Sign in to follow this  
HeyRunDog

Why Did You Get Your First Greyhound?

Why did you get your first greyhound?

Grace is my first greyhound. I'd had a labrador many years ago but when she died due to work commitments, I didn't replace her.

For the last few years I have only worked part-time due to having Rheumatoid Arthritis and decided it was time to have the companionship of another dog.

I didn't want one that needed a lot of exercise due to my illness and looking down the list of possible candidates I ruled most of them out, either because a 6ft 2in, 240 lb man walking a lap dog would look silly, or because of their inherent health problems. Which left greyhounds at the top of the list :D

I've only had Grace for 16 weeks and wish I'd taken the decision to have a greyhound adopt me sooner.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) born 18 June 2014
Raced at Monmore Green, Wolverhampton UK - 68 Races, 9 wins, 5 second places
Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 

April, 1997. Because, why not. :lol

I missed my Singer Dog, a GSD, very much. I wanted another one, but knew I couldn't deal with the hair from a GSD, or from any long haired dog.

Kevin and I talked about a big dog, but we agreed it had to be a bald dog. Also it had to be cat and small dog safe.

I knew the local PetSmart had a greyhound group there on Saturday. We knew they were bald dogs.

We walked in, met Hilda's Dana, and signed the papers. A week later, Dancer came home.

We are on our 11th greyhound.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
So many right-winged Christians...so few lions.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

We had a variety of mixed breed dogs plus Dobies for several years. When our last Dobe passed away in January 2010, we said 'No More' as they just have too many health issues.

I have no idea what made me even think of Greyhounds, as they are not at all common here, but perhaps it was the fact that (like Dobies) they are short-haired, pointy nosed, long-legged thin dogs who don't like to be cold or wet :dunno

Our Vet had a Greyhound as a client and set up a meeting and I just fell in love :D

I did a ton of research, found a Group and the rest is history.

NSK-Winter.jpg.a6ea578c2e544932c5222b81cda3216d.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

Apart from when I was growing up on the farm (Border Collies and Spaniel) I've always had sighthounds (from the Mid 1980's). 2 Borzois, a Lurcher and then Greyhound.

Why a Grey? In the UK they seriously do still need to be adopted; and they suit my lifestyle which now involves walks up to 2 miles rather than longer hikes, and the Greyhound can do zoomies around the back garden to burn off energy. Shedding is minimal, and odor virtually unnoticeable unless one is stupid enough not to dry them off before coming in on a wet day. I'll need to think hard at my age about having another dog unless there is a sensible re-homing process should anything happen to me. It would be a different matter if family were proper dog people.

I was buying my first home and wanted a larger dog. This was 19 years ago when AOL was about the only game in town. I stumbled onto a "Your ideal dog" quiz. My top two came up Labrador and greyhound. Things were far different than they are today in greyhound adoption and I chose to think that I was saving a life..

When I moved from Chicago to Lubbock I stopped in Abilene KS and picked up my first grey Little Girl. Her racing owner had died and she and her sister were pretty much just thrown food. Maris on Frazier would have been well adjusted compared to her. I knew nothing about greyhounds but we taught each other.

Edited by Hubcitypam

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Back in the late 70s, when I was in college, there was a news report on one of the NY tv stations about someone abandoning a Fla greyhound farm leaving dogs to die in cages. I still remember the rescuer carrying this living bag of bones. An image that will never leave my mind. I told my mom standing next to me that when I get my own house I want get one of those dogs.(meaning breed, not the actual dogs in the story)

In 1993 I got my first house and in 1995 adopted my first greyhound. I did no breed research, didn't think of looking at any other breed. Just opened the phone book and found an adoption group.

Number 10 is sleeping on my arm as I type this.

I was terrified of dogs when I was a kid. Absolutely terrified. I'd hide from puppies. But I begged my parens for a dog (kid logic :lol). They researched breeds, found that greyhounds tend to be calm, patient, and good with kids. They visited an adoption group and did all the legwork before they mentioned anything about it to me. They had a big red boy on hold and when they took me to meet him, I was a short, scrawny 7 year old with strep throat. He trotted right up to me, calmly, through the pack of other hounds who were bouncing with excitement, stuck his nose on my shirt (left a noseprint :beatheart ), and stood next to me the entire time we were there, a quiet, stoic barrier between the nervous child and the other hounds. My parents might have picked him out, but he adopted me.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

After many years of being dogless, I decided it was time to rescue/adopt a dog. I researched various breeds and looked at mixed breeds available at our local shelters. The Greyhound seemed the perfect match for me; a large dog with low/medium energy that did not require professional grooming. I adopted my first Greyhound, Wendy, in 2006. She was my heart and soul for almost twelve years. When she passed, I knew I could not live without a Greyhound on my couch. Now, I share my life with Lola who's been home for a year now. I cannot imagine life without a Greyhound on my couch!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

As a child, I saw my first greyhound being walked down my parent's neighborhood street. I was in awe of the "tiger" dog and asked her owner probably a million questions. The owner was an extremely friendly older woman and was thrilled that I was so interested. Ever since, I admired sight hounds but was never allowed a dog while living at home with my parents. In my area, we have a county fair and every year there was a booth set up with retired racing greyhounds, educating the public to how to adopt a retired racer and how suitable they are to be pets. Every year I went back just to see the greyhounds.

It turns out, my husband had a similar experience with meeting the greyhounds at the fair and even when we were just dating, we dreamed of having a dog. We knew it would be a greyhound. We are active people, enjoying hiking, biking, and kayaking. But when we get home from work, we didn't want a dog who constantly would drop a tennis ball in our laps and be miserable without a lot of exercise. We knew we wanted a stoic, but happy/friendly dog who would want to play/walk/hike when we had the time, but would be living their best life even if we stayed in for the night.

Our Nettie is a dream come true. She turned two in April, so does have puppy energy to play, but she LOVES hiking and walks and that always does the trick. We never feel like we have to run her around which is especially helpful since we live in a tiny apartment. Nettie is queen of the couch but shares with us willingly for snuggles. She has made us laugh harder than ever with her antics and zoomies. She is a perfect fit for us and we are so blessed we had a wonderful adoption group (yes, the one from the fair!) pair her with us. We are itchy to buy a house with a yard for her, and adopt a sibling for her to keep company while we are at work. She impresses everyone she meets with how calm and elegant she is and we love how with the snap of a finger, turns into a wiggly noodle. She adjusts herself to the situation we are in and I feel is a wonderful ambassador for her breed. Now I have become the woman ecstatic when people ask me about greyhounds. It is always a pleasure to introduce anyone willing to listen to the breed.

I used to work someplace that was in the middle of a park. Every day a guy would walk past with his german shepherd and greyhound (around 1995). Every day I would run outside to see them. At the time there was a lot of publicity about how they were being thrown away after racing. I ended up buying a house so I could have one. three greyhounds and two galgos later, I'm still around.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

I love reading these!

I grew up in an animal-crazy family (in JohnF's words, a "proper dog" family. But when I was a young adult, I didn't have much money, moved around a lot, and always rented apartments which made having cats much easier than having dogs. Then I moved to a town near a large greyhound adoption program. I will always remember seeing my first greyhound in the flesh. Literally breathtaking. Then I met some friends who had 2 greyhounds. The hounds were goofy and friendly. The humans were crafty -- "Just come out to the kennel with us on playgroup Saturday. Just to have fun watching the dogs." Right after I moved into a rental with a yard, I learned about a family who needed to rehome their hound but were keeping her at their house to instead of returning her to the adoption kennel. The adoption program would screen potential adopters and send them up to see and be seen. And that's how we hooked up -- me and the wonderful, magical, superhound Eve.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

My family had always gotten dogs from the Cleveland APL, two when I was growing up owned by my parents, then my first dog. But actually I am allergic to dogs, so when my Pennydog passed in Feb 2013 I figured I should not get another one. But within a couple months I was looking into the so-called hypoallergenic curly-haired dogs, but they always actually seemed to trigger allergies. Seemed like the best advice was a small short-haired dog, was thinking of a short-haired chihuahua, but did not really want a small dog. Heard that greyhounds are sometimes good for dog-allergic people, so checked that out and found they did not seem to trigger my allergies, and the larger dog was easier to interact with. Adopted Logan in May 2013, and he is still here :-)

Interestingly, while Logan has never triggered my allergies at all, when I got Max in September 2014 I found that he did slightly trigger them, not too bad but definitely some effect whenever I spent some time petting him. I think the difference is that Max had more of an undercoat, while Logan has virtually no undercoat. So if I ever adopt another greyhound that will be one thing I look for - no undercoat at all, or as close as possible.

Rob
Logan - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (Aug. 4, 2004 - Jan. 11, 2018)

I grew up with dogs--beagles, weimeraner, golden retriever. I was a K9 handler for around 5 years, my Lab retired from service when I switched jobs. I had her for 9 years as a pet, until August 2015. I originally said, "no more dogs", but then my house just felt empty (even with my then four cats). I looked into getting a small dog, as I don't have the energy for a puppy or a young large breed. I thought about Iggies, but the more I saw about greys, the more I liked. Calm, suited for apartments, low shed (LOL).

I got Johnny October 2015. I can't say it's been the easiest of relationships, but we have learned and grown with each other. He makes me laugh every day, and gets me off my duff out of the house. Greyhound events and greyhound (and galgo!) people are the best.

Me & John Reese (Gable Dodge x O Jays) and the 4 kittehs!

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I downsized. I'd had four Great Danes over 29 years and between my advancing age and the last Dane being too much of a handful for me, I decided I needed to downsize and adopt something a bit smaller. A gal at work and her husband were heads of the local greyhound rescue/adoption group at the racetrack, so I became interested in greyhounds. I'm on my second greyhound now, she's almost 11, but sadly when the time comes, the next adoptee will have to be an even smaller dog. I'm just too darn old for the larger breeds. I will adopt a senior dog when the time comes, perhaps a small beagle...

My husband and I had had Great Danes our entire life together. When we lost our last one, we decided we needed to be dog free for a while. We only lasted 3 months before we needed a dog in our lives again. Greyhounds had been on my radar because the local track (since shut down) advertized to come and Meet a Retired Racer one Saturday each month, and my family had gone to the races many times when I was a teen and young adult.

Husband wasn't all that keen. Greyhounds were skinny and had weird pointy noses, and looked weird, and were just weird. :lol:lol:lol But I finally persuaded him to go out to meet the dogs - just *meet* them! Of course, he fell in love at first sight and we left with our names on a list to bring home our first greyhound, Libby.

That was in 2003. We recently adopted our 2nd puppy and greyhound #10.

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

We had a couple of dogs when I was a kid, but as an adult I have always been more of a cat person. I like their low energy and independent nature (yes, I know there are plenty of exceptions :lol ) When I got a place with a small yard I started thinking I wanted a dog, but not a slobbery, in your face, needy dog. I happened to see the greyhound people at the local Renaissance Faire and knew I had found my dog. I had to wait a few years as I had found a stray rabbit, then after he passed a friend found another rabbit and she ended up with me, but after the second rabbit passed and I had moved to a place with a large fenced back yard (with dog intentions) I got my first grey.

I opted for an older broodie who was cat safe and needed a fenced yard, and was hooked! Ive had a total of seven in the last fifteen years. I tend to adopt the older dogs, often bounces, so I dont have them as long, but as far as I am concerned, the seniors are the best! I have always preferred having at least two dogs, or cats, keep each other company while I was at work, but now that I am retired, I keep trying to downsize to one dog. Hasnt worked so far :rolleyes:

Edited by Remolacha

I met a couple greyhounds when I was about 10-12 years old and always remembered those quiet, beautiful dogs with the fancy collars. I grew up with terriers but I was always attracted to the elegant shape of sighthounds. When I was finally at a place in my life where I could have a dog I knew I wanted something big, no grooming requirements, no crazy amount of exercise needed, and would be OK sleeping the day away when I was at work. I was thrilled to find that greyhounds fit the bill perfectly. Lila is my first, but she won’t be my last.

Holiday-siggy.jpg
Jerilyn, devoted Mistress to Lila (Good Looking)

I saw my first greyhound at Dubuque track back in 1986 and said "one day I will have a tiger-striped greyhound". In 1990 I bought my first house (with my ex) and got my first dog (I grew up with only cats, am SEVERELY allergic to them -- been hospitalized 3 times from near-death asthma attacks... and was terrified I could never have a pet...)- a 8 week old yellow lab I named Chester (the Molester). Divorced in 1995, met Bruce with his little schipperke Captain (and Chester's new best friend), got a stray GS pointer in 1999 we named Remy ....and still always wanted my tiger-striped greyhound but 3 dogs was enough for us.

fast forward to 2005. We had to let Remy go on January 4th, 2005 :( then on May 3rd, 2005, we let Chester run free, just shy of his 15th birthday (and he was an 85# lab!).

On May 28th, 2005, my sweet Rainey (LG's Rainey) came into our lives. We had to get a small dog/cat friendly pup since our Captain was just 15 lbs. He was suffering greatly from losing his best buddy Chester a few weeks before. The next morning, my aunt Bobbe, the sweetest lady ever, passed away. We didn't know, but Captain was suffering from a brain tumor as well. On June 7th, my wonderful mom left us, and 6 days later, we had to let Captain be with his best bud Chester. :(

Rainey was a bounce, and while not perfect -- she had a penchant for eating/destroying things every few months, several of which landed her at the vet/Evet.... she was perfect for us. Not a tiger-striped, but white and fawn. My little Rainey Girl. There was not a sweeter girl EVER. She sucked us in introduced us to the wonderful world of greyhounds and our lives would change forever. :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2 And with all the heartache I had in the first half of 2005, I don't think I could have gotten through it without her.

then, after months of begging for another dog, Bruce finally gave in and Mr. Nube (RJ's Saint Nick) came to be our boy on November 23, 2005. He and Rainey got along great. Oh, and Nube was black (thus why I renamed him "Anubis") :)

we had to let Rainey go on March 8th, 2011 -- one of the saddest days of my life. :cry1 :cry1 but sweet Larry (PTL Laroach) came to be Nube's new buddy on June 11, 2011. He is white with a some tiger-striped patches.

We lost Nube to osteo on September 12, 2012. He was my baby boy -- he was a special, special boy. :cry1

but on January 4th, 2013, we welcomed our CRAZY blue boy Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It) to be Larry's new buddy. He turned (and keeps turning!) Larry into a puppy.

SOOOO. Tiger-striped greyhound since 1986. NOPE. Not yet :) Maybe someday. :D :D :D

I love my dogs more than anything in the world and they have made me whole. And hopefully, a better person because of them.

Kim, Bruce, Larry (PTL LaRoach) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It) - missing my sweet Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011) and Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Chester (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

December 1995. Earlier in the year I had read an article in a magazine about greyhounds. I thought "They're just so pointy".

I grew up in a town that neighbored a City with a track. It ran it's cards on Tuesdays, I think. As a kid, I can remember driving by the track and seeing the neon outlined greyhounds lit up, with their legs animated by the neon flickering back and forth like a running motion.

After reading the article it nagged in the back of my brain. Well, around rolled November of 1995. Got married, moved into a new place and learned to live with another human sharing my space.

So, what do you do? Add more to the equation...let's get a dog. Not just any dog, a greyhound.

So, off I went to the library. Found GPA national and called asked if their was a chapter in my area. There was. Called them, they mailed an application. I mailed it back.

December rolled around, they called, came and did a home visit. A week later, Chip came to live with us.

We had 6 wonderful years together and he was the start of what would be 9 adoptions and many fosters and a temporary resident.

Edited by DofSweetPotatos

I saw that terrible report about the starving dogs too. It haunted me for years. Ironically, we were living in Florida, but the timing just wasn't right. There were so many dogs that we rescued (working at a vet, it was an occupational hazard), that we always had 3-5 dogs. But Greyhounds were always in the back of my mind. I was drawn to them like I'd never been drawn to another breed. I'd met 3 Greyhound puppies in person when I worked for an animal shelter in the late 70's. A guy pulled up in front of the shelter, opened his TRUNK, and there were 3 of the most stunningly beautiful dogs I'd ever seen. They were only about 4-5 months old (yes, all in his trunk), and they looked like young deer. They took my breath away, and I was instantly totally in love. I desperately wanted one, but already had 3 dogs by myself in a third floor apartment. In retrospect, it's probably good that I didn't start my Greyhound ownership with one of those little land sharks. :lol

Then right after we moved back to Pittsburgh in 1990, I saw an article in the paper about Going Home Greyhounds, our local adoption group. I thought, this is it, this is what I've been waiting for. We started fostering, so I could convince Doug that Greyhounds were the dogs for us. He fell in love too, and pretty soon, not surprisingly, we failed fostering, with Lacey, who was 9 years old. We were totally hooked. So since 1990, we have adopted 9 Greyhounds, and had 70 foster dogs. In May, it was the end of an era. We lost our Calvin, the last of our ex-racers. My heart now belongs to my 3 Galgo girls, and I feel like I'm too old to adopt another Grey. And that makes me so sad.....

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina, Kiva and Laila, and kitty Simon
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, and kitties Lily and Sam
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I grew up with dogs, mostly bird dogs (Vizlas, weimaraners, German shorthair pointers) that my granddad and uncles trained as gun dogs.

When DH and I started traveling less for work, we knew we wanted to adopt. We were just going to go to the local shelter but a friend of my dad's is involved in greyhound adoption and suggested we look at the breed. Living in a 600 sq ft Manhattan apartment, we never thought of a greyhound but Bella turned out to be the best decision we made - she adapted beautifully to living in the city and has now embraced suburban living.

Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I had dogs most of my life - German Shepherds mostly. Then, it was 1995 or so. I was at a local mall one weekend and saw a greyhound meet & greet. I was drawn to the dogs they had there and went over and talked with the people and met each of the dogs. At the time my husband and I had a mixed breed dog that didn't get along with other dogs so I couldn't adopt one at that time. So for the next few years I researched greyhounds every way I could, read everything I could find, and watched the schedule for the mall and every time the adoption group was there I went and spoke with them and spent time with the dogs. When our mixed breed passed away at age 14, we thought we'd wait a bit before getting another dog. We lasted a few months. Off we went to a local adoption group. After two hours of me going up to every dog in the kennel and trying to decide which would fit best with us, my husband finally said, "Would you please just pick one??". We came home with Toby. He had been returned from a home (no fault of his own) so the adoption group thought he'd be a good fit for me for our first greyhound - he was used to being alone while people worked, he was housebroken, and was okay with cats (we had a cat back then.) He was perfect for us. After 6 months we decided he needed company so we adopted Sarah, an 8 year old return. The rest is history. I now have Lucas (who is blind from PRA) and Sox. They are number 8 and 9.

first greyhound for my 50th birthday- seems like light years ago......WAIT- it was! :jaw

never had dogs when i was a kid- lived in a no dog apt. but had salukis in the 70-80s, terriers in the 90s-2006, wanted a GH since the 80s finally got one in 2002, whippet 2018(also wanted one since the 80s).

Edited by cleptogrey

All we had were cats. I always wanted a dog and did a lot of research on which type of dog would suite our lifestyle and busy schedules. My wife did not want to bring a dog into the house with our cat - so I told her when the time comes I would like to get a dog. When our last cat passed last year I waited a month then I went and picked up Marty from our local track. One of the best decisions I ever when it comes to major life change (it's a major life change going from living with a cat to a 75 lb dog!). I wish I had done it years earlier! Marty is the best dog ever!!!

For our first dog, DH and I wanted to adopt not buy, didn't want a puppy, and needed an apartment friendly dog. I don't know how google got me greyhound from that, but I started reading more about greyhounds and came home with Patrick a few months later.

Beth, Henry, and Peter (Petey). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), and Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020) you were loved more than you can know.