Restless And Occasional Vomiting

Ruby has not been feeling well for quite a while, and we took her in for labs a couple months ago, which were normal. The vet had no ideas, so we decided to find a new vet and took her in today. Our new vet is more familiar with Greyhounds, so we felt like she had a good exam.

She has been vomiting occasionally right after eating, but it is just white mucous, not food. She has also been very restless during the night, and circles her crate all night long, which of course was driving us nuts.

The vet thought that she may have an ulcer, and said that Greyhounds tend to get them often. I had not heard of that before. She also agreed that she has arthritis, and gave us Tramadol to try for her twice a day. We are to give her Pepcid each evening, and call her in a week to let her know how things are doing.

She also thinks she has Sundowners Disease, which we have known for quite a while. Poor old girl. Hoping that she will get some relief from these 2 meds. So hard to watch her going downhill.

Have any of you had Greys with ulcers ? She didn't want to scope her at her age, which we agree with.

Karen

Yes. My Sam had been on Meloxicam* and developed stomach trouble. We did Pepcid for the rest of his life, and he never took another NSAID--no Rimadyl or Metacam or anything like that.

*Avoid Meloxicam, which comes in a pill version that requires you to split the pill for the proper dose. Pills aren't scored, and your pill-splitter will be working on a "best-guess" format. Metacam comes in a liquid formula which is easier to dose accurately. https://www.1800petmeds.com/Meloxicam+to+Metacam-compare120154.html

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Has she had an ultrasound? Non-invasive, no anesthetic required. Won't tell you if she has ulcers specifically... may tell you if she has gastritis, but will rule out a lot of other serious concerns that bloodwork doesn't pick up.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Has she had an ultrasound? Non-invasive, no anesthetic required. Won't tell you if she has ulcers specifically... may tell you if she has gastritis, but will rule out a lot of other serious concerns that bloodwork doesn't pick up.

She hasn't had any testing except for lab work. The vet didn't feel she should put her thru anything invasive, especially with her anxiety. We agree, and are hoping the Pepcid will help her. The Tramadol helped her sleep last night, so off to a good start.

Yes. My Sam had been on Meloxicam* and developed stomach trouble. We did Pepcid for the rest of his life, and he never took another NSAID--no Rimadyl or Metacam or anything like that.

*Avoid Meloxicam, which comes in a pill version that requires you to split the pill for the proper dose. Pills aren't scored, and your pill-splitter will be working on a "best-guess" format. Metacam comes in a liquid formula which is easier to dose accurately. https://www.1800petmeds.com/Meloxicam+to+Metacam-compare120154.html

Good to know, thank you

Karen

Not an ulcer exactly, or at least probably not, we didn’t scope either, but my first girl had a heart condition and was on a lot of meds for that which upset her stomach, so she was on Pepcid for the last few years of her life. She got one 10 mg morning and one 10 mg at night, it really helped her appetite. Glad the Tramadol helped her sleep, when they start to lose their mental health, it is so hard to watch.

it's good that you are giving her the tramadol at night, it will cut the edge. i administer pecid ac 2xs daily. 20 mg each tab. it sounds like she is in pain. felix has been on metacam/meloxicam for years with out a problem. as a matter of fact i just took my human grade meloxicam! that stuff works wonders. i always give meds w/ food.

The first 2 nights went great, with Ruby sleeping soundly. Last night, back to rattling her crate all night long. She has not vomited since starting the Pepcid, but I still wonder if she is in pain. Will give it a few more days and then check in with the vet. Makes me so sad..........

Karen

Could she be cold at night? I know Fletcher would get cold at night and it would make him restless. He wouldn't tolerate jammies or even a blanket, I ended up just turning the heat up at night, sigh, but it stopped the restlessness.

I dont think so as we keep the house the same temp year round. She has a blanket in her crate, but does not like it on her, and she has told me NO to the jammies several times....I may give them another try if she doesn't settle down soon. Thank you

Karen