Soft Tissue Osteosarcoma - Experience?

seeh2o

Does anyone here have experience with soft tissue osteo? The vaccine has kept Bowie's lungs clear, but she has two nodules. They were actually shrinking (she was on Doxy for a skin condition and Rimadyl for anti-cancer properties) until the vet at the center where she gets her vaccine (not her regular oncologist there) had me take her off of both of them. We had kept her on the Doxy after her skin condition cleared up because of its anti metastatic properties, but the vet was concerned about her blood work and urine indicating she may be developing kidney problems. After she came off of both of those the nodules have doubled in size. ARGHHHH...

Well, she had a booster of the vaccine last week and her blood work was good. so her regular oncologist at the site put her back on both starting today, though at 50mg of Rimadyl instead of 100mg per day.

We were looking at electrochemotherapy to reduce the nodules, but I've heard conflicting outcomes with it. Her vaccine oncologist was thinking focused radiation on them. He was supposed to be researching over the weekend, but I haven't heard back from him yet. He was hesitant to put her on something systemic because the vaccine really seems to be holding the lung mets at bay.

In the meantime, Bowie has no idea any of this is going on and she is as happy as a clam. Running round, playing, bright eyes, big smile, and sleeping on her back. God, I love this girl

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

No help, just {{{hugs}}}

Have you done FNAs on the nodules to determine what kind of cancer they are, if they are cancer at all? I've never heard of soft tissue osteo. :dunno

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

They are a rare form of osteosarcoma metastasis. There was an FNA, it's osteo. Clear lungs, but now these stupid soft tissue mets. It's also called extraskeletal osteosarcoma. Evil cancer.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

My boy had intramuscular hemangiosarcoma - I'm not even sure if this is even close but could be? His was also apparently rare and I can attest to it being nasty and aggresive. Bowie's sounds aggressive considering how quickly they grew.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Have you spoken to a radiation oncologist?

Her osteo vaccine oncologist and I have been going back and forth. His thoughts are: do CT scan to determine if there are more we can't see (he doesn't think there are), radiation (but he thinks that is a long shot), he thinks that the vaccine may stop their growth eventually. If it doesn't, he is thinking chemo, but I don't think he really wants to do systemic chemo. His experience with electrochemotherapy (which they do at his hospital) leaves him feeling unimpressed. He has been in touch with the people from the study, too, they feel tradition is a long shot as well. He really wants to target just the nodules, not do anything to interfere with the vaccine. She's off the study now, so that isn't a complication factor. Edited by seeh2o

Have you spoken to a radiation oncologist?

This is a good suggestion. The one I worked with for Zuri was fantastic. The oncologist you are working with may be able to consult directly with one.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."