Oops!

I've been very lucky with Grace and her toilet training. From the start she never went inside until yesterday... :ohno

I was visiting my mother in her second floor flat and had been there for about an hour when we thought "Where has Grace gone?" Looking towards the front door there she was crouched down doing a wee on the hall carpet... :yikes

Luckily my mother wasn't upset and after a quick clean up the carpet was unblemished if not a little damp. And no she didn't get told off as it wasn't Grace's fault we had both missed the warning signs. I blame the weather as it was raining and Grace refused to step outside for a comfort break before we went to my mother's.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Could be missing her signals. Could be a combination of the smell of another dog's pee combined with the "I'm not at home, therefore, house training isn't nearly so important". I know I have to watch Mercury carefully in new places to make sure he knows this is "indoors" and the rules still apply (No see no sky, no pee. See the grass, unclench your *ss).

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

I think they also need to learn precisely the boundaries. I had a similar thing with Logan, two or three weeks after I got him I recall he was heading toward the back sliding door, stopped on the carpet in the great room just before the door (it is carpeted up to the door then has bare flooring in the kitchen and in front of the sliding door) squatted and went, looking at me as he was going as if to ask: "Close enough?" I told him "NO" and opened the sliding door and he went out. I think after that he understood that just outside the sliding door is ok, just inside the sliding door is not. Of course I could be over-anthromorphising here :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

She got as close as she could! I agree you probably just missed her signals, which might have been different when visiting.

It's also really common for them to feel as if they are made of sugar and will melt in the rain!! That's when you have to determine if you really need to "make" her go out to toilet, or if you think she will last a bit longer. If you think she needs to go you might need to put her on leash and stay with her until she does. I had one girl who would "fake" going potty - she would sniff for a second and then squat, but NOT go - so she could go back inside! :lol

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My first greyhound, Scout, picked up potty-training very quickly--I think we only had one accident. Feeling that we were ready to go visiting after a couple weeks, I took her to visit my folks who are not dog people at all. I will never forget Scout walking calmly into their house and immediately squatting to do her business on their brand new carpet! I was mortified. I had not realized that while she was trained at home, she didn't know the same rules applied to other houses and buildings. Potty-training 101 had to be done when we were visiting.

Scout never had another potty accident in her life, but my folks have never fully trusted any of my dogs since that visit and that was 20 years and 7 dogs ago.

I'm just glad my mother, who is in her 80's and has had pets on and off through her life, was so understanding. All she said was "It's expected with pets and children and do you want some rubber gloves?"

And no, Grace isn't barred from visiting her. I think she looks forward to seeing Grace more than me, and who else is going to help eat the ginger nut biscuits? :hehe

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time