Monty (Kmj Ranger) 1/27/2006-10/5/2018

Fruitycake

I couldn't do this until now.

Monty came into our life as a "medical needs" dog because of seizures when he was training in Dubuque. We had filled out the adoption forms looking for an older dog, more experienced with home life, and hopefully a 'bounce' whose attitudes, training, and likes and dislikes would be well known. We received a call about a dog that had seizures (or a seizure) of unknown type at the track, and since we were the only potential adopters that had checkmarked the "would accept a senior/medical needs dog" on the application, were we interested? We said we'd have to think about it and do research, and get back to them. So we did, looking for the worst case scenarios (and the best) to see if we could handle it. We did our research here, where many were generous with their knowledge and experiences, good and bad, and decided we would do it. It was a wonderful decision.

Not that things were always happiness and sunshine, mind you. He had never been expected to potty while on leash, and we got him just before winter and both worked full-time days. He was very shy about doing anything with us there, so it often took up to and even over an hour and a half for him to do his business - because we had no fenced yard. This was every time we went out for the first half year. Actually, I should say first 3 months and then the 'second first three months' because he had 5 or 6 seizures (tonic clonic/grand mal) in 24 hours at around the 3 month mark at our house and was like a wiped slate because he lost all memory/training but his name. So we had to start again with training. And he lost his 'big boy bark' too, and reverted to a little puppy bark, which caused me to laugh at him and him to look extremely disappointed when he beg-barked at us when we ate dinner. It is seriously hard to look at a 75 lb greyhound, in a nearly two year old body, and hear a 3-month old puppy bark emerge without laughing yourself to tears. And then laughing more because he looked so disgusted at you for laughing.

But he got on medicine that day, and the first type (phenobarbitol) worked and he never had another seizure. But we were prepared to try the different medicines we had read of here, and different dosages, and do whatever it took if they were controllable. And give him the best life for however long as we could, if not. So it was *almost* the best-case scenario, which was great news for us.

He was a good dog, pretty much from the start. Showed absolutely no interest in chasing the cats (or anything, really -even squirrels ran by and he'd look startled rather than interested). He was ruled with an iron paw by my cat Fruitcake, who took no guff from any dog, and who let him know that our laps were her territory and he was not to intrude. But once, if only once, she showed him care and affection. After he had his first seizure, in our kitchen at night, and we went out to help him as he came out of it, she came up to him as I held him and purred at him and rubbed and gave him licks on his legs. As if trying to reassure him, as he stood there trembling and looking lost and confused and wondering what was going on. I do not know why she did it, but I would like to think it was exactly what it looked like and she was also trying to reassure him that everything would turn out fine. She never did it again, but that was the sweetest thing I had ever seen her do.

So, he went on meds, re-learned stairs, windows, pottying on leash, the few commands we had worked on with him, who neighbors were and settled into a pretty good routine again. And he loved everyone but kids, who frightened him. I didn't blame him, because fast-moving, loud and high pitched kids make me nervous, too! And he loved his walks. Hated coming home, but if you were walking away from the house I swear he would continue forever. Some of our walks were over seven miles, and the only time he's slow was when we got within two blocks of home and suddenly he'd turn into exhausted-dog and just drag...but if you turned and redirected away again, he got back all his energy and looked like we'd just set out. Funny boy!

We got him a keeshond sister, Allie, who was more than slightly neurotic and nervous and loved him fiercely. She loved her big brother so much, it was amazing to see something make her nervous and she would immediately look to her brother for reassurance. We'd gotten her because it seemed he might be lonely, and while he seemed pretty indifferent, I think he was the best thing in her life. He was so calm in so many situations that made her frightened that we're surprised that she didn't learn to fear thunderstorms or fireworks from him. He helped her in social situations: putting himself forward for strangers to appreciate and let her come forward as she saw fit, or not. She usually would, after seeing him get some loving.

After my first two cats had both passed, we adopted two more and were a little concerned that they (the cats) might be nervous...but one didn't care, and the other loved him soooo much. Susie marched right up to him whenever he was lying down and would rub against him, groom his head, and sleep with her back pressed to him whenever she could. He would just sigh and roll his eyes at us at how ridiculous the cat was behaving, and could he be relieved of her excessive love, please? We would call her off, but she'd find him again and stick to him when she could. Especially after Allie passed, and Susie didn't have to share him. Our joke to him was that if he weren't so darned lovable that maybe Al and Susie wouldn't love him so desperately. It was so sweet seeing her curl up between his legs, and made ot look as if he was intentially curled up around her. He was a good big brother to her, too.

He had started having trouble with periodic stumbling and knuckling under of his back feet about two years ago, and started with coughing when eating and then periodically when lying down, so we did yet more research here and asked the vet about maybe getting him on something for laryngeal paralysis, and sent them what information we could. We even had the drug name to suggest, from here, and after doing research he was put on it. I'm not totally sure that it was working, but we did see one good side effect this summer: considerably reduced fear of thunderstorms, fireworks, and rain. He had gotten so afraid of thunderstorms that even hearing water fall on leaves outside, from a sprinkler, would send him quivering and hiding in the hallway. But this past summer he would sleep through rain, and sometimes wake to thunder, but put his head back down - and usually his hiding was confined to when our neighbor behind us would set off big booming fireworks. And when the weather radio would do the 'severe weather alert' tests. He was smart enough to have made the association of the alerts to actual thunderstorms and always hid when it sounded - for tests or for real.

His mobility had declined to where he could no longer get into the car for car rides, and he could not climb up the stairs at my Mom's house (not even for ice, his favorite favorite treat of all!) and needed to be carried up. His walks shortened, because we couldn't chance his collapsing far from home, and his appreciation for all the things he had loved slowly dimmed. He had a worse time getting up from his beds, and sometimes needed help, and sometimes seemed afraid to lie down. We knew his time was coming. When his back legs couldn't handle holding him up while standing for more than a few minutes, we knew it was time.

His passing was gentle, a relaxing and a release from the weight that his suddenly old body had become, and we know that we had the best dog and gave him the best life that we could. We miss him terribly, and know that there will never be another quite like him in our life. He set the bar very high for any dogs that follow, and so we're taking a break from dogs for a while.

He was a good, great dog. We are so glad we were the ones graced with his presence in our lives. And we've had to tell so many neighbors over the past month and a half, and they have all looked genuinely shocked and sad at his passing. He made so many friends, with his bounce and flirt at people he'd meet.

I'm going to miss him for a long time.

Monty was most certainly a much loved boy. And yes, you were the perfect home for him to just be him.

:brokenheart

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What a beautiful tribute to a very special boy. I love his indifference toward the cats and your descriptions of the funny things he did. There is nothing that brings more laughter to a home than a goofy greyhound boy.

Run-free Monty. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am so sorry. He was the perfect boy. Sending hugs. :grouphug:cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Your tribute is beautiful and heartfelt and telling. Monty was right where he was meant to be. I am so very sorry now for your loss. :grouphug

Godspeed good boy Monty.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

And there was the time he tried my hot Red Zinger tea and yelped and threw everything hither and yon, and I think I didn't find the tea bag until I watered the snakeplant (about 4 feet from the table where the tea was) about a month later....

And how he respected Fruity as Queen cat of the house, but offered his stuffies to poor, confused Shade Man (black, longhaired boy kitty) and asked him to play....

And how he ate nearly an entire 12 ounce jar of Jif peanut butter when I was in a hurry and hadn't quite tightened the top enough when we left after eating about a tablespoon of it ("Choosy dogs choose Jif" being left open on the counter for them)....

And how he managed to get my yogurt from the center of a bar height table by carefully pulling the tablecloth when I went to answer the front door....

And how much he loved to eat fresh snow clumps from the floor when you dropped it from your shoes when coming in from a fresh snowfall....

How he begged for his burgers by staring at the fridge hard enough that I'm surprised that the door didn't have burn holes in it....

How the people at the local coffee shop were prey to his beseeching stare through their door, so they would give him a biscuit every night at last walk....

How he always looked perplexed when dogs would bark at him as he walked by, looking around himself as if wondering who they could be upset by because it couldn't possibly be *him*....

What a character.

Perfect, funny, beautiful boy! Rest well.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Aw, I think Monty was a cat whisperer. I love dogs like that. I'm so sorry you lost your precious Monty. You gave him a wonderful life.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thank you so much for sharing your life with Monty.

I am so very sorry he had to leave.

What wonderful memories you have. Remember them...and smile......

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

What an incredible life he had with you. Everything people (and kitties) should be to a dog and vice versa. I'm so sorry he had to leave.

Godspeed, amazing fellow :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

One of the things I love -- and hate -- about GreyTalk is that you cry over the loss of dogs you never meet because you know how wonderful they were and always will be. I hope Monty's spirit gets his big boy bark back at the Bridge.

I'm so sorry :grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your tribute was beautiful, and perfect for your special boy. Rest well, Monty.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Sounds like you both had a wonderful life together. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so very sorry. You and he were meant for each other. Thank you for the remembrance.

Godspeed Monty.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)