Hypoallergenic Food/diet

My non-greyhound has experienced allergies over the years. He is now 8 years old. I have understood and have been told it was food allergies. I stopped all chicken and grain products. He was fine on Natural Balance for about 1.5 years and then started having problems. Long story short, he now has swelling in his anal area, His anal glands were expressed, and I agreed to a one time shot of Cytopoint.

He was checked one week after the injection, and he seemed to be improving (less scratching)

Two weeks later, he was checked again by vet and the swelling in his anal area hadn't improved. So, vet diagnosis: food allerigies. They suggested hypoallergenic food (Royal Canin or Hills). I tried the Hills before, and his stools were like pudding, so they allowed me to return it and gave me credit.

My question is, the Hills diet was hydrolyzed chicken protein. The Royal Canin is also hydrolyzed protein (not sure if it is chicken),,,and it's very expensive. I am unsure about purchasing it, since he didn't tolerate the Hills hydrolyzed protein.

I know it's a different brand, but I am not sure what to do here.

Lola has been having issues with hives, red, itchy skin and anus. She's been on Royal Canin Hydrolized kibble and canned for two months and is taking Apoquel. Her itching has improved and she's not had an outbreak of hives since starting the Apoquel. She's not 100% better, though. We've got another two month's trial on the diet and Apoquel. Next step is a dermatologist. And, yes, Royal Canin is the best hydrolized diet but is exorbitantly expensive. What a mission!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Chicken is a super common food allergen. Move to another LID (limited ingredient diet) non chicken if possible. Hint that turkey is not in the same family of poultry (duck is). It might be worth doing a blood test for allergens. Its not as good as a skin test but it'll tell you the major ingredients to avoid. Interesting tho I have never heard of an anal issue like that appearing as an allergy.

Food trials with kibble are very lengthy. I finally went to raw (I know it's not for everyone) but wish I made the jump sooner. 99.9% of the problems were resolved and what remained (essentially environmental allergens) prednisone kept at bay.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015