Sleeping Outside At Night In Freezing Weather

Guest Raquel

3 weeks ago I adopted a retired racer. She just retired. For the second night this week, I let her out for her last opportunity to relieve herself when to my astonishment she curled up in the corner of my yard to go to sleep. Both nights it has been 20 something degrees and one night the yard had ice all over it. She would not get up until I went to get her leash and gently helped her up. It is freezing weather. Has anyone ever seen this? She seems healthy otherwise.

Where are you? It may be to do with how she was brought up. In Ireland for instance, where most of the UK's racers are bred and reared, that will often be on small farms where the pups remain together until they go into training, and are traditionally given a pretty free life, living in big fields with kennels for shelter. I doubt they'd ever be expected to sleep outside of nights - but maybe if they chose to? Ireland has a pretty mild climate, after all....

Also, once they start training/ racing they are again living in kennels and those won't be as warm as a centrally heated house. So she could be thinking your house feels a little warm for night-time still.

I'd say, don't worry - this is all part of the adventure of her learning to be a house dog. She's only three weeks in, after all, so still getting used to lots of new routines. She sounds a bit of a character, bless her! And you did exactly the right thing, getting the lead and encouraging her in that way.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

A ton of American greyhound farms are in the midwest, so greyhound puppies grow up in all types of weather. Once weaned, most puppies have the run of a fenced area with some sort of shelter available from the weather. Most often the dogs stay in pens/yards until time for race training at about 12 to 14 months. Often the pen shelters are open and the puppies can choose to sleep indoors or outside. So, yes greyhounds are exposed of all sorts of weather here in the USA.

However, all American adoption groups have clauses about leaving greyhounds outside unattended, even inside a fenced yard. As a long time dog owner, I would never leave any of my animals alone outside in our fenced yard for an extended period of time, much less overnight. I am not afraid to assert myself and I will make my dogs come inside. That is what collars, leashes, and voice commands are all about.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Where are you? It may be to do with how she was brought up. In Ireland for instance, where most of the UK's racers are bred and reared, that will often be on small farms where the pups remain together until they go into training, and are traditionally given a pretty free life, living in big fields with kennels for shelter. I doubt they'd ever be expected to sleep outside of nights - but maybe if they chose to? Ireland has a pretty mild climate, after all....

Also, once they start training/ racing they are again living in kennels and those won't be as warm as a centrally heated house. So she could be thinking your house feels a little warm for night-time still.

I'd say, don't worry - this is all part of the adventure of her learning to be a house dog. She's only three weeks in, after all, so still getting used to lots of new routines. She sounds a bit of a character, bless her! And you did exactly the right thing, getting the lead and encouraging her in that way.

Ok thanks. I was thinking she might be missing a few marbles.

A ton of American greyhound farms are in the midwest, so greyhound puppies grow up in all types of weather. Once weaned, most puppies have the run of a fenced area with some sort of shelter available from the weather. Most often the dogs stay in pens/yards until time for race training at about 12 to 14 months. Often the pen shelters are open and the puppies can choose to sleep indoors or outside. So, yes greyhounds are exposed of all sorts of weather here in the USA.

However, all American adoption groups have clauses about leaving greyhounds outside unattended, even inside a fenced yard. As a long time dog owner, I would never leave any of my animals alone outside in our fenced yard for an extended period of time, much less overnight. I am not afraid to assert myself and I will make my dogs come inside. That is what collars, leashes, and voice commands are all about.

I’m in Colorado . I’m sure they are exposed but not sure why she would choose it for her sleeping weather. My house is at 68 degrees.

Thanks and I feel better.

She may have chosen the yard because it was more familiar, as said above, but she will soon figure out the advantages of a nice warm house! I did have a broodie who liked to sleep outside for part of the night in the summer, but that was a lot more understandable :)

Where did she race? The Florida dogs I've adopted at the end of racing season, like October, seem to initially think 68 degrees is sweater weather. They do adjust and ultimately clothing isn't required, even when our home is down to 63 deg overnight during Winter. So if it has been cool in the kennels where she was housed, your home may feel warm. She may also have no idea how cold it's really going to be overnight.

You are right to bring her in for the night, no matter her personal opinion on the matter. :D She will adjust.

Where did she race? The Florida dogs I've adopted at the end of racing season, like October, seem to initially think 68 degrees is sweater weather. They do adjust and ultimately clothing isn't required, even when our home is down to 63 deg overnight during Winter. So if it has been cool in the kennels where she was housed, your home may feel warm. She may also have no idea how cold it's really going to be overnight.

You are right to bring her in for the night, no matter her personal opinion on the matter. :D She will adjust.

Yah from Florida. My other greyhound would never do this as cold wet ground is not fun. Yes I think I have a character. She also deposits blankets outside, hides containers of food in her bed unopened , etc. she makes me laugh

She sounds like such a sweetheart. Likely doing what she is used to doing. You are doing right by going to bring her in. Her world is upside down and you are the new leader that must show her what is right. :)

Also try some valuable treats like cut up hot dog to encourage her to come back to you. :) nice time to start some training!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Make sure you have a nice little treat and praise party for her each time she comes back in - especially when she comes inside on her own. I have had several retired racers who prefer the outside to the inside. Mostly they just want to nap until they get cold!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

That sounds more like fear. I would take her out on leash so it's easier to get her inside. You might try changing up your routine, go out the front door instead of the back.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."