Sign in to follow this  
Daks

Dog Bed Recommendations?

So last night was pretty rough, our recently adopted hound was pacing all night, thought he might prefer to sleep on the couch instead of his dog bed in the bedroom so I opened up the door and he did go straight to the couch, but then for the next few hours he would just pace between the couch and our bedroom- like he was torn between being comfortable in the living room and being near people. At 3 am I broke down and dragged the long couch cushion into the bedroom and he stayed down until I woke up at about 7am. So I'm thinking it might be time for a more comfortable dog bed- one that he can stretch out on and has plenty of cushion. He's a large hound so something on the large to jumbo size.

Costco sells lots of large round beds that are rather inexpensive. I have 5!

Next up would be a Slumberball, but I think they have recently been discontinued.

I also have owned a Mammoth bed for quite some time. 2 of them. They don't stand up to all the nesting my boys have done over the years though, but serve their purpose as well as they have nice bolsters on the edges for extra lounging around.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

It will take some time for your new fellow (what's his name?) to settle into the routine of his new home.

Most Greyhounds want to sleep near their humans so he will need a bed in your bedroom... as well as one or two others in the rooms where you spend most of your time.

We also have multiple Costco dog beds.... 4 in the kitchen, 2 in the mud room, one in the living room and 4 upstairs in the bedrooms.

They are large enough for our hounds, inexpensive and the covers come off for washing.

NSK-Winter.jpg.a6ea578c2e544932c5222b81cda3216d.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

I'd recommend trying out one type of bed at a time, or buying several different relatively inexpensive beds, until your pup lets you know which type he prefers.

Milo eventually destroys anything with foam. I have learned this the hard way.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

It will take some time for your new fellow (what's his name?) to settle into the routine of his new home.

Most Greyhounds want to sleep near their humans so he will need a bed in your bedroom... as well as one or two others in the rooms where you spend most of your time.

We also have multiple Costco dog beds.... 4 in the kitchen, 2 in the mud room, one in the living room and 4 upstairs in the bedrooms.

They are large enough for our hounds, inexpensive and the covers come off for washing.

His name is Dakar,

He'll sleep on the couch for hours at a time, but as soon as it's time to go to bed he drags his feet like he doesn't want to leave the couch...But he also doesn't want to be alone. We've had him for a little over a month and he seems to go through waves of not sleeping well. One night he won't budge from his bed, the next he'll be up all night (like last night). I don't really want to dismantle my couch every night just to get some sleep ;)

I'll look into to Costco beds, thanks!

If you can get two of their round or square beds, stack them together. All mine have loved that option, even staying in the room with the stacked up beds while I'm vacuuming!

They do like to be up off the floor, for whatever reason. If you can find a way to do that, he'll be happier. ;)

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Perhaps he was cold? I’ve noticed mine get restless like you described on cold nights (yes, we have some here in Florida), and after I cover them with baby blankets, they sleep peacefully. If you think this may be the case, you may want to buy a pair of doggie pajamas for him.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Our local Costco has the coveted bolster beds right now. I've yet to meet a greyhound who didn't like them. I think they've come down in price, too, used to be 45.99, now 42.99!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Perhaps he was cold? I’ve noticed mine get restless like you described on cold nights (yes, we have some here in Florida), and after I cover them with baby blankets, they sleep peacefully. If you think this may be the case, you may want to buy a pair of doggie pajamas for him.

I will second this. Restlessness and being cold seem to be common in some hounds. A pair of pajamas or a flannel housecoat may be all he needs to settle down. I've never had a dog turn down a new bed though...

Check out Miss Irene's flannel housecoats at houndtime.com Rocket loved his housecoats and would wear also them on walks when it was chilly here in AZ. We had heavier coats for walks when we lived in IL, but the housecoats took care of the cold more often than not. He would let us put them on him at night and would sleep through the night without fussing when it was cold.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Always missing my boy Hi Noon Rocket. The home of Petunia, MW Neptunia and Kate, Miss Kate.

Costco bolster beds are a huge hit for night-time here. Can you put a blanket on the couch, so it smells like him, and then put it on his bed at night?

Beth, Henry, and Peter (Petey). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), and Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020) you were loved more than you can know.

They do like to be up off the floor, for whatever reason.

So they can dangle various body parts off into space, for whatever reason. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

I will second this. Restlessness and being cold seem to be common in some hounds. A pair of pajamas or a flannel housecoat may be all he needs to settle down. I've never had a dog turn down a new bed though...

Check out Miss Irene's flannel housecoats at houndtime.com Rocket loved his housecoats and would wear also them on walks when it was chilly here in AZ. We had heavier coats for walks when we lived in IL, but the housecoats took care of the cold more often than not. He would let us put them on him at night and would sleep through the night without fussing when it was cold.

We do sleep with the house pretty cool, usually between 64-68 so I tried leaving his fleece on him and put a blanket over him and that (combined with dragging the couch cushion into the bedroom) seemed to have helped. He was up at 3 am but I led him back to the cushion and put the blanket back over him and he went back to sleep. Can't believe I'm tucking in a dog :lol: Hopefully this and the new bed will have solved the restlessness!

Elaine's Pet Pillows are the BEST.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

just make sure the bed has a washable cover and it's big enough for him to sprall out on and fall off. ythe slumber ball's interior lining is not great, but he exterior shell holds up and my dogs LOVE LOVE LOVE it! drs. foster's and smith carries them. this is not my dog, saw it and sent it to a friend who just purchased a slumber ball. it's pretty typical! good luck w/ your new pup!46476999_2126104554075516_10444839054842

I'm super bitter about this slumberball business I wanted to get one for the new girl. Anyone have recommendations for a similar style of bed? We have bolster beds, and the Costco ones, but Miss Molli-Moo is a nester and they don't seem fit for her highness. :rolleyes:

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

do check out both eBay and general google listing for slumber balls. there are some slightly smaller models out there. the cover on mine is fine, the interior sack fell apart(from nesting) and i now have what's left of the liner and 3 pillows inside of one of the slumber balls. it's a pain to wash the covers since taking it off means party time for jamie! and there is green fiber all over the house in two seconds.

It's official. Slumberballs are discontinued. :(

I just emailed Dr.F&S to let them know how unhappy the greyhound world is. Maybe others could do the same and get them to change their minds. I have 3 of them and I have a hard time getting the dogs out of them to go outside!

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Couldnt have been more grateful to get a warning on this forum, that the slumberballs were being discontinued. I was quick to order my friend and I one (for our greys) while they still had some. No regrets.

I happened to find a few decent Costco beds before I bought the slumberball.

Since Lora died from eating 2 pounds of stuffing after tearing apart her beloved Slumberball (she was grieving for Finn, who had osteosarcoma and she was behaving strangely) I decided to switch bed types.

Next bed is a Carhartt. Designed for rough and tumble hunting and working dogs, wears like iron and is still sufficiently lofty for tender greyhound tushies.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg