Housebroken Dog Suddenly Peeing Inside

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking a look at this post and any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!

My girlfriend and I adopted a greyhound, Minerva, about 5 months ago. When we got her in June, she had one accident (pee) as soon as she walked in - totally expected. After that, no accidents and she was really good about adjusting to her new routine.
About two weeks ago, while we were all on the couch watching TV, she got up off the couch and urinated right in front of us. We of course reprimanded her since we caught her in the act, and we could tell she knew it was wrong by her reaction. However, she has continued to urinate every night in the middle of the night. Since we can't catch her in the act, we don't feel like we can reprimand her. We wake up every morning to a puddle of pee on our rug, but nothing about our routine has changed. She gets her last walk around 10 p.m. and her first walk at 6 a.m., which we feel is reasonable and has never been an issue for her before. We think she is peeing closer to 6 a.m. because she has stopped peeing on her morning walk.
We took her to the vet to get a urine test and everything came back normal, but they gave us an antibiotic in case there was a slight UTI. She has been on the antibiotic for about 4 days now and is continuing to urinate in the house. Last night, we cut her water off before bedtime because we noticed that she was drinking a lot of water right before bed. She still urinated in the middle of the night.
Just wondering if any of you have any experience with this sort of thing and if you have any advice. Thanks again!

Since there's no evidence of a UTI, I would suggest starting potty training all over again. When she pee'd on front of you and you reprimanded her, did you immediately redirect her to where she should have pottied? Now she knows not to pee in front of you because it gets her a scolding but she doesn't understand that she's not supposed to pee in the house. Take her out many times a day. Praise and treat effusively when she does her business in an appropriate place. She'll soon connect the dots and potty only outside.

Purchase and read Dr. Patricia McConnell's booklet on housebreaking - https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/store/Way-To-Go.html

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

It may be urinary incontinence. DES worked well for our Rainey but have heard bad things about Proin.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

As noted by someone else, it could also be urinary incontinence. If it is, you can use DES to treat it. DO NOT use Proin as that can result in sudden death in greyhounds by causing high blood pressure.

When you take her out at 10, is it for a walk or just a quick bathroom break. Do you actually see her pee? You might want to spend more time outside at her last outing and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the advice. When we reprimanded her, we said "outside" a number of times. On her 10 p.m. walk, she always urinates at least once, sometimes twice. The other night, I walked her for a much longer time than we usually do at night. Typically, it's a quick walk but she always pees on that walk, no matter how short it is. The other night, she urinated twice, and pooped as well. She still urinated in the middle of the night.

I should also mention that her second walk of the day is about 9-10 hours after her first walk, but she never (knock on wood) urinates during the day when we're at work. So we know she can hold it during the day for longer than she does overnight.

Again, thanks so much for the advice! We're going to look into the incontinence issue and we're probably going to try cutting her water off even earlier.

Greys for adoption are usually neutered, arent they? (About 3 weeks before getting into heat my intact bitch develops signs like peeing in the house).

Is her sleeping place a little too cold at night? My Non-Sighthound dwarfish sometimes leaking Lady also pees more, if she freezes. So she wears a pullover at night. Seems to keep her bladder under control.

Greys for adoption are usually neutered, arent they? (About 3 weeks before getting into heat my intact bitch develops signs like peeing in the house).

Is her sleeping place a little too cold at night? My Non-Sighthound dwarfish sometimes leaking Lady also pees more, if she freezes. So she wears a pullover at night. Seems to keep her bladder under control.

So we had some luck cutting off her water last night, but tonight we took her out at 9:30 p.m. and she urinated. At around 11, she got off the couch and urinated again. We’re feeling a little bit helpless here because this is such a sudden issue!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rooney_mommy

It took my dog almost a year to become fully potty trained. It is very frustrating... I totally get it. It really does just take time and try not to lose your hair over it. But here are some techniques that worked for me...

(1) My dog had certain "places" where he liked to pee too. These were typically areas of the house where we did not spend much time in, where he didn't have a bed, or where there was not much furniture (we had just moved in), etc. If this is the case, I would suggest relocated her bed to some of these areas that she does not spend much time in so that she realizes that this is actually a part of her "new kennel"/new living area.

(2) Also make sure that you are using a doggie enzyme cleaner for the pee spots. This MAY deter her from peeing in the same place all the time. I use one by bissell and it smells very nice.

(3) It seems like your dog is a free-roamer at night? Ideally I wanted a dog that would just chill on his own bed at night... no crate no nothing (the crates are SO BIG). But Rooney really does just do much better with his kennel. If you don't want to kennel her, consider baby-gating her in a place that she can call her own (maybe not in the room that she likes to pee in).

(4) I don't know if bellybands work for female dogs but you might be able to try one of those? It's pretty much a diaper and, hopefully, she'll just get sick of sitting in her own pee and realize that she's not supposed to pee while it's on (i.e. while she's in the house).

Hope this helps! Be patient. It's certainly a process.

Edited by Rooney_mommy