Training Gh To Live With Cats

Guest newGHowner

Guest newGHowner

So my partner and I are about to adopt our first dog together.
We have no experience with dogs and we also don't know much about this dog either.

He is a greyhound x breed. He is 1 year and 9 months old. He has not been tested with cats as the AWL don't test this. They did say he isn't suitable for a home with small furry animals but I feel like that's a bit mean to say so we are going to say we have no cats... Is that wrong? I know they just said it because of the breed he is. He is quite jumpy and I know he is practically only a puppy still so I would LOVE all the help I can get!

I have done so much research about how to train a GH to tolerate and be around cats without viewing them as food haha. I know baby gates and muzzles and treats are a must!!! I also know separate rooms for a long time (as long as it takes) and I do know that I should never leave them alone together no matter how comfortable I feel.
I am willing to do whatever it takes to make his life wonderful with us and our cats.

He isn't a racing dog so I was thinking that makes it a little better for our situation? I don't know all I know is that I think they were being a little harsh by automatically assuming he is just going to be bad around smaller animals...

So I am just after any advice and experiences you guys have had!

but I feel like that's a bit mean to say so we are going to say we have no cats... Is that wrong? I know they just said it because of the breed he is.

Yes, it is wrong. There is nothing to be gained and much to be lost by lying to your group about this, including your cat's life and your future credibility with the group.

Be open. "We know you don't test for cat tolerance, and we're willing to foster and give it our best try. Will you accept the dog back if it doesn't work out after X amount of time?"

Will someone from the group bring the dog on a home visit so you can do an initial test on the cat(s)' home ground? If the dog immediately tries to go after the cat, you'll know it's not much use to try and will put your cat's life at risk. Or make life miserable for the cat, dog, and humans with restrictions, constant tension, and so on.

He isn't a racing dog so I was thinking that makes it a little better for our situation?

No, racer/nonracer has nothing to do with the prey drive instinct. My current greyhound x breed has the highest prey drive I have ever experienced. He will kill ANYTHING except another dog, and he has never been near a racing kennel.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Wow.

The group is doing what is in the best interest of the dog they are trying to place, and you are trying to sabotage that. I think they would know a little bit more about the dog than you do, also in light of the fact that you have never owned a dog before ever.

Outrageous.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest newGHowner

Yes I agree. My partner was very hellbent on getting the dog and I wasn't sure. I was not comfortable with it and have finally talked him out of it. I don't want to do that to our cats and I especially don't want to make that poor dogs life restricted in any way.

Wow.

The group is doing what is in the best interest of the dog they are trying to place, and you are trying to sabotage that. I think they would know a little bit more about the dog than you do, also in light of the fact that you have never owned a dog before ever.

Outrageous.

I agree entirely. I have talked my partner out of getting the dog. He was so hellbent on it. I did my research I told him how terrible of a situation the cats would be in. How restricted everything would be and he has finally understood. I know perfectly well that we shouldn't be getting the dog. I don't want to burden any animals life or make their life horrible.

I don't want to come across as a terrible person. I am all about saving animals lives and making peace for every and any animal I can.
I am sorry for the post. In a desperate attempt to make my partner see how disappointing of a decision it would be to make to get this dog I have now looked like a complete heartless **.
I apologise

Yes, it is wrong. There is nothing to be gained and much to be lost by lying to your group about this, including your cat's life and your future credibility with the group.

Be open. "We know you don't test for cat tolerance, and we're willing to foster and give it our best try. Will you accept the dog back if it doesn't work out after X amount of time?"

Will someone from the group bring the dog on a home visit so you can do an initial test on the cat(s)' home ground? If the dog immediately tries to go after the cat, you'll know it's not much use to try and will put your cat's life at risk. Or make life miserable for the cat, dog, and humans with restrictions, constant tension, and so on.

No, racer/nonracer has nothing to do with the prey drive instinct. My current greyhound x breed has the highest prey drive I have ever experienced. He will kill ANYTHING except another dog, and he has never been near a racing kennel.

I don't want to come across as a terrible person. I am all about saving animals lives and making peace for every and any animal I can.

I am sorry for the post. In a desperate attempt to make my partner see how disappointing of a decision it would be to make to get this dog I have now looked like a complete heartless **.

I apologise

Hey -- you asked a question, you were open to the responses. It's cool.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

The intent of your questions was to be able to discourage your partner from adopting a greyhound because of the cat issue, but you probably should have addressed it a different way. Some folks took it as your wanting to lie to the adoption group and get the greyhound anyway. Please don't take it personally. I'm glad you are thinking about both animals' safety and quality of life.