No More Kibble

sonya

After dealing with pancreatitis and trying to find decent low fat dog food I am now feeding only what I make for my 10 year old Hero. After two trips to emergency vet for diarrhea and bland diet I've decided no more processed food. Using brown rice, boiled meat, mashed veggies, unsweetened applesauce or pumpkin. Lipase level dropped 600 points fron 2200 to 1650. He has now been cleared for his dental.

that is awesome! :yay :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Good job!

Make sure you talk with a vet nutritionist so you can find an an additive to get all the vitamins, minerals, and trace elements necessary. I know some people just add a multi vitamin, but I would want to check with someone professional.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Good job!

Make sure you talk with a vet nutritionist so you can find an an additive to get all the vitamins, minerals, and trace elements necessary. I know some people just add a multi vitamin, but I would want to check with someone professional.

Ditto. Might need Clovalite (sp?) or something similar.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

That is awesome! Good job. What type/s of meat are you using?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Would you mind sharing how you prepare the food and what ingredients go into it? I’m considering home cooking for Lola.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

So far I've only used chicken breast or boiled 80/20 ground beef. Use rice cooker for brown rice, mashed carrots or cauliflower or peas, pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce. Will have discussion with vet on Thursday when Hero goes for his dental. Will update after.

Yep. That commercial kibble is bad stuff IMO. When I switched to raw and saw the difference raw made that's what I have fed ever since. I still give them a little kibble for snacks etc. but chemicals and processed stuff is just way below natural fresh healthy stuff-for dogs and humans IMO. And just think- if his other body improvements once you stopped the kibble were even only a fraction as much as his 600 point lipase level improvement then he has to be feeling TONS better :)

i throw and entire chicken(skin removed) in a big pot and a ton of rice and water and over cook it. basically it's a simple form of congee. the difficult part is deboning the chicken, i'm usually impatient and try to do it when it's hot. you can throw the veggies in while over cooking the rice. the cooking takes over an hour. rx vitamins has excellent vit 6/amino acids and multi-vitamins, you might look into it.

kudos to you! felix's #s have not gone down w/ this, but your dog's #s have- that's FANTASTIC. i am positive that something else is brewing inside of felix.

https://www.rxvitamins.com/rxvitaminsforpet/

So far I've only used chicken breast or boiled 80/20 ground beef. Use rice cooker for brown rice, mashed carrots or cauliflower or peas, pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce. Will have discussion with vet on Thursday when Hero goes for his dental. Will update after.

I'm very interested to hear what the vet has to say. Lola is having what we think might be food allergies. The vet put her on a prescription kibble. It costs a fortune, which is not, thankfully, a problem, but the ingredients scare the pee-doodles out of me! There's not one thing on the label that is not chemical. And, she doesn't much care for it.

I'd certainly be willing and able to cook for her if it would benefit her.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

cost effective? i have been cooking for felix for the past 6 month. so, i tend to say, NO! cheaper than RX diets- YES! but due to his need for both LOW FAT and LOW PROTEIN i really don't have a choice.

the supplements do add up. rice, veggies, meats can all be found on sale, time to prep it- labor of love or insanity. you pick the lesser evil!