Sarge (Duron Sargent)

GreytNut

We lost our sweet old goofball.

Sarge was also known around these parts as Cheese Dog because he had ears that flipped forward and looked like little cheese triangles when he was interested in something.

He wasn't known for his smarts like some of the hounds we've had, but he made up for it with extra cuddliness. He was a big squishy love sponge. He never, ever tired of petting. Your hand would fall off before he could get enough pets. He loved armpit snuggles and ear rubs.

Unfortunately for all of us DH received a birthday gift through UPS. We had no idea what was in it because it was... well, a surprise gift.

Since DH was on a business trip I set the package aside for him to open when he got home and thought no more of it.

I found Sarge lying dead on his side this morning. He was stretched out with congealed blood visible underneath the skin on his belly. His gums were white, his tongue was white and he had foamed at the mouth.

It probably goes without saying that I was shocked, confused and stricken. I couldn't figure out what on earth had happened to him. It looked like he had suffered some kind of internal bleeding.

Then I noticed that the package was not on the table. I went looking for it and found it chewed open and empty in the dog run. He had stolen the box, opened it and eaten whatever was inside.

A call to the well-meaning sender revealed that she had given DH a bunch of black tea, dark chocolate covered coffee beans and some "really good raspberry candy"... sweetened with Xylitol. Any one of those could have killed him and he snarfed the whole damned lot.

I did not tell her that this killed our dog and neither DH nor I will ever mention it to her. It would have been pointless and cruel to say so when all she meant was to send a birthday treat. It was entirely, 100% my own stupid fault for leaving the box within reach. It simply never occurred to either me or DH that there were edibles in there, much less toxic edibles.

Mea culpa. I was a dumbass. And Sarge just did what he always did, which was seek and destroy all tasty items.

Public Service Announcement: If you receive a gift package and don't know what's in it, do not leave it anywhere within your dog's possible reach.

PSA #2: Black tea contains caffeine and tannins, both of which are toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate covered coffee beans contain theobromine and caffeine, both of which are toxic to dogs. Candy or *anything* from chewing gum to mouthwash that is sweetened with Xylitol kills dogs dead.

If there's any silver lining at all it's that I know he richly enjoyed his pilfered treasures. But that's very cold comfort considering the price he paid for it.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I'm so sorry. There are no adequate words.

Run-free, Sarge. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so sorry for your loss, and for the horrific circumstances around it. Please go easy on yourself. You could not have known. :grouphug

Rest well, Sarge.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

How tragic. I am so very sorry.

Run free, Sarge.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I loved the photos of Sarge's cheese triangle ears :heart I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

Godspeed good boy, rest well.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so very, VERY sorry. :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:sad1 Sounds like Sarge was quite a character. :brokenheart

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry to read how that happened to your Sarge, and thank you for warning us how an accident like that can come from the simplest of oversights.

:bighug Let's make all dog owners aware of the dangers in human foods. Run free and healthy at the bridge Sarge :gh_run

There are no words...peace to your broken hearts. Rest well, Sarge.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Oh, no! I'm so sorry for your shock and pain and sadness, and the loss of your precious boy. Be gentle to your grieving heart---there was no way you could have known.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

How awful. I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. I am so very sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Oh no....

So very sorry for the tragic loss of your boy.

:(

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

What an awful shock for you and dh. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, good boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Run free Sweet Sarge. I am so very sorry.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

My heart is bleeding for you. As C. S. Lewis said "You can’t see anything properly while your eyes are blurred with tears." :grouphug I must tell you though that I know for sure-because one of my bridge angels told me and taught me, that there was NOTHING you could have done to prevent it. Even if you would have put the box away somewhere then Sarge would have just found another way to leave. It was just his time and nobody could have changed it. Perhaps in time Sarge will teach you the same. He will be with you always. Love is energy like everything else and it cannot be destroyed-not even by death. My deepest sympathy.

:f_red :f_red :f_red :f_red

The birthday giver found out by accident. DH posted on Facebook that Sarge had died. No details. But she remembered that I had called to ask precisely what was in the package she sent and had asked for ingredients if she knew them. She's not stupid and put 2 and 2 together.

"OMG I killed your dog!" No, honey, you did not. You sent a thoughtful gift. I was stupid and careless and the dog got the package. I accept full responsibility. No guilt on your end. That was what I said to her and it's true.

The real pisser is that we're going to lose Finn too. He has osteosarcoma. It's fast and it's aggressive.

Enough death. We're full up here.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg