Olewo Carrots And Deworming

Daks

I'm currently in the process of deworming my hound, and on the recommendation of this forum picked up a small bag of Olewo carrots to see if they'd firm up his poops. I'm not sure if it's been the deworming medication, metronidazole, probiotics or the carrots (or a combo), but he's massively improved- poops are pick-up-able, skin is less flakey, his coat is growing back in in previous bald spots, less lethargic and it looks like he's finally put on some weight.
I went on Amazon today to buy a larger bag of the carrots when I noticed it said this:

Helps Maintain Healthy Digestion And Provides Natural Deworming

Olewo Carrots are a great natural dewormer because carrots contain a volatile oil that kills worms and parasites naturally, and the carrot fiber helps move the wast out of the intestine.

I couldn't find much info on the web about it- has any one heard about Olewo being effective as a dewormer? I'm still going to continue with his prescribed deworming treatment, I just thought it was interesting. It seems to certainly have helped in our situation. We're retesting for hooks in December, fingers crossed for a clear result.

Rocket had stress colitis and the Olewo Carrots became part of his regular diet. We saw a big improvement after adding them to his diet. Not sure about the deworming claim or the science to back it up, but it has always been part of their marketing info.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I used to give just pumpkin but bought a bag of the Olewo carrots and since then Larry's poops have been great (Zeke is so freaking finicky that I don't know if he'd eat his food at all if I put some on.....). I do rotate with pumpkin just for a change of taste. Don't know about the deworming truth but hope it's true!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I have a question about the Olewo carrots. Do people use them only to firm up the stool,like when deworming, or are they actually providing any other benefits? If so, is there some data available? And if it's only to firm up the stool, is it only for making it more convenient to clean up?

Edited by Zoomdoggie

My boy had hookworms and constant diarrhea. We used a combination of metronidazole, forti flora and olewo carrots. He has remained on the olewo carrots and forti flora for the past year. He now detests the carrots, but we mix them in anyway. I think it has been a combination of the products and simply time to heal a bad gut. He poops about 4-5 times a day, but stays at his racing weight, so we're not overfeeding. He just...likes to poop? In order, they go:

Morning - 1. Great 2. Good

Evening 3. Good 4. Soft 5. Gross!

I would not use the Olewo carrots exclusively as a de-wormer. It took 4 tries with actual de-wormers for us to get a clean report. But I think they are a great product and would highly recommend them.

My boy had hookworms and constant diarrhea. We used a combination of metronidazole, forti flora and olewo carrots. He has remained on the olewo carrots and forti flora for the past year. He now detests the carrots, but we mix them in anyway. I think it has been a combination of the products and simply time to heal a bad gut. He poops about 4-5 times a day, but stays at his racing weight, so we're not overfeeding. He just...likes to poop? In order, they go:

Morning - 1. Great 2. Good

Evening 3. Good 4. Soft 5. Gross!

I would not use the Olewo carrots exclusively as a de-wormer. It took 4 tries with actual de-wormers for us to get a clean report. But I think they are a great product and would highly recommend them.

No I wouldn't use it exclusively either- my hound starts his next round of dewormer next week and he's also on advantage multi, so hoping the combo of the advantage, dewormer and carrots will clear things up. He also poops 4 times a day in a pretty similar pattern -great, good, good, soft but still pick-up-able. Which is way better than the soft serve/pudding consistency he had when we first got him. Looking into adding the forti flora as well as we're just about out of the probiotics we got from the vet.

No I wouldn't use it exclusively either- my hound starts his next round of dewormer next week and he's also on advantage multi, so hoping the combo of the advantage, dewormer and carrots will clear things up. He also poops 4 times a day in a pretty similar pattern -great, good, good, soft but still pick-up-able. Which is way better than the soft serve/pudding consistency he had when we first got him. Looking into adding the forti flora as well as we're just about out of the probiotics we got from the vet.

That is the protocol we used. I'll retest for hooks in January. He was clean April, May, June. My opinion is the breed has a sensitive digestive tract and mine has an even greater sensitivity. Good luck to you.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried cooking and pureeing raw carrots instead of using Olewo (at $16 per pound)?

The FAQ on the Olewo site says that dogs cannot properly digest raw carrots. I'm not sure but assume that these are much more concentrated in dehydrated form than just giving a raw carrot. 2 items from the FAQ pasted below for reference.

Can I just feed my dog raw carrots?

While most dogs enjoy chewing up raw carrots, they will not benefit from the many healthy nutrients because dogs cannot properly digest raw vegetables.

What makes Olewo Carrots so effective?

Olewo Carrots are easy to digest because they are properly prepared for dogs to absorb and utilize the amazing nutrition in carrots. Olewo Carrots are made from a special variety of carrot high in beta-carotene and are super nutritious because they are grown in Northern Germany which is known for it's extremely fertile soil. The carrots are harvested at just the right time when the nutrient levels are at their peak. They go into preparation immediately after harvest to avoid loosing any of the valuable nutrients. Olewo's proprietary method of forming highly nutritious carrots into a pellet form assures maximum capture and preservation of the beneficial vitamins and nutrients.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I think a lot of raw feeders would disagree with the statement that dogs can't obtain the nutrients from raw vegetables IF the material is broken down properly. I'd like to see some real evidence in that statement. There are many ommercial raw dog foods that contain raw vegetables, so this would mean adding those ingredients is all for naught.

I think a lot of raw feeders would disagree with the statement that dogs can't obtain the nutrients from raw vegetables IF the material is broken down properly. I'd like to see some real evidence in that statement. There are many ommercial raw dog foods that contain raw vegetables, so this would mean adding those ingredients is all for naught.

I've read that in order for dogs to get the most out of veggies they don't necessarily have to be cooked, but broken down in some way - pulverized or blended. Since humans (and our saliva) do that adequately when we chew and dogs usually don't, you kind of have to give the veg a kick start on the digestion process.

FWIW our hound snatched a couple small sweet potatoes off the ground while I was harvesting and he chewed 'em right up, but the chunks made their way through him no worse for wear, so I doubt he got a whole lot of nutrition out of that particular snack :rolleyes:

My dogs eat a variety of veg and fruit.

I find it very hard to believe that any carrots are natural dewormers.

We add Diatomaceous Earth to their feed. And while it has many properties and people make many claims about it, including as a "dewormer", I still worm my dogs on a regular basis.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****