Tips ?! For A New Grey Owner !

Guest Amos93

Guest Amos93

Hello all. newbie here! *wave*

Me and my partner are thinking of adopting two ex racers from our local greyhound rescue. We have chosen the dogs who have been kennelled together until we take them home so they can get to know each other. We have a home check scheduled this week so hoping that goes well!

The thing I want to ask is: does anyone have any tips for their first night in our home and how I can make them feel as relaxed and safe as possible?

We live in a 3 storey Home and we were going to put the dogs in the kitchen at night time so they are confined and if any messes happen it is easy to clean. I have read that some ex racers dont like the stairs etc so getting them up two flights to our bedroom sounds tiring haha (but would give it a go if it meant a good nights sleep!) would it be easier or harder with x2 greys? I think it will be tough but my partner doesnt think so. The reason we are having 2 is so they have company whilst I am out at work (6 hours a day).

Theyd be getting 1 30-45 minutes walk in the morning before I go to work and then maybe an hour when me and OH are home.

Any tips / tricks for helping them to settle in would be amazing!

Congratulations in advance on getting your greys!

I don't have experience with two new dogs at once. But putting two new ones far away -- where you won't be able to correct any pee/poop mistakes until morning, when they won't know what you're trying to correct them on, and you won't know who did what, sounds like setting yourself up for a few problems.

I concentrate on trying to prevent indoor pee/poop. First off, I'd take them outside a lot those first evenings. A Lot. They won't know how to signal that they need to go -- they've never had to. They've been taken out on a schedule and that's what they'll expect now. Throw a party of praise and treats whenever either pees/poops. It sounds like you'll be walking them on leash? Just to warn you, I've had two who did not like to poop on leash, so I had to keep walking forever, give them extra long time to sniff, turn my back to give them "privacy," let them back up into a bush ... . Inside, I have often kept them tethered to me on an extra long leash the first 24 hours so that I know the instant one of them looks ready to lift a leg or squat, and I can hustle them outside immediately and throw the party when they produce. You've got two hounds and two humans -- perfect for one-on-one bonding with this method. It IS a nuisance that first 24 hours, but works great.

Even though there's two of them, they might get nervous by themselves all night in a strange place. Dogs sleep with their pack. They won't understand why you're so far away from them. I crate the newcomer at night in my bedroom after the 24-hr leash period. If you don't plan to get crates, can you borrow them? Or a tall "x pen" might work, with a shower curtain or other waterproof surface under it. If you don't want to try them on your stairs at first, it might be good to have one of you sleep in the same room with them. Trading a few nights on the couch would be easier in the long run than hearing them bark and whine two stories down.

It'll work out. Enjoy seeing them explore their whole new world. Give them space and time to take in what living in a home with humans is all about, and transform from working dog to beloved pet.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

A baby gate at the top of the stairs will prevent falls during the night. Hope the stairs have carpet. Agree with sleeping in the room wherever that ends up. My first 2 needed muzzles in the beginning, misplaced aggression happened when approaching new dogs. Good luck Visit a Meet & Greet for lots of info,greyhound folks are never at a loss for words. Welcome to the cult

:nod :nod :nod

Sleep with them ...or very close by.

Treat them as if they are 8 week old puppies..they have never had to ask to go out to potty.

When we got Nixon we had our GSDx and PointerX and he did learn from them.

They may not have issues with stairs.

Nixon took 2 weeks of s-l-o-w practice to figure it out.

Ruby came here and bounded up and down like she'd been doing them forever. Same with Nigel.

Sid went up OK but was ...and still is...cautious and methodical about going down.

Our stairs are wood. We had sandpaper strips on them, but put carpet treads on as Nixon aged. Now that Ruby is 11 and Nigel 10 I'm glad we did that.

:goodluck...and we will need pictures!

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Relax. Your dogs dont hate you :lol I know I thought that after I adopted my first hound. Just take it very slow.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Dogs are pack animals and prefer to be with their pack for sleeping, so I would try and have them in your bedroom for sleeping. If that's really out of the question then make them a special place somewhere they are comfortable - out of drafts, warm and soft beds. And they will probably whine to go out by about 5:30am anyway. I would definitely have one of you sleep near them if possible.

But they need to learn to do stairs anyway, so I would probably just bite the bullet and begin how you need to go on - teaching them the stairs right away. Many people who live in apartments with no elevators have to do this for pottying and walking with their new greyhounds. You can search here for strategies for teaching the stairs.

The other things to remember is to not overwhelm them with too much too soon - they will most likely be a bit shut down after coming home, so just let them be as much as you can. Sit in the room with them, watch tv or read a book, feed and potty them on their new weekday schedule. And remember everything is new and maybe a little scary for them. Time and patience, always.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Amos93

Thank you all for the great advice!

Im not against having them sleeping in the bedroom with us - but did want them to be used to being in the kitchen where they would be when we are at work, so thought may as well have them sleep there too and make it their little den/safe zone. It is hard to predict what they will be like before theyve even arrived into our home - im just so worried we will do things that will do more harm than good (thinking we are doing the right thing of course).

Ive never owned greys before - always had terriers. And never had a rescue either, always a pup! But I am going to treat the pair as if they weee pups. I guess Im just extra nervous because there will be two at the same time!!!

X

Try not to be anxious! Greyhounds are dogs, they just have had a unique upbringing from others you have had!

The biggest difference is in that upbringing. They have had a very structured puppyhood - everything happens on a schedule!- and they do better (for the most part) with a strict routine.

Another big difference is in their motivation to please you. Sighthounds in general have been bred to run and hunt independently and make their own decisions, not so much about pleasing their people. So training is all about finding the right motivator, whether that's a food treat, or a toy, or clicker training.

You're NOT going to break your dog! ;) They are very forgiving! So try to relax and enjoy the ride with time and patience for all of you!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Percy took about 2 weeks to really get the hang of the stairs if I recall correctly. The first 2 nights, I slept on the living couch and he was in his crate next to me. The third night he stayed in his crate and I slept upstairs in bed. He was fine. It was maybe 2 weeks later, after he had learned stairs, that he started rooing in the morning. I think he decided we were now his pack and no longer liked being alone. I had tried to entice him upstairs at bedtime prior to that, but wasn't able to. He could do the stairs, but it seemed too hard at night when he was tired. He finally decided to come upstairs and sleep with us.

I would think that with 2, they'd be fine in the kitchen alone. Percy was crated, so didn't have accidents (except he did poop in his crate one morning, but I don't think he could help it--had upset tummy). If you get them early enough in the day and keep reinforcing that they go outside to potty, they might already have the hang of inside/outside by bedtime. But without crates, it's hard to know. If they're crying at night, then you'll know they need a human downstairs with them for a couple nights. But they're used to sleeping with other dogs, not humans, so I'd think they'd be ok together.

I'm in the minority in that Grace sleeps downstairs in the main room not upstairs with me. The first few nights she whined with the occasional bark but soon settled down and very quickly got the hang of where to go to the toilet.

One bit of advice I can offer is don't let them get away with anything you don't want them to even once. If you don't want them on the sofa don't let them on it even once. If you don't want them begging at meal times or when you're enjoying a drink and a biscuit don't give them a titbit even once, only feed them in their bowls. Treats for training and just for being greyhounds are great. Grace stays on one of her beds until I've finished eating and only gets up when I go to take my dishes into the kitchen to feed her.

Remember to enjoy your life being turned upside down by these amazing hounds.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Guest Amos93

I'm in the minority in that Grace sleeps downstairs in the main room not upstairs with me. The first few nights she whined with the occasional bark but soon settled down and very quickly got the hang of where to go to the toilet.

Im glad you have said that yours sleeps downstairs. I was beginning to think I would need to share my bedroom with my hounds which I would do as a last resort. Thanks!

Just to say, if you find they won't settle downstairs you can always try having them in your room just to begin with, until they've gained confidence.

This was what I ended up doing with my first dog Doc - he didn't want to sleep alone downstairs, but I didn't particularly want him in my bedroom either. (Not enough floorspace!) What worked for us was him sleeping in my room for the first few weeks, then when he'd grown more confident moving the bed into the back bedroom. Eventually when he became old and arthritic he had to be banned from using the stairs but by then he was happy to sleep in the living room anyway. It helped to leave the bedroom door open, too, so he could hear me moving about.

Ken on the other hand settled happily down on the back bedroom bed from the first night. Like Doc before him he will come running in to me when he hears the alarm clock go off, which makes a very nice start to both our days!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

We’re new with a hound as well, you’ve gotten some good advice here. Our guy went up stairs first night no problem, coming down is a slower process think it’s their leg length and their far sightedness. To help them feel more comfortable in the area you want them to stay in feeding and watering in that area helped our guy. Good luck!

Were new with a hound as well, youve gotten some good advice here. Our guy went up stairs first night no problem, coming down is a slower process think its their leg length and their far sightedness. To help them feel more comfortable in the area you want them to stay in feeding and watering in that area helped our guy. Good luck!

Happy to put in the hours with the stairs thing - Although I am secretly hoping at least one of them just isnt bothered by them at all! Im so nervous getting two at the same time - nothing like throwing myself in at the deep end eh?! Lol x