Fda Alert Flea/tick

MaryJane

Ugh. I gave my guys Bravecto earlier this month. Luckily they're both fine.

thanks for this update.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Great. I just gave my guys Simparica yesterday. :rolleyes

Fortunately, no issues yet.

But what does that leave for flea/tick txs?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for sharing this.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Logan gets Credelio now, was on Simparica previously. No ill effects that I have seen. Frontline Plus stopped working so that is out, he was then switched to Comfortis briefly, which took care of the flea infestation. But for some reason vet switched to Simpicarica then to Credelio, both of which have been working as far as I can tell (no fleas/ticks anyway). my thinking is to stick with the Credelio unless my vet advises otherwise.

Any thoughts on what might be a suggested alternative med, since the FDA alert seems to include most of the current flea/tick meds? Is Comfortis still available?

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE: before you use a topical flea/tick product, whether it is a liquid "spot-on" like Frontline or a collar like Seresto, do your research (online, not just your vet's opinion). I've learned this season that the fleas & ticks in certain areas of the USA have developed a resistance to Frontline & the active ingredients. Plus our various Greys over the years do not tolerate either very well, causing immediate & ongoing irritation at the site of a liquid pesticide (Frontline), as well as lethargy & behavior changes with the use of Seresto collars. If your Grey has ANY kind of neurological disturbances, explained or non-diagnosed, do NOT use the Seresto collars (speaking from experience). As an alternative, this year we tried spraying cedarwood oil in our backyard ( https://www.cedarcide.com)& applied an all-natural spray ( https://kin-kind.com/collections/flea-tick) on our 2 Grey Girls. Result: no ticks or fleas this season!! I'm not an "all natural" fanatic for our K9's, but this worked & no harmful chemicals!!

It's worth remembering that any chemical, drug or medication can have side effects that only effect a small number of animals or humans but the majority will be OK and by going to an alternative when the one your using now works and has had no side effects might have a different problem.

To quote a line from the document:

"The FDA carefully reviewed studies and other data on Bravecto, Credelio, Nexgard and Simparica prior to approval, and these products continue to be safe and effective for the majority of animals."

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

My little girl has epilepsy and my vet said that we could not use any of those products, which I never have. I guess I'm lucky that Frontline Plus still works for my three.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

We haven't had any issues in several years of using Nexguard. I think the info to take away is that, as HeyRunDog points out, a given medication can have side effects for a given dog. It's something to be aware of, not panic about.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

PLEASE: before you use a topical flea/tick product, whether it is a liquid "spot-on" like Frontline or a collar like Seresto, do your research (online, not just your vet's opinion). I've learned this season that the fleas & ticks in certain areas of the USA have developed a resistance to Frontline & the active ingredients. Plus our various Greys over the years do not tolerate either very well, causing immediate & ongoing irritation at the site of a liquid pesticide (Frontline), as well as lethargy & behavior changes with the use of Seresto collars. If your Grey has ANY kind of neurological disturbances, explained or non-diagnosed, do NOT use the Seresto collars (speaking from experience). As an alternative, this year we tried spraying cedarwood oil in our backyard ( https://www.cedarcide.com)& applied an all-natural spray ( https://kin-kind.com/collections/flea-tick) on our 2 Grey Girls. Result: no ticks or fleas this season!! I'm not an "all natural" fanatic for our K9's, but this worked & no harmful chemicals!!

Good to know about the alternatives as my youngest ate his seresto collar when it got off...luckily no reaction to that. Eden is quite a stinker at times. I'm still using the seresto collars, but in case it doesn't work anymore here in RGV, then it's good to know of other methods.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Seresto collars aren't available here in Canada or it would be my option, so for now Bravecto is it. I much prefer something topical instead of being ingested, but UGH. This news sucks though.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015