A Little Advice Please

Hi All,

I adopted a ex racing boy around 2months ago and at the start everything seemed great and he seemed happy, albeit very nevous of everything.

Now that he has settled into my home a little bit, he has shown a tiny bit of interest in playing with toys (usually doesnt go past a few mouth snaps and the odd bark) but i see this as a good sign.

He is very gentle, loves every human he meets and will happily stand and get petted by anybody. He has always been fine with me up to now and loves a stroke, brush and a cuddle.

However lately, he seems to have days where he doesn't even want to know me. He will get exited when I come home, but for the rest of the evening he will lie down, look at me with sad eyes and will huff/puff/yawn and not bother to even have any interaction. I originally put this down to not letting him on the sofa anymore and assumed he was just in a mood. I don't have any issues with him being on the sofa, but if I let him on the sofa, he will remain there for 24hours and will not move, even for a walk or food. Should I be letting him on the sofa? Would his change in behavior account for this? Have I don't the wrong thing by upsetting his routine?

Also, he is constantly yawning all of the time - I've googled this and all that comes up is that the dog is stressed or anxious. Is this true? He yawns constantly and I mean every 10minutes 24hours per day. Surely he is not tired as he gets enough sleep and I have no idea what he could be anxious about. He also pants heavily when he is lying down sometimes.

I have read that greys can take along time to come out of their shell and show their personality, should I stop worrying and just get on with it? I just want him to show that he is actually happy where he is, as long as he is ok, I'm fine with however he treats me.

Edited by Gilly91

24cw9z8.png

Congrats on your new boy! We have a new boy as well (got him in Aug), and it sounds to me like you're doing just fine, your guy is just still settling in, figuring out what his "pet" personality is going to be. I don't think he's holding some sort of 'grudge' about no longer being on the couch, but even if he is a little grumpy about it - it's your couch and you're the boss! If he's not up, chin in your lap, eye-begging to be on there with you (what ours does) I don't think it's that. Was being on the couch a significant part of his routine? I think of a routine as feeding times, outside times, human coming and going times - if none of that has changed I think he'll survive on his own bed (and not the couch).

Obviously, I don't know what his normal behavior at that time of day used to look like (passed out cold on the sofa?), but it makes sense that he's settling in to the point where just lounging around even when you're home is normal. Greys are much different than other dogs (at least most I've met) in that they don't behave like they constantly need attention and are perfectly happy just laying around near you. And I think they have "sad eyes" like 80% of the time, so I try not to read too much into that.

As for the yawning, that does seem like a lot, and I think you're right about it being a calming signal more than tiredness. Any chance that something has changed at your house recently that would spook him a little but that you wouldn't notice? Like the furnace turning on and off?

Our guy does a lot of what I now know are calming signals when we come home for the day, so I've tried to acquaint myself with them to try to communicate back to him - encouraging the calm. I'd say, yawn right back at your boy.

Here's a link I like for explaining calming signals - http://en.turid-rugaas.no/calming-signals---the-art-of-survival.html

As long as you aren't seeing negative changes with eating/drinking/pottying, I think the evening lounging (even if a little huffy puffy) is probably a-ok

So far so good. Greyhounds are unlike other dogs. Often they are not really big on affection, but they do enjoy companionship if that makes sense. My experience has been that the not wanting anything to do with you is just simply a typical trait. I've often wanted and just needed a cuddle, but alas - it's not in the genes! He's still new and settling in as well and some do turn into real cuddle bugs. As far as the yawning goes, indeed he could be stressed, but he could be bored! Are you trying any training? Do you play any mental stimulating games with him - ie. sniffing out treats. Not only will this help him overcome a bit of boredom but it's a great opportunity for you both to bond.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Is he getting enough exercise? Whether you need to walk for potties or have a yard, he may need a little more intentional play time and moving around. It's hard to do during this time of the year with it getting dark so early, but try playing games and doing short training sessions to keep him engaged mentally and physically. It will also help you bond with each other.

If he continues to pant a lot you also might consider a vet visit to rule out something being painful. A DAP diffuser can also help with his nervousness.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Is he getting enough exercise? Whether you need to walk for potties or have a yard, he may need a little more intentional play time and moving around. It's hard to do during this time of the year with it getting dark so early, but try playing games and doing short training sessions to keep him engaged mentally and physically. It will also help you bond with each other.

THIS ^^^

I wouldn't worry. Sounds like my hound and 2 months is nothing. Some can take a year to totally develop their personalities.

Grace appears to ignore me most of the time but she's always watching and as long as she knows where I am she's happy. She doesn't snuggle up on the sofa but will also sleep on it most of the day. She greets me when I come home from work by bowing, tail wagging, fetching her toys and bouncing with delight. Morning walks are no problem but to get her to go for her evening walk she ignores me until I lift her off the sofa and then she'll go happily.

As for her toys, she ignored them for the first 8 to 10 weeks now she happily plays with them as long as they are furry and squeak. I have even bought replacement squeakers and performed squeaker transplants they have been loved that much.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Congratulations, you have a tall cat. :hehe Stella is much like this, she lays on her bed, will not jump on my bed or the furniture, even if invited, she gets excited to go for a walk and seems mildly pleased to see me when I get home from work. That could be just to get to her water dish. She will cuddle with me if I lay on her bed, but that lasts about 15 mins and she moves. I think you take the good with the bad. The flip side is she has no behavioral problems, no separation anxiety, gets along with anyone and boards well when I go out of town. She is more animated than she was and I have had her a year, but I don't think she will change much more. I think this is who she is.