Hello From A New Member, And Questions About Adopting A Galgo!

kightfam

Hello! I'm new here. I'm so grateful for this community! I have learned a lot already and referred to several threads as I've been learning about greyhounds, galgos, and lurchers and whether we might be a good fit for one of these beautiful dogs.

A quick introduction and few questions. My husband and I live in northern MN, USA, with our three kids and currently two adopted female (spayed) senior dogs. They are very mellow and happy go lucky and enjoy the company of other dogs. We are hoping to work with Minnesota Greyhound Rescue to adopt our next companion. They work with several other organizations to pull racers and lurchers from the US, greyhound/lurcher types from meat markets in Asia, and galgos in Spain (they work with FBM, which I saw referenced here quite a bit!).

We are really very open to all possibilities, in terms of breed, we'll mostly consider the individual dog and whether it can thrive with other dogs, kids, our activity level and lifestyle, etc. But I do think that a mellow male would generally be our best bet.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me a little more about what to expect from a a galgo that has been through FBM. What they experience, what they are accustomed to. There is one 5 year old male in particular that I've been inquiring about through MNGR, who was found abandoned in Sevilla. According to the rescue, he is calm in new situations, compatible with kids, dogs, walks well on a leash, and is not nervous, and not dominant.

If we do adopt him, I'm wondering what we should be aware of or careful about. We plan to do the "two week shut down" routine to help him ease in, will keep him leashed at all times outside, make sure the kids give him space, and let him slowly acclimate to home life. Will things like the dishwasher or doorways or stairs be challenging for him? How does potty training usually go? Or is all this very subjective to the individual? I've read recommended resources and books about adopting an ex-racing greyhound, but I doubt much of that, if anything, will translate to a galgo. Any tips? Advice? Warnings?

Thank you in advance for your wealth of knowledge and love for these dogs!

Always good to hear someone wanting to research before adopting.

How old are your kids and what kind of dogs do you presently have? I fear escapes. If your family is kinda casual about door safety, as in your kids having friends in and out not making sure the door is secure? It's when we don't realize what has been normal to us is an escape opportunity for a new dog.

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Always good to hear someone wanting to research before adopting.

How old are your kids and what kind of dogs do you presently have? I fear escapes. If your family is kinda casual about door safety, as in your kids having friends in and out not making sure the door is secure? It's when we don't realize what has been normal to us is an escape opportunity for a new dog.

Definitely something to be careful of! Our kids are young-- which means we have very fixed routines and boundaries for the kids. We are not casual at all about doors being opened-- that is off limits for the kids and always very controlled when we are coming and going. Our backyard is fenced, but not high enough for a grey or galgo currently. We will be installing a taller fence this coming spring, so once that happens the pup would be able to run freely outside. For the time being, it would be leash walks and leashed potty excursions to the backyard.

We have one pit bull and one min schnauzer. Both are senior citizens, docile, but not decrepit. They enjoy other dogs and don't get ruffled about anything. The pit bull is a little more sociable and I think would engage in dog play, the terrier is more independent and past her playing years. They get along well with each other, and they and the kids live very harmoniously. The galgo we are interested in has been described as very mellow and polite, great with other dogs and kids. We will check and make sure the schnauzer doesn't trigger any prey drive just to be sure, though.

Both our girls were rescued as older pups, and we adopted them while we had kids, so we are pretty familiar in general with what it will take to ease a newcomer in and make sure everyone has the space and time they need to acclimate. I just don't know what I don't know, haha!

Kightfam, this link will take you to the group where I used to be on the board of directors. I wrote the "GFNC New Adopters Guide". That and the other links there should give you a good start.

https://www.greyhoundfriends.com/adopt/resources/

Regarding fences: since you are in MN, check for high snow drifts where a dog could easily escape. (I worry about everything.)

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

There are a few differences between galgos and retired racers. We have some very knowledgeable galgo people here, but being this is a holiday weekend it may take them a little longer to respond :) FBM is a good group.

good to know, thank you!

Kightfam, this link will take you to the group where I used to be on the board of directors. I wrote the "GFNC New Adopters Guide". That and the other links there should give you a good start.

https://www.greyhoundfriends.com/adopt/resources/

Regarding fences: since you are in MN, check for high snow drifts where a dog could easily escape. (I worry about everything.)

Oh, wonderful, thank you!

I totally understand. I'm a worrier too!

Any idea if crates are helpful for galgos, in general? I know that they are excellent tools for, especially for newly adopted, greyhounds, but I'm doubting that galgos have the same acclimation to being crated. Our current dogs have very strong aversions to crates, so we don't use them.

Hi! I'm always pleased when I hear that someone is interested in adopting a Galgo, especially someone who has done a good amount of research, as you have done.

For over 20 years, we've adopted ex-racers, but lost our last one, Calvin, in May. Now we just have our 3 Galgo girls, all adopted from Scooby, the largest shelter in Spain. FBM is large too, and, though my heart belongs to Scooby (where I go every year to volunteer), a good organization. I also volunteered there once, in 2013. MGR is a good group. They have pretty recently started working with the Spanish rescues. Both FBM and MGR should have a really good idea of this guy's personality. So they will be excellent sources of information.

There are others here who are Galgo owners and rescuers who can give you some insight as well. I personally think that there are as many differences between Greyhounds and Greyhounds, and Galgos and Galgos, as there are between Greyhounds and Galgos. I've seen every personality type within both breeds. And if you have a specific type in mind, or have certain needs---cat safe, younger, more mature, tolerant of kids, etc.---I think with questions and patience, you should be able to find a good match. That said, due to background, I've seen a lot more traumatized Galgos than Greys. But I've also seen a lot of Galgos who are so friendly that they will literally put their paws on your shoulders, lean against you, and look deeply into your eyes.

A few differences---Galgos are indurance runners, not like Greys who have a burst of speed. They are also not used to being crated, and wouldn't see the crate as security as the Greys would. I think a 6 foot fence is a great idea, and required by some groups. Not all of them need it---my girls don't---but better to be sure.

Hope this helps a bit. Maybe some other Galgo folks will chime in too.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina, Kiva and Laila
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Hi! I'm always pleased when I hear that someone is interested in adopting a Galgo, especially someone who has done a good amount of research, as you have done.

For over 20 years, we've adopted ex-racers, but lost our last one, Calvin, in May. Now we just have our 3 Galgo girls, all adopted from Scooby, the largest shelter in Spain. FBM is large too, and, though my heart belongs to Scooby (where I go every year to volunteer), a good organization. I also volunteered there once, in 2013. MGR is a good group. They have pretty recently started working with the Spanish rescues. Both FBM and MGR should have a really good idea of this guy's personality. So they will be excellent sources of information.

There are others here who are Galgo owners and rescuers who can give you some insight as well. I personally think that there are as many differences between Greyhounds and Greyhounds, and Galgos and Galgos, as there are between Greyhounds and Galgos. I've seen every personality type within both breeds. And if you have a specific type in mind, or have certain needs---cat safe, younger, more mature, tolerant of kids, etc.---I think with questions and patience, you should be able to find a good match. That said, due to background, I've seen a lot more traumatized Galgos than Greys. But I've also seen a lot of Galgos who are so friendly that they will literally put their paws on your shoulders, lean against you, and look deeply into your eyes.

A few differences---Galgos are indurance runners, not like Greys who have a burst of speed. They are also not used to being crated, and wouldn't see the crate as security as the Greys would. I think a 6 foot fence is a great idea, and required by some groups. Not all of them need it---my girls don't---but better to be sure.

Hope this helps a bit. Maybe some other Galgo folks will chime in too.

Thank you so much! That is helpful and encouraging to hear!

We did go and meet a gaggle of galgos this weekend, haha. The boy I thought we'd like best turned out to be a bit more shy and reluctant to interact than I thought he'd be. A little too startled by kid movement and sound, etc. So, we decided that a more confident dog would be a better fit. Fortunately, the next boy they brought in was PERFECT. Perfect respectful energy with our dogs, curious and interested with the kids, not startled at all, and very mild, pleasant energy. He wanted to be pet and touched and was very laid back. He's almost three, which I thought might be too young energy-wise with our granny dogs, but he's so mellow and kind that they were not bothered by him at all. Turns out, he was pretty much raised in rescue, he was taken from a hunter as a puppy and given lots of good socialization at FBM. He's had a relatively normal dog life, and he's got good manners with dogs and people. I think it will be helpful for us newbs to *not* start out with a very traumatized galgo-- which as you said, traumatized galgos are sadly fairly common.

Anyway, he'll likely come to us in a couple weeks when the adoption process is complete! The rescue does a two week "trial period" to make sure everyone is a good fit for each other, which will be really helpful. We're excited to give this sweet boy a home!