Said Goodbye To Blue Today

schnookums

I don't know quite what to say. Our little (big) boy was 12 and 8months. He has led a good life. Booee had arthritis in his back end. His muscle tone had deteriorated. He had a lot trouble getting up and down, used his front legs to pull himself up. To make things worse he had an accident running up to a fence, doing the splits and injuring his cruciate last December. Boo had tummy troubles so pain and inflammation relief left him in pain. I decided against anything which would make him wobbly, because of his instability. We put our bed on the ground for him. He became more wobbly, and crouched quite low in the back end when standing.

Some days were good for him, and some not as good. He loved his food, little walks, hellos and toilet stops. Two weeks ago he was quite flat, and sick. I considered euthanasia then.

We started him on low dose doxycycline for inflammation, which he had been on for a week. I think he improved. Don't know if he was sick from respiratory issues or arthritis pain. Blue was uncomfortable, especially at night. Sometimes he would have bouts of panting, and always woke me for a midnight snack. He had trouble standing up.

Thursday night he did the splits trying to stand up. He managed to drag himself up. I wonder how many times this has happened that I haven't seen. He is alone all day. He lost the girls last year.

Last night Blue was flat when I got home from work. Went for a little walk, but he had pain.

That was when we decided it was time to say goodbye. Rang our Vet for a home visit, and organised a front end loader for a grave.

But damn! this morning he was bright as a button. A little wobbly but fairly sturdy. He came for a walk, had a bark, ate horse pooh, paced around the paddock and came inside with a toy.

He ate breakfast and treats. Had a little play with me with his toy. His eyes were shiny and he was alert.

My heart screamed out

I had already cancelled a visit 10 days ago.

But we didn't cancel this time. I felt sick to the core.

He ate a rasher of bacon, and demanded more with enthusiastic barking and a big wet nose.

His passing was gentle, on his bed in front of the fire, with the people he loved.

And now I am travelling the regret trail.

I think all of us here subscribe to " A day too early is better than a day too late." That doesn't make this any easier, but you should never regret freeing your boy from pain.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Run pain-free, Blue. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I remember my very first dog was very poorly in the way you describe Blue. On his last day it was as if he took all his life energy left to live it up to the fullest. The next day (the day we had scheduled euthanasia with his vet) he broke down completely.

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beautiful companion. Run free, Blue.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Please be glad that his last day with you was a really good day for him. What a great way to spend your last day with your people, enjoying bacon, horse pooh and treats, so much better than struggling to get up and probably in pain.

A similar thing happened with our Rolo, the vet was booked to come at the end of the morning so we took all three whippets out for a walk in the forest and for the first time in ages Rolo went running off after a squirrel and when it was time to go home he was the last of them to come back to the car, trotting along at his own pace. That is the picture I treasure in my mind, him doing his own thing out in the sunshine, deciding when his walk was finished! You have equally happy memories to hold on to, tomorrow he could so easily have been much worse and you would be filled with regret.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Respect. You did the right thing at the right time and he helped you too by having that last better day so that you could say goodbye while he wasn't in too much pain.

Better a day too soon..... always the right choice to let them run free of pain again.

:bighug:gh_run

So sorry for your loss. Blue had a beautiful life and a wonderful last day. He is thanking you for your wisdom to set him free.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I am so sorry for your loss and wish you peace with your decision. It is so hard. Rest well, Blue.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

You gave your boy a beautiful life and a timely, dignified death. Peace to your aching heart. Run with the angels, sweet Blue.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'm so very sorry.

If it's any consolation, I've had exactly the same thing happen. More than once. I tell myself that at least the dog went out on a good day and would not have to endure any more awful days.

Godspeed Blue.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

There is never a right time. We love them, and we want them never to get sick or old and frail. We want them with us forever. But we can't have that, and so if our pet is lucky, we do what we have to do. We take any suffering from them and put it on us.

Blue died happy. And your grief keeps him closer to you a little longer.

:grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I’m so very sorry. You saved him from having to experience more bad days. You gave him a huge gift.

Run free, Blue.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Blue wanted you to remember him as that bright as a button boy he gave you on his last day. Not the opposite. What a gift that was. As hard as it is, you made the right call. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed Blue.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I too so understand how you're feeling! Your situation sounds very similar to ours when we put Calvin to sleep in May. He had all those problems with mobility and getting up too. And of course, when we made the hard decision to have the vet come to the house, he got right up to greet her! :weep Yes, twisted that knife in our hearts. But we knew, that while there might be a few ups and downs, he wasn't going to get better. Like your sweet boy, he had a lot of bacon for breakfast. Knowing how peaceful his passing was, I can say that Blue was blessed to have spent the day at home, eating good food, and being with the people he loved, right till the end. They live in the moment, you know, with no thoughts of sadness to come, and you gave him that most loving last gift.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Blue.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm so sorry for the loss of your special boy.

Godspeed, sweetest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So very sorry for the loss of your special boy.

As others have already said ... he had a wonderful last day and you set him free.

Keep the memories. Remember them and smile....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My heart is breaking for you. Just savor the last day that you had with him and know that he was happy and enjoyed it to the fullest. Sending :grouphug

Run Free Blue!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.