New Hound With Corns. Need Advice On A Happy Indie Life During This Ad

Guest bingaboom

Guest bingaboom

Hello, I have adopted a greyhound. He is my second hound. He is an only dog right now. It happened quickly. He is absolutely lovely. Very friendly, affectionate, he truly is an absolute love.

On his first walk with me, I realized that he has damaged pads and possible corns on each foot. The corns seem tiny. I have been a member of the corn group on Facebook for a few years as I realized that I might have to deal with them. His feet are a mess very hard and calloused at at the edges centres are pink. I am soaking and moisturizing. I will be taught how to dremel.

I dont have a yard. We have a small patch of grass about 1 minute away. I am surrounded by concrete. Its a seven minute walk to beautiful grassy trails. I just need to find the right boot that isnt Therapaws so we can make it to the parks. We are buying a new car this week that is better suited to him so that we can drive him to grassy areas.

Therapaws dont work. I have to wrap his dew claws and hes sick of it. Looking at neopaws and other suggestions .

My question is, what tips do you have for a confidant, mentally active hound who cannot take long walks? I have 2 kongs. I give massages which he loves. Hes very curious and likes to inspect things, however, Im in an apartment and there isnt much to inspect. Hes really confidant and loves being cuddled. He plays with toys. While I rehabilitate his feet and find or make boots, I would appreciate some tips to make home more interesting for him. Something other than food. I work at home. Started alone training. Hes been quite good with that. So far about 20 minutes at a time.

If you tell us where you're generally located people might be able to suggest boots made in/near your area. A suggestion about buying boots, especially online, is to measure your dog's foot and dewclaw location from the floor. Many boot makers can alter the strap placement to accomodate an individual dog.

Another suggestion - If you have a big box pet store, or a local one you have a good relationship with, they will most likely let you try on boots in the store to see if they fit. Or let you return them.

As far as keeping him interested and entertained, you can start clicker training and teach him some basic commands. There's tons of "hide the treat" games you can purchase, or just start hiding them around your apartment and tell him to "find it" - a beginning nose work sort of game. Rides to stores that let dogs in are also good as the floors won't be too hard on his paws.

Keep them well-moisturized and use toddler socks to protect them (you can also use them inside whatever boots you get to add more padding). If they don't start clearing up in a few weeks a vet visit is probably in order just to check them.

Congratulations and good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest bingaboom

Hello, I have adopted a greyhound. He is my second hound. He is an only dog right now. It happened quickly. He is absolutely lovely. Very friendly, affectionate, he truly is an absolute love.

On his first walk with me, I realized that he has damaged pads and possible corns on each foot. The corns seem tiny. I have been a member of the corn group on Facebook for a few years as I realized that I might have to deal with them. His feet are a mess very hard and calloused at at the edges centres are pink. I am soaking and moisturizing. I will be taught how to dremel.

I dont have a yard. We have a small patch of grass about 1 minute away. I am surrounded by concrete. Its a seven minute walk to beautiful grassy trails. I just need to find the right boot that isnt Therapaws so we can make it to the parks. We are buying a new car this week that is better suited to him so that we can drive him to grassy areas.

Therapaws dont work. I have to wrap his dew claws and hes sick of it. Looking at neopaws and other suggestions .

My question is, what tips do you have for a confidant, mentally active hound who cannot take long walks? I have 2 kongs. I give massages which he loves. Hes very curious and likes to inspect things, however, Im in an apartment and there isnt much to inspect. Hes really confidant and loves being cuddled. He plays with toys. While I rehabilitate his feet and find or make boots, I would appreciate some tips to make home more interesting for him. Something other than food. I work at home. Started alone training. Hes been quite good with that. So far about 20 minutes at a time.

dogbooties dot com has several excellent styles of boots. I use their soft socks and neoprenes for Aiden. Bea has a crippling corn on the hind foot of the leg she broke. She wears a Walker Active Trixie boot I found online. It fits extremely well and stays on securely with two velcro straps.

Snuffle mats are great entertainment. You could also set up some Noseworks boxes and let him find the hidden treats. Best of luck!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.