Grace's Poor Paw

HeyRunDog

For those of you who have read my post in the Introductions and Biography section and for those that haven't I thought I'd give you a bit more detail on Grace's poor paw.

Unbeknown to everyone Grace had very small pieces of grit between the toes of one of her front feet from her racing days which only showed up as an abscess about 4 weeks after I had adopted her. The first operation was to lance drain and clean the abscess which was OK for about a week before it flared up again.This time the vet x-rayed her paw and found 5 very small pieces of grit embedded in her foot which he removed and x=rayed again to make sure it had all been removed.

At her third post op checkup 3 weeks later the vet still wasn't happy and the decision was made to remove the webbing between her toes where the problem was and to remove a corn at the same time whilst she was anesthetised.

That was nearly three weeks ago. Grace has been excellent throughout and even received 2 bravery certificates signed by all the staff at the vets.She didn't lick or chew her bandages which were removed last week. Her paw is healing well and I just have to stop her licking it which she tends to do when she thinks I'm not looking. Unfortunately for her she has a noisy tongue and a quick NO stops her in her tracks and I get the look saying "what?"

When she's on her own or going outside I tape an old sock then tie a very fashionable poo bag over her paw. I've done it that often she's now lifting her foot up ready.

I'm now keeping my fingers crossed that Grace will have no more problems for her, mine and my bank balance's sake.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Love the poo-bag paw protector! :hehe Be well, sweet Grace.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Use her plastic basket muzzle with either a stool guard cup or some duct tape covering the holes to keep her from licking when you can't supervise her.

And just be aware, her corn may come back. Surgical removal is very rarely curative for corns. If you're on Facebook you can ask to join the closed group "Greyhounds With Corns" for lots of support and advice.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Use her plastic basket muzzle with either a stool guard cup or some duct tape covering the holes to keep her from licking when you can't supervise her.

And just be aware, her corn may come back. Surgical removal is very rarely curative for corns. If you're on Facebook you can ask to join the closed group "Greyhounds With Corns" for lots of support and advice.

Thanks for the tip on using a muzzle.

Yes I realise her corn might come back but the vet and I thought it was worth having a go as she was already under general anesthetic and she was operating on that toe already. What was surprising was Grace had a small piece of grit embedded in the corn as well.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Grace sounds like a gem and she has obviously landed in the best home ever.

:goodluck with the corn

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Grace sounds like a gem and she has obviously landed in the best home ever.

:goodluck with the corn

She's definitely a gem. You choose a greyhound at the re-homing kennels, who've had her straight from the trainer 2 weeks previous, and start to read the forums about spooks, separation anxiety, peeing and pooping inside the house etc, and you wonder what you've let yourself in for.

Then I get Grace home and wonder why I was ever worried. She was house trained from the start, never chews anything or rips anything up. She's not frightened of washing machines or vacuum cleaners and after a bit of freezing to start with she's excellent to walk on the lead. The only thing that really spooks her is noisy children.

In my eyes she's just about perfect. But I bet most owners think the same about the greyhounds that have adopted them.