Nails Falling Out

Guest luvsql

Starting in early August, Fred (7.5 year old male) started easily infuring his nails causing them to break/spit/bleed which required removal (2 back nails, 2 front nails). He's also had both dew claws come off.

I've been to the vet each time to have a nail cutoff, requiring sedation, meds etc. I've asked 3 different vets what is going on and was scared of cancer of something extremely serious.

He's currently being "treated" with medications associated with LUPOID ONYCHODYSTROPHY although he hasn't been officially diagnosed since it requires very invasive surgery to remove an entire toe. Meds are tetracycline, pentoxifylline, Omega 3, Vitamin B and Vitamin with every meal.

His nails are literally falling off and look so thin and brittle. He now has no nails on his front left paw. No bleeding happens and it doesn't seem to bother him. The quicks in the front are tiny, thin and white. The back one that came off that I didn't have removed, had a thicker, pinker quick exposed that was quite painful but has now healed. The front ones don't seem to have any nerve endings I'm guessing because it doesn't hurt him.

I try and keep socks on his feet at all times, put protection on my couches to prevent him from getting his nails stuck, but don't know what else to do. The sloughing off of nails from the systems of this disease definitely matches what's happening to him.

Has anyone else experienced these issues with nails? I can't seem to add attachments so can't send any pics

Yes, it's surprisingly common in greyhounds and many here will have experience with it. If you're on Facebook there is a very good group called "Greyhounds with SLO" I think.

Fortunately it seems easy to treat with the regimen you are doing. Things should begin to calm down soon for you.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes, my girl Venus had this. It was a horrible time for us while going through the initial nail shedding. There are a few different treatment regimes. We used the combination of tetracycline, EFA's, niacinamide and Vit E. The hardest part about treatment is waiting to see if it helps. Nails are very slow growing so you have to wait a frustratingly long time to see if it is effective. In the meantime, nails continue to fall out. You judge the effectiveness of the treatment by how the new nails grow in.

My girl lost all of her nails over the course of two months. Managing her pain during this period was the hardest thing. We primarily used tramadol and gabapentin. At one point, she could barely walk. All she did was go outside to potty and come right back in. We had the vet remove a couple nails, but that seemed just as bad or worse than letting them fall out naturally. The whole thing was horrible for her. And none to easy for the rest of us.

The good news is that after the initial flare up, we had few problems. We continued treatment as her nails grew back. In time stopped the tetracycline, but continued the rest. I had to keep her nails as short as possible. She had the shortest nails of any Greyhounds I'd ever seen. :lol Any time I got slack on nail trimmings she would lose a nail. Grinding her nails, as opposed to using clippers, was the most effective method for us.

Hang in there as the initial process plays out. For most of us, it gets much better as time goes on.