Incision Site On Hock Bleeding And Leaking 5 Days After Surgery

Nessa (pointer) had a fast growing lump removed from her hock on Halloween. I put a sock over the leg but she kept licking even with an e-collar on. Last Friday I saw that 2 stitches had popped. By Saturday they all had opened up so a second surgery on Monday to put in new stitches. I have been keeping a bandage on it (gauze covered with vet wrap) because it was seeping blood and a pale liquid. I took a good look at it today and the stitches are still in place but still blood and seeping 5 days post surgery,

We have an appointment for tomorrow morning but I am hoping for some advice with those experienced with this type of problem. The vet says that the hock is a difficult spot because there is not much extra skin to work with. It just does not seem to be scabbing over at all.

Gizmo just had a growth, several actually from his side and it took well over a week for it to stop seeping. He was on antibiotics so I wasn’t to worried about it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Your vet should take a look but may well be just fine. I know we've had things, especially on legs, that seemed like they weren't going to heal at first but did close up properly 10-12 days in. Best thoughts!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For sure...get Nessa checked out tomorrow, but I agree that legs are the worst things to try and heal, especially hocks....I have horses!

:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Might be worth having them run a PCV in-house if they are able. It's probably just as others have said - a tough area for healing - but to be on the safe side, worth knowing she has enough platelets for clotting. I would do this even if the pre-surgery bloodwork was perfect.

I'd also ask whether warm compresses would help, or maybe alternating warm and cold, not sure what would be best at this point.

As a sidebar, if the lump, hopefully a nothing, turns out to be hemangiopericytoma, Dr Couto has an intra-lesional chemo protocol that sounds anecdotally like it's pretty successful.

Fingers crossed!

Thank you to those who talked me down from the ledge yesterday. The vet was actually pretty pleased with the incision site. There is a section that has to form granulation so that will be slow to heal; however, he can see the granulation starting so we are going in the right direction. He have me a mild cleaning solution and a powder that contains some anti biotics and an astringent to help with clotting.

When Grace had the skin webbing removed from between her toes due to a recurring abscess, gentle bathing with saline solution helped to sooth it and keep it clean and aid healing. That took a good couple of weeks to stop weeping.

To make saline solution dissolve a teaspoon of salt in 1 pint of boiled water and let cool.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

When Grace had the skin webbing removed from between her toes due to a recurring abscess, gentle bathing with saline solution helped to sooth it and keep it clean and aid healing. That took a good couple of weeks to stop weeping.

To make saline solution dissolve a teaspoon of salt in 1 pint of boiled water and let cool.

Thank you. I live in a rural area so the vet does a lot of large animal work, He gave me a cleaning solution used for cow teats... :flip