Dramamine For Motion Sickness

Poor Johnny--he's started having some issues with car sickness in our new van. I think it's mostly caused by him standing up in stop & go traffic. Anyway, I spoke to my vet about it, we're going to try (generic) Dramamine, along with limiting his line of sight.

Has anyone else used it? Did it work? Side effects? Thanks!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

It didn't work with my Sam, but that's just bad luck.

Side effects: It'll probably make him sleepy. (If that gets him to lie down in the car, that'll help.)

Allegedly, ginger is helpful, too. Take ginger snaps and you can both enjoy them.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Anything with ginger is worth trying, but as others have said try the ginger snaps because you can eat them whether they work or not. Depending on how severe the nausea is will really determine whether the ginger snaps work

When I was young and had an upset stomach my mother would warm ginger ale and give it to me to drink. I think she would warm it and stir it to get some of the carbonation out.

I tried ginger snaps, dramamine with snaps/biscuits, and just plain dog biscuits for dear Eve, who upchucked after just a few minutes in the car. Everything worked -- I think just getting something in her stomach helped.

What do you mean by limiting his line of sight?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

He can look out of the rear hatch (he's in a soft-sided crate) or the side windows. I've read that it can help to block what he sees outside of the van.

Hmm, ginger snaps...I'll put that on my list. Of course, with Johnny he will not eat ANYTHING if he's really nervous or excited (loves car rides, they just make him sick!).

Thanks everyone!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

He can look out of the rear hatch (he's in a soft-sided crate) or the side windows. I've read that it can help to block what he sees outside of the van.

Hmm, ginger snaps...I'll put that on my list. Of course, with Johnny he will not eat ANYTHING if he's really nervous or excited (loves car rides, they just make him sick!).

Thanks everyone!

My own personal experience with motion sickness, which may or may not translate to dogs - I am worse the farther back I am in the vehicle and the biggest help is being able to look out of the front window. The absolute worst is moving without being able to see that you're moving, though direction is important so now allowing him to stand backwards and watch out of the back makes sense. If he's in the absolute back if the van though I would consider moving him toward the front. If he didn't get sick before, think about what changed with the set up in the new vehicle and try to modify it.

I also third or fourth the ginger. :P I use TJs ginger chews for myself and they work like a charm but they are too hard/sticky for a dog so the ginger snaps are a good alternative, but you should be able to get a ginger supplement I believe, which you could give before heading out.

To answer your original question :lol I would expect the only side effect would be drowsiness.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I wish the Odyssey had the stow-and-go seats like the Chryslers, I'd have him perfectly positioned. I've got the snaps, going to give him some pills too, and have plenty of paper towels on hand. :)

I use the childs version on my Poodle mix every time we go anywhere, and as long as I get it into her at least 2 hours prior, we have no issues. She vomits on every single trip. It's awful. We have a prescription for her too, but it is $4 a pill, so gets spendy quickly. It does make her a bit groggy, but it's better than the vomit all over me and the car.

Karen

There is non-drowsy dramamine but I don't know if it's safe in dogs--something you might ask your vet about.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Willie Wonka was absoulty the worst when it came to getting car sick. I couldn't make it out of the driveway w/o him puking, to the main road with out peeing, on the highway w/o pooping. DD had to sit next to him since she was small and couldn't sit in the front seat.

The only thing that cured him was a 5 hr trip to a sleep away camp in VT. After 4 hrs he was empty and he never got car sick again.

Note: Dd's dog gets carsick! She sometimes medicates her, but the trip from San Antonio to British Columbia seemed to help immensely.

Any road trips in the not so distant future?

Edited by cleptogrey

We came up to VA yesterday, about seven and a half hours. He got two pills and cookies. We stopped after about two hours, he tried eating grass, drank some water, and puked up it back up. And was just fine after that! Oh, and I was able to push the crate forward a few more inches.

So I think I'll continue with the pills. Thanks everyone!