New Owner - New Poster - A Few Questions..

pbell862

Hello all,

New poster here! Also I am about to be a new greyhound dad. So I am adopting a greyhound that I've been told is NOT an ex-racer...I was a bit perplexed as to his history because if he didn't come from the track who is breeding Greyhounds? Again, I don't know very much of him, they said he was a pet but then got to a kill shelter in Kentucky and now is in Indiana and I stumbled upon him... They want me to take him ASAP, and that is this Sunday.

He is a senior and will be 9 in January - I don't mean to be weird...but is this too old? I mean will he die in my care within a year? I have a wiener dog that now lives with my parents but I've never gone through losing a pet. I want to give him a good home because he's old and I feel like getting adopted may be harder for him but I'm not sure what everyone experience is with an older Greyhound?

His teeth look a little yellow, is there a brush that is best?

He most likely not muzzle trained and I'm not sure i'll use one but I will have to if I take him to my parents which I will during the holidays. My parents were scared of Milo when I brought him home...he was about a 4LB dachshund then... so a 88lb Grey is a bit much. The muzzle will help, any tips?

Any tips or comments would be welcome, I am very excited but just wish him to live a long life.

Congratulations! Old dogs are the best :)

If he is not an ex racer and came from Kentucky, my guess is he was a coyote dog. People take greyhounds and greyhound crosses and use them as hunters, mostly coyotes. This in no way means he won’t be a great pet! And no, 9 is not too old. I mostly adopt seniors, my Conner was 10 when I adopted him (previous owner died) and he is still with me at 13.6. You won’t have an old dog as long, but every minute will be worth it! I can’t really say about the muzzle. He may be used to one, or not. He may not need it unless he is not safe with your small dog.

Old dogs are the best dogs. You will have a great companion! Many live long lives 13 and 14 are not completely unattainable. :) He will likely be very mild mannered and will be plenty happy to hang out and watch TV with you.

A little yellow is pretty normal, but overall greyhounds admittedly do not have the best dental health. When I retire my old tooth brushes, they become dog toofer brushes as they are soft bristles. I find the cot on the finger rubber ones don't always work as well for me, but everyone has a preference.

If he wasn't a racer, I'm not sure if he would have been accustomed to muzzles. Many of them react though that it is the worst thing in the world to happen to them, but they've often been wearing them daily and are used to them! Not sure until you try to be honest. Since you don't know his personality yet, just warn people that you will be meeting that he's new and needs some space. Every dog needs an adjustment period when they first come home. By the holidays you should have a good idea about how reactive he might be to your family or other pets.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

If he wasn't a racer and ended up in Kentucky, he could have also been bred in an Amish Puppy Mill and sold as a pet. Southern IL, Indiana and Kentucky are loaded with Amish Puppy Mills that cause all kinds of problems for shelters when people buy a cute little puppy then find out they adopted a very active puppy that they can't handle as he grows and grows. Unfortunately, these dogs end up in shelters all the time in those areas.

He could very well be a great pet. I'm betting that he won't be used to having his teeth cleaned and may not let you brush them. Once you have had him vet checked and know that his teeth are okay, you might start giving him some CET chews (not rawhide) or Bully Sticks to chew on, but only while supervised. Never leave a dog alone with access to any chew, as they can choke quickly. Some chewing of these items may help a great deal, or he may need a dental to get back to optimal health. It is not unusual for a 9 year old dog to need a dental if his teeth haven't been cared for.

The muzzle will be trial and error depending on whether or not he has worn one. Make sure to use one of the plastic muzzles or basket type muzzles that will allow him to still drink. Not a cloth muzzle that goes over the snout.

Good luck with your new pal!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Additionally, if he was used for hunting or vermin control, or came from a puppy mill, he may not be used to being inside, so you will need to help him through the transition to being an indoor dog, particularly with potty training.

He may also be a cross bred dog, and his life span will vary greatly depending on the mixture. But 9 isn't that old for a purebred greyhound. Most of my 9 year olds have acted the same as my 4 year olds, just a little calmer!

His teeth will need to be assessed by a vet visit. You'll also be able to tell by his breath! Daily dental chews like those suggested above might take care of any issues, or he may need a full dental.

Get a size large, plastic kennel muzzle - if he doesn't come with one - and see how he does with it. He may or may not be used to wearing one. Short sessions with peanut butter smeared inside the end of the muzzle will go a long way towards acceptance.

Is your boy coming from the American Lurcher Project?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Not too old at all. I bet hell be a great companion. If hes not used to a muzzle, I dont know why you would want to use one. Congratulations!

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

We need pics!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs :heart Best of luck and just enjoy every moment together. Seniors are incredibly special.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Another possibility is that he was born into a racing program but didn't even make the initial cut so was adopted out as a pet. If that's the case, he will have tattoos in both ears, as they are tattooed as pups.

I have a greyhound mix who was probably a hunting dog, who also ended up as a stray in a dog pound. He is probably about the same age as yours, and is active and in good shape.

As someone who is familiar with doxies in the family, I bet that once your parents get over their initial shock at your new dog's size, they will be charmed at his laid-back, sweet nature. Greys are not as noisy (or demanding) as most doxies. The doxies in our extended family rule over the greyhounds. Since greys are usually quiet when inside, you tend to forget how big they are. Warning to yourself and your parents -- greys are the perfect height to steal food off tables, counters, stoves, trashcans ... .

As posted above, he'll probably try to wipe the muzzle off his face, but it sounds like a good idea if it will make your parents feel calmer. Also a good just-in-case with the weiner dog around until you're certain he's ok with small dogs. Also good for the safety of any food left on the counter. :) Here's a link to the kind of muzzle we are talking about. https://tinyurl.com/ydeb5by4 There are many places to buy them, including many adoption programs. Your program might even give you one.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Congratulations! Old dogs are the best :)

If he is not an ex racer and came from Kentucky, my guess is he was a coyote dog. People take greyhounds and greyhound crosses and use them as hunters, mostly coyotes. This in no way means he won’t be a great pet! And no, 9 is not too old. I mostly adopt seniors, my Conner was 10 when I adopted him (previous owner died) and he is still with me at 13.6. You won’t have an old dog as long, but every minute will be worth it! I can’t really say about the muzzle. He may be used to one, or not. He may not need it unless he is not safe with your small dog.

Thanks for the tips! Wow I did not know that... Once I figure out how to attach a pic I will.... he looks mostly Greyhound but he looks kind of young. I mean I wouldn't know but the shelter isn't all that knowledgeable either. The muzzle would be for my parents not Milo the Dachshund! lol

As posted above, he'll probably try to wipe the muzzle off his face, but it sounds like a good idea if it will make your parents feel calmer. Also a good just-in-case with the weiner dog around until you're certain he's ok with small dogs. Also good for the safety of any food left on the counter. :) Here's a link to the kind of muzzle we are talking about. https://tinyurl.com/ydeb5by4 There are many places to buy them, including many adoption programs. Your program might even give you one.

That's exactly the same muzzle I got him! Blue color and everything. I'm going to attempt to upload a picture. She said there was no tattoos in his ears so maybe he was a hunting dog...They said he was a pet and then the owner had to give him up and he ended up in a kill shelter in KY. Just sounds fishy to me... I understand someone having to give up a lifelong pet but why would you give it to a kill shelter?! I'm not sure.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb2abkkhllosnbe/20181107_075657.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wl4wqp14aaawks/20181107_075703.jpg?dl=0

Okay here are the only 2 pics I have (Sorry I tried to use Photobucket and they charge now!) It is a dropbox link t hat should take you straight to the pictures.

Maybe I'm being over excited and I have looked at these 2 pictures too long but does he fully look greyhound? He does but he doesn't. They stated he's 88lbs. They also said he had an approximate BDAY of 1/10/2010 - does he look a little younger to anyone else?

Again you lot would know better but I googled brindle senior greyhounds and they have at least a tiny bit of grey...even my 5 yr old Dachshund has a grey chin.

The ears and legs say grey, maybe with shepard? I'd say he maybe younger than they think,, unless they have docs.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

You've heard lots of people say they adopt old dogs. I think I may have the record. I adopted Susie 3 weeks before her 14th birthday. She blessed my home for 14 months and lived past 15. I currently have a 13 1/2 year old. 11 or 12 is more common but past that is certainly possible. As far as the yellow teeth, greyhounds are known for bad teeth. Bring him to the vet for a dental cleaning. I do that with my dogs every year with their annual checkup.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Definitely has something else mixed in. A bit of a boxy face, hard to tell what though. No way is he almost 9! The greys would be showing in his face at 9. I don't see any fade in that face. Either way, you scored! He seems real happy. :D

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

He certainly looks like a greyhound to me! I suppose you have picked him up already by now.

Check his ears for tatoos carefully. They can be very hard to read. The left ear will have a litter number assigned by the NGA. The right ear has his month and year of birth and a letter which is the order in which the dogs in the litter were tattoed.

If he is an NGA dog he will have been raised with his litter mates by his mother in a large run to the age of at least 8 months. He will be very well socialized with other greyhounds, will know how to read the body language of other dogs and will be very appreciative of human presence. If he was raised in a house he will be entirely different depending on the people who raised him. If he pokes you with that long nose begging for contact he probably is an NGA dog.

He will likely be very timid when meeting your parents. Let him come to them. Warn them about that long nose being inserted into pockets and other inaccessible places. Wait until he meets Stover. You know, the dog you keep in your oven who can be seen in the door window. That will perplex him. He might be terrified of stairs. When he learns that he won't die instantly by climbing them be extra careful when he goes down. He might try to do it in one step.

Paul in NY

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

New poster here! Also I am about to be a new greyhound dad. So I am adopting a greyhound that I've been told is NOT an ex-racer...I was a bit perplexed as to his history because if he didn't come from the track who is breeding Greyhounds? Again, I don't know very much of him, they said he was a pet but then got to a kill shelter in Kentucky and now is in Indiana and I stumbled upon him... They want me to take him ASAP, and that is this Sunday.

He is a senior and will be 9 in January - I don't mean to be weird...but is this too old? I mean will he die in my care within a year? I have a wiener dog that now lives with my parents but I've never gone through losing a pet. I want to give him a good home because he's old and I feel like getting adopted may be harder for him but I'm not sure what everyone experience is with an older Greyhound?

His teeth look a little yellow, is there a brush that is best?

He most likely not muzzle trained and I'm not sure i'll use one but I will have to if I take him to my parents which I will during the holidays. My parents were scared of Milo when I brought him home...he was about a 4LB dachshund then... so a 88lb Grey is a bit much. The muzzle will help, any tips?

Any tips or comments would be welcome, I am very excited but just wish him to live a long life.

He will be an easy learner. Just stay consistent. Walk him on a lead first. And muzzle training is easy because most greys are easy going dont word of wisdom don't let there calm demeanor fool you into a false sense of security they have a solid prey drive and have been used to hunt and run down big animals since early Egyptian times. People think muzzles are cruel. They really aren't for a grey they are great while you are learning because your actually protecting them while you learn about them. my grey is was a racer. I still have him wear a muzzle but only in excessive public areas. Also i have only owned him for 3.5 weeks and i m still introducing him to the world. I would hate to have him nip @ a dog being stupid with a bad owner and risk a bad outcome just because people say that it is mean. Its actually for me and him as we grow and learn together establishing a pecking order and bond.

Edited by fireboy

Louie