Best Car/suv For Greyhounds

LoveMyGrey

I had a Subaru Legacy sedan when I adopted our first GH. Loved the car, but my boy was too tall when he stood on the back seat. Went to a Subaru Forester, which was perfect. He could lay down in the back and look out the windows without standing up. Kept the Forester through the second adoption. When we adopted #3, we went to a mini-van and mostly rode with all the seats removed from the back, except when we were transporting people as well as dogs. I have the Kia Sedona and I regularly transport 5 hounds long distances (7 hours) with no space issues. I love Subarus and just checked out the interior space on the new Ascent. Beautiful car and it would definitely fit 3-4 dogs, but it's high off the ground and the seats fold flat, but not level and spaces between the second and third rows. So, our next vehicle will be another mini-van....probably the Chrysler Pacifica with it's Stow and Go seats.

• 2 months later...

I had a Dodge Caliber that I could haul 3 hounds in til a teen hit me 3 years ago. Then I leased a Ford Flex....awesome as it can easily fit 6 - 7 hounds, but massive gas hog...and it had a ton of sensor issues. I just purchased a Subaru Forester yesterday! The hounds haven't been in it *yet* but it is my everyday car and the houndmobile...I have no doubt all 4 of my hounds will be able to fit in there plus my cat in her carrier in the front seat. I have a 74 lbs male, a ~70 lbs male, a ~70 lb female and Zelda was about 58 lbs at last weigh in (She's 13.5 years of age now).

I'm hoping this new Forester lasts me at least 10 years, which will get me through all 4 hounds.

I had a Subaru Legacy sedan when I adopted our first GH. Loved the car, but my boy was too tall when he stood on the back seat. Went to a Subaru Forester, which was perfect. He could lay down in the back and look out the windows without standing up. Kept the Forester through the second adoption. When we adopted #3, we went to a mini-van and mostly rode with all the seats removed from the back, except when we were transporting people as well as dogs. I have the Kia Sedona and I regularly transport 5 hounds long distances (7 hours) with no space issues. I love Subarus and just checked out the interior space on the new Ascent. Beautiful car and it would definitely fit 3-4 dogs, but it's high off the ground and the seats fold flat, but not level and spaces between the second and third rows. So, our next vehicle will be another mini-van....probably the Chrysler Pacifica with it's Stow and Go seats.

The Forester I got, when I fold the 2nd row flat, has something to cover the space between the 2nd row and the cargo area. Plus one thing I love about Subarus is they have the plastic tray that goes on the back of the 2nd row.

And one thing the salesman made sure to point out to me to prove Subaru had made the updated Forester more "dog friendly" is that the back doors open fully to 90 degrees. I just couldn't bring myself to get a minivan, especially if I want to drive out on the beach here in STX. I'd rather have AWD and decent gas mileage. I didn't go for the Ascent as I had 3rd row seating in the Flex that I literally never used in 3 years and the dogs had tons of extra space. So rather than drive around a huge vehicle every day, I went for the Forester.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I just bought a Subaru Crosstrek, the seats fold down flat and are rubberized on the back which is perfect and my very tall (76lb) hound can stand up without his shoulders touching the roof. My partner has an F150 where the seats completely fold up in the back and he has tons of room in that.