New Owner - Walking Started Off Great! Now Not So Much...

Hi, you might find it gets easier in warm weather. My grey is a nightmare for statuing in winter, especially if there is traffic. However, her enjoyment of being outside seems to override her fear somewhat when the weather is nice and she's much less likely to freeze up. We despair of her inactivity over winter and feel like she'll never go on walks again, then come spring she's bouncing around our sitting room demanding to be walked. We find she's much better when walked with another dog. Do you have anyone with a dog who could accompany you?

Thanks for posting about your grey's inactivity in winter. I was beginning worry and think my Grace had turned into a stuffy due to her ability to sleep even longer, if that's possible, and not interested in going for walks. She hasn't even done a zoomie for nearly a couple of months.

Looking forward to spring and a reinvigorated greyhound.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Hi HeyRunDog, I'm in the NW UK so we'll be having similar weather. Every winter she is like this (and so are my cats), so I'm assuming they are just sensible! When I say 'walk' to hear she always looks out the window first! She has regular vet checkups and seems perfectly healthy so I just go with it.

A martingale collar shouldn't hurt her if it's adjusted properly but harness is a good idea just make sure it's for a greyhound and fits properly. I caused some bruising on the sides of my Grace with a harness. :( But you live and learn.

I tried using a harness. While we were in the car heading for the park, my beautiful greyhound was in the back seat chewing on the harness. It was strapped under her chest

according to directions-but was now torn. I figured there was something wrong with the harness and bought another one. The same thing happened. I'm open to suggestions as to a particular kind of harness. Thanks