Pink Skin

Hi all!

We have had our greyhound for almost two months now and things are going great! We took her to the vet and the only issue we found was that she does have hookworms and we are on medication for that and she still has an occasional accident but way less than when we first got her.

One thing we noticed is that her skin is looking pink and she seems to lick it a lot. Normally she has tiny little nicks on her leg/feet and she licks those occasionally but this is different as it is her whole foot or her leg and her skin looks pink.

Any ideas? Or am I just overthinking?

Alexa :0)

Could be a pollen allergy or some other type of allergy. Some dogs are also just naturally pink looking depending on fur color, but since she is licking I'm guessing it's probably allergy or irritant related.

. Take a look at pollen.com and put your zip code in to see if allergy potential is high. Rocket used to have a bad reaction to ragweed pollen when the count for that got higher and usually needed medication to reduce the symptoms.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My white fur boy always had a rather pink (and spotted) belly. My red boy often looks purple!

What color is her coat?

If you are able to post pics, that might help!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I’m going through similar skin issues with Lola. Her skin is normally very pale but has been turning bright pink and occasionally has hives. She’s been on an antihistamine, prednisone and, for the past two months, a special diet. She’s still itchy and has hives. We’ve been fighting hooks for over a year and I’m wondering if there’s any correlation. We’ve got an appointment at the vet on Wednesday.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Sorry for the late reply.

Maisie is all black with a white spotted chest. So we realized that some of the licking she was doing was because of sores that she had. She is a little clumsy walking into her crate and knicks her paws on the slightly raised opening. We have since then covered that with hot glue to make them squishy but still closeable! :)

I am actually not sure how to post a photo so when I figure that out, I will be sure to attach it!

Thanks for the feedback!

Alexa :0)

• 11 months later...
20 minutes ago, MaryA said:

One of my white rescue greyhounds has very pink skin and is itchy.  My vet suggests putting him on Apoquel for allergies.  Has anyone given their Grey Apoquel and is it safe?

Can you post a picture? If you have it on Facebook, click on the photo, then right click and "copy image location" and then paste here.  I would not jump right into Apoquel.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

4 hours ago, MaryA said:

It is Sonny, on the left.  The pink is most prominent on his rear flanks and butt.

Does it look anything like this?  45788067_10213400737228076_7729936282251

Would you consider trying any essential oils?  The ONLY brand I will use on my dogs (and myself) are the animalEO brand developed by Melissa Shelton DVM. To learn more, go to her FB page "animalEO" or her website https://www.animaleo.info/

I'm thinking her Skin Spray Base and French Green Clay would help. It's what I used on my podenco during her worse skin problems.
Do not use just any brand of essential oils, just animalEO. 
There will be some here on Greytalk who will disagree with me. That's okay, but I am very satisfied with Dr Shelton's products.

Just want to try a shampoo? Try this: https://www.4-legger.com/
Call the company if you are not sure which formula to use.

If there a holistic vet in your area you could see?  Apoquel is VERY expensive, even ordered online.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I think you should give it a little time before doing anything major.  In the picture the other dog seems to have a noticably 'better' coat? It looks 'whiter' in the picture and thicker etc.  so obviously you are providing the right environment/quality food etc. And I have had many greyhounds and almost all of them seemed to sport an improved coat after I'd had them for awhile babying them. Even if she has a minor allergy thing it would be better and cheaper IMO to treat it conservatively with healthy alternatives to drugs such as some of the above posters have suggested. https://www.springtimeinc.com/product/Skin-and-Coat/Natural-Dog-Supplements has some wonderful skin & coat enhancing & allergy treatment things that are safe and effective and fairly priced.  Like the poster above I would not jump on Apoquel yet either. Why risk nasty side effects and pay $$$ if you don't need to? I would bet that with a little TLC and some time she will wind up having a nice coat like your other one. Two months is not long.   JMO.

• 8 months later...

Many racing dogs especially from FL have hookworm.  The worms are immune to standard meds.  My vet recommended Safe—Guard Dewormer for goats and they went away. You give 1 tablespoon with food for 5 days. Also my GH has pink skin and she recommended Omega Fish Oil for dogs 1 gel tab 2X per day. This was from Dr. Barker (no pun intended) head Vet of Dairyland Racing track in WI. 

19 hours ago, CP025 said:

Many racing dogs especially from FL have hookworm.  The worms are immune to standard meds.  My vet recommended Safe—Guard Dewormer for goats and they went away. You give 1 tablespoon with food for 5 days. Also my GH has pink skin and she recommended Omega Fish Oil for dogs 1 gel tab 2X per day. This was from Dr. Barker (no pun intended) head Vet of Dairyland Racing track in WI. 

Mygreymaisie and CP025, This is the protocol promoted by Jennifer Ng, DVM, an expert of hookworms in the greyhound world. "One and done" treatment won't work. Multiple testing, sometimes for at least a year.  http://www.greyhoundcrossroads.com/index.php?page=resistant-hookworms

tiny hada siggy.png