Sign in to follow this  
robinw

Skunked!

Xavi was skunked in the middle of the night when I let them outside. I didn't realize it until I got to work this morning (I have a bad cold and can't smell anything), and my coworker smelled it on me, although I suspected it by the way he was acting after I let him back in. I guess that's one way to get people out the door fast :rofl

What do people here use to get rid of the odor? I've read about tomato juice, etc. but am curious to see what's worked for others.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

I was in the vet office one day when a lady came in to ask for some skunk off. Apparently the stuff from the vet office is the most effective stuff to use - of course and the most expensive. I did hear someone say "toothpaste" but, gee.....wouldn't that be an interesting slathering!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I was in the vet office one day when a lady came in to ask for some skunk off. Apparently the stuff from the vet office is the most effective stuff to use - of course and the most expensive. I did hear someone say "toothpaste" but, gee.....wouldn't that be an interesting slathering!

He's going to the vet for surgery tomorrow. Maybe they will have time to try it. Tonight I'm taking him to Petsmart for whatever they do to deskunk.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

the best stuff is this for getting skunk odor off:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 teaspoon dish soap

keep away from face/eyes (which unfortunately is what usually gets the biggest hit).

Kim, Bruce, Larry (PTL LaRoach) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It) - missing my sweet Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011) and Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Chester (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

1/4 cup baking soda

1 teaspoon dish soap

keep away from face/eyes (which unfortunately is what usually gets the biggest hit).

This.

Tomato juice just makes dog orange.

This recipe works very well, but he'll still need another bath or two.

I've had 4 skunked dogs over the years.

This.

Tomato juice just makes dog orange.

This recipe works very well, but he'll still need another bath or two.

I've had 4 skunked dogs over the years.

My poor German Shep was skunked TWICE!!! you'd think he'd learn his lesson.... but noooo....

I tried the Dawn recipe, the tomato juice recipe, and the vet skunk shampoo.... nothing worked... it took a month before the smell was truly out of the pup and the house... it is the ABSOLUTE WORST!!!

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

1/4 cup baking soda

1 teaspoon dish soap

Yes, this!!

Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

1/4 cup baking soda

1 teaspoon dish soap

Yes!! This!!

Robin, your cold must be very bad :lol Sorry!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Now that's all I smell, even after I douse myself with Lysol :lol

Eewww :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Zeke AND Larry just got skunked last month, Zeke got the worst of it. Fortunately, they both were muzzles with stool guards in them so the muzzles took a good portion of the stink.

I actually do not mind the "normal" skunk smell but MAN when they get the stuff up close -- damn, it is acrid, nasty stuff. Zeke STILL smells.

Robin, hope Xavi smells better after he gets done at PS - and hope you feel better!

Kim, Bruce, Larry (PTL LaRoach) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It) - missing my sweet Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011) and Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Chester (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Nature's Miracle makes a skunk odor remover. Probably available in local pet stores or WalMart, but here;s the Chewy Link https://www.chewy.com/natures-miracle-skunk-odor-remover/product-reviews/42116?reviewSort=NEWEST&reviewFilter=ALL_STARS&pageNumber=1

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Always missing my boy Hi Noon Rocket. The home of Petunia, MW Neptunia and Kate, Miss Kate.

If you make the peroxide one, do NOT store it. It will explode! If you don’t use it all, discard it.

Been there, done that, had to clean the ceiling in the pantry :-(

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

:goodluck

And be aware that every time it rains and the dog gets wet...the smell will come back.

For a long time.....

NSK-Winter.jpg.a6ea578c2e544932c5222b81cda3216d.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

Xavi of course

I feel your pain. Milo of course. I had the Nature's Miracle on hand because I had seen a skunk around and stocked up. But there is not enough de-skunker in the world to get the smell out of the dog. I tried everything else in subsequent baths -- including a home remedy I read about of Massengill douche :yikes -- but the smell lingered on him faintly for months. The vet said that unfortunately that was normal. Milo is a real snugglehound and it made snuggling ... unpleasant.

Tomato juice helped get the smell off my hands at work the second day, according to my co-workers. I have an impaired sense of smell and I was getting what smelled like rancidly sweet airplane exhaust.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

1/4 cup baking soda

1 teaspoon dish soap

This is what I have heard is the absolute best thing. Warning though you have to put it on them BEFORE you put water on them as if you wet the dog first with water it don't work. At least that is what I was told.

Luckily I can't smell a thing! I even cancelled his deskunking bath last night. This morning when I took him to the vet, of course they mentioned that he had been skunked. there are advantages to having a bad cold :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Did you let the vet try to de-skunk him when he was in for surgery? Not sure you want to let that linger too much longer; it's in the air and will waft onto your couch and furniture, carpets, etc...... Imagine, you didn't get skunked, but you reek just being in the vicinity of him - similarly your house will also take a toll. Good luck!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Did you let the vet try to de-skunk him when he was in for surgery? Not sure you want to let that linger too much longer; it's in the air and will waft onto your couch and furniture, carpets, etc...... Imagine, you didn't get skunked, but you reek just being in the vicinity of him - similarly your house will also take a toll. Good luck!

She said they discussed it and agreed that he wasn’t that stinky. My house isn’t that bad, I don’t think. I didn’t smell st work today, which is a good sign.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Ugh. I'm glad it wasn't worse for him and for you, but still...

I hope the surgery went well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13); Greys Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07), Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17)

Ugh. I'm glad it wasn't worse for him and for you, but still...

I hope the surgery went well.

Thanks. He’s home and the removed growth has been sent out for biopsy.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Nature's Miracle makes a skunk odor remover. Probably available in local pet stores or WalMart, but here;s the Chewy Link https://www.chewy.com/natures-miracle-skunk-odor-remover/product-reviews/42116?reviewSort=NEWEST&reviewFilter=ALL_STARS&pageNumber=1

nature's miracle the absolute worst stuff. my scottie seemed to always get sprayed, yup right in the long beard, eye brows and even up his nose. the manufacturer told me it breaks down the spray over time. well, he smelled worse a day later! i ended up using the stuff up to deodorize dirty dogs if they boarded here. it works really well for that, no need to give them a bath.

one groomer i used just repetitively washed my saluki after he was sprayed during a black out! she must have bathed him 1/2 dozen times. that was fun, no lights, no hot water and stinky dog in the back yard!

my friend from texas uses MILK to neutralize the odor.???????

i have used concentrated tomato paste, that you can purchase in a tube and diluted that, it works. i'll purchase more since there are resident skunks at my texas rental!!!!

when the dogs flushed out a litter of skunks while joe was fishing i ran to the 7-11 and bought out their v-8 juice, the closest to tomato juice, it worked! that was fun driving home w/ 2 sprayed dogs, brand new car lined with newspaper flapping all over the place since we had the windows wide open.

man, you must have a heavy cold if you didn't smell it!

Edited by cleptogrey