Rocket (Hi Noon Rocket) 11/24/05 – 10/8/18

Time4ANap

I am so sorry for your loss. Seems like a crowd is gathering at the bridge. I know of at least 4 other pups who left their families today.

Sending hugs.

I am sure Scarlett greeted Rocket

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I'm so sorry. I don't have the appropriate words to express my feelings. Mostly I want to send you and your wife all my bestest and most supportive thoughts and hugs.

Those dogs that worm their way into the center of our world must be special angels. Its truly incredible the impact they have on our lives.

Run In Peace Rocket.......

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so very sorry. Rocket was a special GT hound and will be much missed by his GT fans.

My many girls (and one boy) at the bridge will welcome Rocket.

Godspeed Rocket.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Rest well, dear Rocket. Say hi! to my Wendy for me, please.

So very sorry for your loss.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

He was extraordinary, as was the bond between you. Godspeed, good boy. Hugs to your people.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I’m so sorry to see this, Don and Chris. Rocket was one of a kind and a huge part of the Greytalk community. Your tribute was as special as your one of a kind boy. Please know that we are thinking about you both and sending you a hug across the miles. I know that Bee Wiseman and Murray welcomed Rocket at the Bridge with a big bucket of Thrasher’s fries. I am crying while writing this thinking of our three hounds gone from this earth. Thank you for sharing Rocket with all of us. We will never forget him.

Love,

Tricia & Burke

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Sadly, we had to help our boy Rocket cross the Rainbow Bridge today. I was able to write this over the weekend while looking at the screen through many tears, as I knew that once the scheduled time arrived, I wouldn’t be able to do this.

To say that we are devastated doesn’t even scratch the surface. The boy who answered to a million nicknames and never met a French Fry he didn’t like started having mobility issues about 8 weeks ago, and thanks to his vet who came to the house to treat him, and others who provided help and advice, he was holding his own until last week. We started seeing a rapid decline in his mobility, and his daily routine with things such as strength, appetite and interest in being wherever we are every minute of the day. We each knew that the time was coming, but his decline over the weekend convinced us that a day too soon is always better than a day too late.

His vet and her assistant came to the house and ensured that he left us the same way we first met, happy and with a wagging tail. He had a very peaceful crossing.

We first met Rocket at a Meet & Greet in a Petco in Indianapolis, IN on a day where we drove for hours through two ice storms, passing a fatal accident on the interstate and constantly thinking that we should turn around and go home instead of going to meet dogs. We continued on, and met all of the hounds on our list of potential adoptees with no success. There was not a dog there who gave us the time of day. After meeting all of those dogs, a big brindle boy in a green coat walked in the door with his tail whipping like he owned the place, and eventually he walked over and leaned into me. He never left my side for well over two hours. We shopped for toys, we walked the store, went outside for a poop and a pee. I still remember the guys from GPA Indy laughing and asking if I had met any dogs of interest – while the big brindle boy was practically attached to my hip. He wasn’t on our list, and he wasn’t even supposed to be there, but his foster had gone out of town and Bev Creamer was keeping him for the weekend. She just happened to bring him to that M&G. That boy picked us. It was meant to be. The rest is history. We bought him a toy and plunked down the deposit to hold him until the home check could be done. He was already costing us money. Yup – he was ours. That day on the way back home, we hit another ice storm, had to stop to get a hotel for the night, and miss the Willie Nelson concert I had waited my whole life to see. He was already costing us more money. Yup - he was ours. (I still haven’t managed to see Willie Nelson in person.)

He was brought to us a few weeks later by Shelby (GottaluvgreysIndy) and her husband Ben. They needed to do our home check and deliver him. The wind chill outside was 25 below zero, and the boy was not used to peeing while on a leash. After many attempts, he peed – on the artificial ficus tree in the corner of the living room. Yup – he was ours. That tree graced his turnout area for years.

He quickly adjusted to home life, loving walks, car rides, toys, visitors and his established routine that 8:15 PM was time for ice cream. You could set your watch by him showing up at ice cream time. He was also the timekeeper of the nap clock. Almost every afternoon he would approach my chair and stare me down until I asked if he wanted to take a nap. He would then lead me to the bedroom. Again – like clockwork.

There are way too many great times over the years to recount here. The biggest event of his life was the day that he and Lexie got married in a virtual wedding right here on GreyTalk with all of their friends in the chat club attending. A wild time was had by all, but what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. He and Lexie never got meet in-person but he did get to meet his mother-in-law, Lexie’s Mom when she visited us here in Phoenix last year.

Over the years he got to travel and was a road trip expert. He traveled to the east coast where he spent time with my family, and he took a big road trip when we moved from IL to AZ, stopping at the Greyhound Hall of Fame to have his picture taken with his Grand Daddy’s Hall of Fame Plaque (Gable Dodge). If the suitcase came out, he was waiting by the car. Sometimes if the car door was open he would get in and refuse to get out. He went to Kanab and other greyhound events such as group picnics. That tail would whip in circles when we would pull into a parking lot and he saw other hounds. Oddly enough, he rarely played or interacted with those hounds, instead preferring to hang with people, because people have treats. He also worked some Meet and Greets before he got older and a little cranky. He worked the Open House at University of Illinois Vet Med School like an old pro. He loved the hundreds of kids who came by to pet him during his shifts there. He also donated blood for a canine cancer study at the Vet Med School. Later, they repaid the favor by treating him a few times in their ER when he wasn’t feeling well.

While we had our moments when he bit me and others due to being startled, those things weren’t his fault. Sometimes humans do stupid stuff. It didn’t make him any less “ours.”

Rocket was a favorite of the neighbors and people well beyond the immediate streets when we were out walking. He has fan clubs in IL and here in AZ. He also knew every house on our walking route that might have a treat. He loved kids, because kids love to pet dogs. That tail would whip anytime he saw a kid coming his way.

We are going to miss this boy beyond belief. He has been at my side, all day, every day for almost 10 years. I used to work from home, and have battled multiple types of cancer for the past several years. Rocket has been my office mate, walking buddy, nurse, doctor and most of all, my best buddy. I think you only get one “heart dog.” I got lucky and found mine on the first try. He was a character. There wasn’t a day of his life with us that he didn’t make us and many others laugh hysterically. Those who watched him or boarded him over the years always commented on how much he made them laugh. That’s probably his legacy – he was hysterically funny. DW also worked from home for years so he was our excuse to get out of the office and take a walk. He loved having his humans at home with him all the time.

He was also smart. He didn’t miss any clue as to what was going on around him. If my hand went into my pocket, I must be getting the keys out to go for a ride. If we were talking about picking up dinner, the question “What do you want on it?” was his clue that there was probably going to be a ride to the drive thru. He didn’t miss a thing, ever.

We will probably be taking a break from pet ownership for a bit, but the rest of Rocket’s greyhound family will be here to visit and get us through this. Trolley, Snickers, Conner, Val and assorted fosters will still be staying with us as needed to carry on the need for the toy box and all of these beds. We will also be checking in here with our GreyTalk family and maybe attending a few events and picnics in the future. It is going to be a rude awakening for a while to wake up in the morning and find a bare space on the floor, and not see 4 white paws sticking straight up in the air (which still makes me laugh).

He had a great last few days. Last night, Trolley and Snickers and their Moms stopped by to see Rocket and brought him some French Fries. On Saturday morning he had his favorite fast food, an Egg McMuffin for breakfast. He had his ice cream that he loves. This morning he had his third favorite thing in the world behind fries and ice cream, Daddyman’s scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese. He made me feed them to him by hand. Not that he’s spoiled. We checked all of his favorite boxes.

Run pain-free, Rocket. Go find your litter mate sister Katie Scarlett, your cousin Taylor, your friends Sallie, Boomer, Holmes & Cosmo, and your annoying little old lady sister, Allie. You will be well taken care of by them and all of your other GreyTalk friends who arrived there before you. Be sure to belly up to the French Fry and Bacon Buffet that Chef Seamie is preparing for your welcome party. I also heard that there’s vanilla ice cream on tap. You can eat all you want. There’s no more grumbling tummy. There’s going to be a new hound in a pimp hat at the Bridge Mixer tonight. Sorry girls, he married.

Love you, buddy. Save me some ice cream.

YLgf5OA.jpg

I had to add this after the fact. : I got some great pictures the past few days and took this one yesterday when Rocket went outside to do outside things. It’s an awesome picture. He was in pain and having trouble getting up and down, but you would never know it.

o9yvhtO.jpg

At the same time, a storm was coming through with the sun out – rain and sun at the same time. We looked up and saw this – double rainbows while Rocket was in the yard. I think his friends at the bridge were letting us know that he will be okay.

ih0noZ1.jpg

A27gOpX.jpg

Then, last night, we were outside saying goodbye to Snickers and Trolley. We looked up and saw of all things – a rocket. It was a booster rocket from the Space-X launch in California lighting up the sky. I guess the signs are just everywhere that our boy will be just fine. As for us, I’m not so sure.

Rocket's Greyhound Data Page with a few good pics. If someone with access would add his date of passing I would appreciate it.

So very very sorry to hear this. A greyt tribute to him and thank you for sharing him with all of us

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Don, my heart sank when I saw Rocket’s name. I’m so very sorrt. He will be sorely missed and GT will not be the same without him.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

A very sad day. Rocket was and always will be one of those pups you will remember. I am very sorry you had to say goodbye.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Run free, Rocket.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

:f_white I am so very sorry for your loss. I always loved reading about Rocket, who reminded me both in looks and character of my own old boy Doc. Your tribute is beautiful, I can see from it just how good care you took of him and what a special bond you had.

Run free, Rocket, young and strong once more :gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Shocked, stunned, bereaved to the max :sad1 - seeing Rockets's name in the Remembrance forum this morning knocked my breath away. But in my heart I knew he was well and love still ruled. Love is always bigger than the pain. Then I read this part of his beautiful tribute: "Go find your litter mate sister Katie Scarlett, your cousin Taylor, your friends Sallie, Boomer, Holmes & Cosmo, and your annoying little old lady sister, Allie. You will be well taken care of by them and all of your other GreyTalk friends who arrived there before you. Be sure to belly up to the French Fry and Bacon Buffet that Chef Seamie is preparing for your welcome party. I also heard that there’s vanilla ice cream on tap. You can eat all you want. There’s no more grumbling tummy. There’s going to be a new hound in a pimp hat at the Bridge Mixer tonight. Sorry girls, he's married." That kind of took my breath away again-its message was so much more powerful than just the words convey. And then I read about the double rainbow AND the rocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, Rocket is well. There can be no doubt about it. And I know from what my bridge angels taught me that now that he is on the other side he has even more power than he did when he was here in body. He sent those signs to comfort us in our grief and assure us that he was well and that our love, our love not only will survive, it will be stronger. Someday the horrible pain will be a memory of deep sadness but Rocket's love will still be vibrant and alive. It is undeniable. I would be lying if I said I didn't understand that in the deepest part of my heart. Thank you Rocket! And my deepest sympathy to all your friends and family still here in body. You are loved always!!!! :beatheart

:f_red :f_red :f_red :f_red :f_red:gh_child

Edited by racindog

Over the past few weeks, as you logged some of Rocket's increasing difficulties, I've been praying that classic plea, "Please not yet. Just a little longer." But Rocket and his people knew best.

As you've shared Rocket stories and pictures over the years, you've reinforced to all of us who already love this breed everything we cherish about our hounds. Rocket is one of our symbols of the beauty, affection, loyalty, and goofiness of life with greyhounds. We all love him too, and join with you in grieving him.

I had never heard the "how we met Rocket" story. Best Willie Nelson concert you never heard. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so very sorry. Rocket, we will miss you, but we will always have Vegas. Antnee was honored to be Soos Chef.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

What a shock to read about Rocket :( Our condolences :f_white:f_white

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.