Sudden Death Of Our Baby

Guest TheNamesTy45

Guest TheNamesTy45

I hate that this is my first post here, but I feel like I need to get this out to help the healing.

Yesterday my wife and I lost our first Greyhound suddenly. She was a beautiful vibrant 4 year old girl named Moonshine. We only had her for three months, but her sweet personality made it feel like we had her for 30 years, and we're completely lost without that baby. Her favorite things included swinging her rope toys around and launching them at the wall to chase after them, getting the zoomies upstairs and jumping into the beds at each end of the upstairs, peanut butter filled kongs when we went to work, and snuggling with us every second that we were home.

Yesterday, she was happy as could be and snuggled in bed with us for an hour as we pet her and woke up. The last thing she was doing was jumping from her bed to our rug downstairs because she was excited that I gave her her prized possession, a raw hide bone that she only got on the weekends because she'd chew on it until her gums bled if we left her with it too long.

During that excitement, she did something she NEVER did. She put the bone down within a few minutes of receiving it and laid down on her bed. She never let that thing go willingly, and I had to trick her with a treat to get it from her every time even if she had been chewing on it for two hours straight. Thinking nothing of it, I called her upstairs with me, and she brought the bone with her only to put it down again immediately in my office, she stood in the middle of my office and began crying (she never cries), so I figured she had to go pee.

She moved downstairs unusually slowly and after she finished peeing she held her squat shaking for another 10 - 15 seconds. That really helped me notice something was seriously off. She came in and slowly moved upstairs, but never picking her head up above her shoulders, just letting it slink down. She went into her bed next to my wife's and my bed and began crying and her muscles near her neck began to spasm. Within a minute she moved onto my wife's and my bed, this was the last time she ever moved by herself. We were immediately on the phone with a nearby vet who referred us to an animal hospital 12 minutes down the road. I called Moonshine to see if she would come with me downstairs. She tried moving her upper body, but her legs were completely paralyzed, and she couldn't stand so I carried her from upstairs into the car.

During the car ride, she was convulsing and her tongue turned completely blue and she foamed at the mouth. By the time we got her to the hospital she had stopped breathing. In the hospital they had to have a tube in her throat and pump to breathe for her, but they thought it was either an embolism or acute neck injury that could have happened while she was playing either from a genetic issue or old racing issue that was never noticed.

In about an hour our baby went from jumping for joy with a toy to gone. We weren't ready for this, but I just needed to post this somewhere for my sake to get this out. I'm sure all of you do, but just be sure to give your pups extra love. You never know when the time could come. Spoil them, love on them, and give them everything that they deserve. Do me a favor. For Moonshine, please just go hug your dogs now and give them a kiss. Let them know how much you love them and how lucky you are to have them. We don't deserve dogs, but we're so lucky that they think we do. Mommy and Daddy love you Moonshine, you may have only won one race, but you will always be #1 in our hearts.

nqKbghYl.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry you've lost your lovely girl.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm very sorry for your loss. She was gorgeous!

You are not alone in this. There are a number of people on this site who have lost hounds very suddenly. Like people, it just happens and there is never anything you can do about it except to know that you gave her the best life possible, and that you were her real forever home and family.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so sorry. What a terrible shock. :grouphug

Please let yourself grieve, and mourn Moonshine as she deserves. You've planted a little memory of your happy girl here with us.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

You have my greatest sympathy as I know how much of a shock something like this can be. My whippet had a disk go in his back and was instantly paralysed but at least I had him for two more days before I decided that, even though the emergency vet had said he could possibly recover as he had some feeling in his back end, his life would not have been the happy, carefree existence it once was and recovery was increasingly doubtful. Those two days at least gave me the time to get my head around what was happening, sadly you haven’t that small help.

Your Moonshine was beautiful and I know you gave her a wonderful home so please try to hold the positive thought that her time with you was one in which she knew joy and love and that she loved you in return.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

She was a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Also know there was likely nothing you could have done to prevent this from happening. Sudden death from a stroke or embolism is so hard because they go from being fine one minute to being gone the next. We've been in your shoes and are sending you big hugs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am so very, very sorry :( :( she was much too young :(:cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway