New Owner Advice Please

Guest Turts

Would love some advice from you wonderful people, have been reading some of your other responses and so many of you are so knowledgable and experienced so hopefully you can help me too! Three weeks ago we adopted a beautiful little blue girl who is 22 months old. She had been shipped to the UK from Ireland (with a broken foot) and placed in a temporary kennel by the rescue centre. Unfortunately they discovered the kennels were not treating the dogs well so they had to be quickly moved, my girl went to a racing trainers kennels (a very kind loving one though not a stereotypical one) this is were we met her. She then went into foster care for 2 weeks whilst she was neutered. We knew from the start we were getting a very nervous girl so expected a challenge. She has settled amazingly not one accident in the house, eats well, plays with her toys and loves her zoomies in the garden. She adores me and will follow me everywhere in the house and goes nuts when I get in from work. So whats my problem then you are probably thinking!? Two things, 1st on walks she is so anxious keeps stopping to check behind her and gets terrified if she shes another dog. 2nd she is not showing any signs of bonding the my husband or son and will often growl at them if then get too near her face and actually snapped at my son last night. My son is adult and is her secondary career when Im at work and walks her every morning(I do the evening) he is devastated as he was desperate to get her! Is it just a case of time and/or can I do anything to help her both with walks and male bonding! Sorry for long post but no point giving you half a story! Many thanks

Time and patience.

And more time.

You new girlie (what's her name?) has been through a LOT of changes in the past few weeks.

Give her space in the house ... don't overwhelm her.

Let her approach you. Give her delicious treats and very quietly praise her.

Don't bend over her...many greys do not like people in 'their space'. They are used to being in their own private space.

Our Ruby growled if you tried to sit beside her ... and even after being here for 7 years (she is 11 1/2 now) she can still have the odd moment of 'space anxiety'.

Perhaps shorter walks...turn around and come home before she gets anxious. Tasty treats can help.

She has probably never seen a different breed of dog.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Congratulations on your new friend, and welcome!

To expand on the above -- one recommended method to give them space but yet attract them is to have your husband or son sit on the floor or on a very low seat, facing away from where the dog is. Let the dog be a little hungry. Let the human have some delicious treats and hold them openly. If the dog takes a few steps in the human's direction, gently roll a treat toward her. Lure her in, but without eye contact, which can be viewed as a challenge. Do as often as it takes to gradually make the dog comfortable with approaching the human and seeing him as a source of yummy goodness.

How is her foot doing?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thank you for responding was thinking of trying the treat idea she is called Bella and her foot is fine thanks! I couldn’t be happier to have her but feel so sorry for my son especially we found a lovely quieter area of beach this morning only came across 2 dogs but can only really go of a weekend until the lighter nights come back! She Is too anxious on walks to take any of her usual treats may try some sausage or meat next time. Thank you again, never had a grey before so ALL advice is welcome x

I don't think my dogs liked me much in their first year! Don't worry, they will come around. They are incredibly sensitive and need time and patience to bond. High value treats thrown on the floor by them throughout the day will make all of you seem way more appealing. "Huh, food just falls out in front of me when they walk by, so that's kinda cool, maybe they ain't so bad....." The walking will be a little harder to overcome but basically she is just unsure of her surroundings. Hard to say what she might have encountered in the past. Might be prudent to walk her with a harness though, and again, high value treats as rewards and training to have her attention on you instead of what's behind her.

Also, instead of food (she might not be into this yet) a toy! Toys are great rewards too and can be a welcome distraction! Both my boys bonded with the first stuffie they got and it became a security blanket and best friend! Kasey actually would take his bear out on walks with him. :D

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Time, space and patience ..... I agree with everything already posted. Seems weird that letting them be and ignoring them until they are ready to seek you out is the best method. Maybe your son could be in charge of feeding? Every grey we’ve ever had has been very food motivated and reward motivated. So easy to train if treats are involved . Before you know it Bella will he seeking you out for affection, she’s been through tremendous changes in her short life — but the best is yet to come for her.

Congratulations on getting your Bella. Just hang in there, slowly, patiently, no pressure.

My Peggy (also from Ireland and adopted very young after just 6 races and weak ankle too), was a bit growly and scared of an older family member.

Learning dog body languagegace the necessary insight to help fix this (Calming Signals) and even sending some of it back to her. As already mentioned, never let anyone loom over her or get in her face. Always, when they're there, make sure Bella's exit or entrance doesn't have to go directly past them.

Walking as a normal dog will take some time and you'll need to show her that you have the issues covered by not walking close to unknown dogs. When she sees them, Bella needs to be able to do some displacement activity like sniffing the ground and looking away. The other dog, if it's polite, will be doing the same thing too.

Take a look at the intro to my Peggy's photo gallery where there's a bit of an explanation of it if you like.

And about those body language issues here:

Would love some advice from you wonderful people, have been reading some of your other responses and so many of you are so knowledgable and experienced so hopefully you can help me too! Three weeks ago we adopted a beautiful little blue girl who is 22 months old. She had been shipped to the UK from Ireland (with a broken foot) and placed in a temporary kennel by the rescue centre. Unfortunately they discovered the kennels were not treating the dogs well so they had to be quickly moved, my girl went to a racing trainers kennels (a very kind loving one though not a stereotypical one) this is were we met her. She then went into foster care for 2 weeks whilst she was neutered. We knew from the start we were getting a very nervous girl so expected a challenge. She has settled amazingly not one accident in the house, eats well, plays with her toys and loves her zoomies in the garden. She adores me and will follow me everywhere in the house and goes nuts when I get in from work. So whats my problem then you are probably thinking!? Two things, 1st on walks she is so anxious keeps stopping to check behind her and gets terrified if she shes another dog. 2nd she is not showing any signs of bonding the my husband or son and will often growl at them if then get too near her face and actually snapped at my son last night. My son is adult and is her secondary career when Im at work and walks her every morning(I do the evening) he is devastated as he was desperate to get her! Is it just a case of time and/or can I do anything to help her both with walks and male bonding! Sorry for long post but no point giving you half a story! Many thanks

So my name is Louie..And my owners have been very patient with me since the beginning of my adoption (3.5 weeks ago) they really didnt know i chose them however i let them believe this fact. As a rule of thumb when it comes to adopting especially us greys we are very smart and more owl like. We dont speak a lot we mostly listen,learn and watch. However because we are so intuitive if we have been abused it cuts down to the bone quick. So Naturally it is gonna take time for us to trust. Depending on the circumstances. But fear not if you continue to love us quietly and are not pushy we will come to adore you like you do us thus breaking this mild frosty spell..As per the walking. Remember the world is still very large and new to me. And i am a sight hound remember!. Couple that with brilliant hearing and even small things unrealized to humans are amazing and curious to me. You will have to usher me thru this time of change. With love and assurance. And occasional baby vanilla ice creams because they taste good.

Edited by fireboy

Louie

Let me tell you about my Henry. He came to me as a very timid boy, scared of everything on our walks and especially scared of men. I met his trainer at a greyhound picnic and learned that all of his attendants (including the trainer, whom he adored) had been women. Men were strange to Henry and therefore scary. It took time and patience, but slowly some men became his favorite people. To help Henry learn to like them, I would have them speak quietly, squat down to interact with him, give him treats and never bend over the dog. Or they could just ignore Henry, pet his sister and let Henry get jealous. I hope your son finds this encouraging.