder stroke a couple of years later. Two strokes, pancreatitis and several years of diabetes. Those mini poodles from the K-Mart parking lot are tough.. :)

Thoughts to you and Frankie. One of my vets was Dr.. Cuto's protege and dated his daughter. :lol I don't think he'd charge you much if anything to pick his brain. PM me if you need his contact info. Dr Stack may also give her two cents for ...less than two cents.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

No. I couldn't afford an MRI. He just woke up one morning and fell over on one side. The vet said she could tell it was a stroke by his eyes. He had a second milder stroke a couple of years latter. Two strokes, pancreatitis and several years of diabetes. Those mini poodles from the K-Mart parking lot are tough.. :)

Thoughts to you and Frankie. One of my vets was Dr.. Cuto's protege and dated his daughter. :lol I don't think he'd charge you much if anything to pick his brain. PM me if you need his contact info. Dr Stack may also give her two cents for ...less than two cents.

I was wondering what the symptoms were and in Poodle's case, if he fell over it was likely spinal or head. I'm not a big fan of MRI's on dogs unless it is going to change treatment plan. I think this vet is in contact with Dr. Couto so, I'm not planning on contacting him yet about this case although, I have talked to him in the past about my other dogs.