What To Expect Post Amputation

labcoat22

So our second Grey Stella has been diagnosed With a tumor in her hind leg. We are going in for a Oncology consult On Monday We will likely go in for surgery the same day.

I am consulting with Dr Couto but the Oncology center we are going to is staffed with one of Dr Coutos former Students.

So my Question is what should I expect after Stella comes home post Amp.

how long until she can get up and around,

will she have trouble going potty with 3 legs?

Can tri paws do stairs?

what supplies should I have on hand pee pads helper harness any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Dino and Stella

See here: https://minnesotagreyhounds.wordpress.com/what-to-expect-with-a-leg-amputation/

Also see the long-running Greytalk Osteo Thread, which has slipped off the first page but is located here: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/318606-osteo-thread-part-9/

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It depends a lot on the dog, obviously, but generally the first two weeks are the worst. After that things will really be mostly "normal."

We actually paid for several extra hospital days (our boy was very comfortable there and well cared for) until he was able to get up and around on his own. That way, the staff and techs could professionally help and watch him, and we were sure he was able to potty and eating well. He was there about 4 days post surgery. We had a Ruffwear Webmaster Harness for him to wear and it worked perfectly.

https://ruffwear.com/products/web-master-harness

He ended back in the hospital a week or so later with an infection at his incision, but that's really common, and there's some evidence to suggest that a post-surgery infection increases the overall length of survivability for them.

Back leg amps have it a bit easier than front leg amps. Greyhounds carry most of their bodyweight over their front half, so it takes more energy for front leg amps to move around. But back leg amps get up and going fairly easily. Our boy was running (actually running) around within a few days of coming home. And despite my heart being in my throat every time, he eventually taught himself to go up and down the stairs too. He was basically the same dog he was before, just with three legs.

Make sure you take a week or so off to be with him, or have someone come and sit with your dog if you need to work those first two weeks. They need medications on a strict schedule, and often can be restless or have trouble settling due to pain (phanotm and real). You should set up a contained space someplace in your house that's easy for the dog to get outside, and for someone to monitor them. We did end up sleeping downstairs in shifts with our boy for a while.

You should talk with your oncologist to see if your dog is eligible for any of the various cancer vaccine trials. Also contact the Greyhound Health Initiative regarding getting free chemo treatments.

https://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/

There is also a TON of information and support here at Tripawds.com. And there are many many links to info in the first post of the current Osteo Thread here on GT linked above. You can post questions or concerns there and those of us who have gone through this will be able to help.

https://tripawds.com/

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've been through amputations twice - once a front and once a back leg.

Prepare that the first 2 weeks are going to be hell and then once you think you have made the worst mistake in your life, your greyhound will turn the corner and not look back. During the first 2 weeks, they have to get used to their "new normal" and it is a bit strange as your dog might just stand there not really knowing how to move. This is where a sling comes in really handy - you can use this to help your dog get up and to get them moving. It also helps to get your dog outside and back in and help them "learn" how to hop. Once I got my dogs outside, they would be able to hop around a bit to pee and poop but, they would get tired. At that point, I would sling them up again and help them into the house. The meds can make them more anxious and because of that, you might need to sleep right next to your dog for the first week (maybe two).

It's really important that you cover all the wood and tile floors with non-skid rugs. As your dog will be hoping, you don't want them to slip on an uncovered floor and possibly break a leg.

Neither of my dogs needed help at home getting up from their beds after the surgery but, they did appreciate the harness (mine was fleece-lined). My first greyhound stayed in hospital for 2 nights, the second for 4 nights but that was only because we were having trouble getting Amicar in pill form, so he stayed in hospital to get the IV one.

My second one had some serious issues with over-temperature - this was not during the surgery, rather it was from anxiousness after he was coming out from any anesthesia. It also started happening with his visits to the vet where he would get too anxious so, we started to give him gabapentin to "chill him out".

It's really important that you get the Amicar which I'm sure is part of the information that you are getting from Dr. Couto.

Yes, the first two weeks are hell. You'll doubt yourself so many times wondering if you made the right decision.

Then one day you will see her tearing around the yard with a big stinkin' grin on her face and you'll know you did right.

They can do stairs, but help them in the beginning because they'll forget they're missing a leg and take the stairs as if nothing happened.

In fact once they start feeling better they'll go about as if nothing happened. This is when you have to put you foot down and slow them down.

I've had 2 front amps.

Good luck.

Thank you everyone helper harness found and order on Amazon to be here Monday. It looks like the rough gear one but has more padding on the chest and straps.

I am already have a hard time keeping Stella from running enen on three legs when she gets excited.

Runners are up for our hardwood through the kitchen. My DW is going to try to work from home for the first week and we are setting up a x pen in the family room were i will sleep with her.

I am thinking i might set up the second x pen in our fron living room so she can see and be seen fron the home office. That room also gets good sun and both hounds like to lay in there during the day.

I am trying to prepare myself for this but as you can imagine I am just a 6ft tall 200lb blubber bald man. But not around the kids or dogs.

Thank you all i will keep you updated as things progress.

Ryan

Dino and Stella

There is another bone cancer FB group that you might want to be aware of. It is not breed specific and much good information on how people have done with conventional medicine (amputation, chemo) along with alternative methods (be careful - some strange ideas out there). There is also some people trying the new vaccine so hopefully, they will be sharing with that group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/165114730179168/

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i have been busy and tired so the updates have slipped.

Stella is doing great the procedure was completely 7 days ago. She was up latet that night. And came hime the next day at lunchtime.

First few days were rough but she insists to going out to potty and insisted on going on a few short walks over the the first few days following the procedure. 2 days after the procedure she insisted on going out and laying in tye back yarf sunny spot.

She is eating well at meal time again but she now gets 1 cup of dry food and 1/3 of a can of can food.

I have not decided if we will changer her diet long term or not.

Yesterday when thunder storms rolled through the mid Atlantic she was trying to do our staircase to get to our bedroom her prefered location for storms. I carried her up and she let me. But wanted to come back down shortly after when DW came home from work.

She can manage the 3 steps out froun and 2 steps out back and refused to use the ramp for ether front our back steps.

Her procedure sight looks good and we had to go to using a muzzle with stool guard to keep her from licking it as she can easily get the cone of shape off.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Dino and Stella

• 2 weeks later...

That is excellent! These pups rebound incredibly from such a major surgery, it will surprise you. I hope to read further good updates on your girl.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 1 month later...

So STella is doing great everything is like before except stairs. full three legged zommies in the back yard, chasing squirrels even jumping into the van not doing that well but she gets in the van. SHe is two Chemo treatments in and she is tolerating the Carboplatin well.

Dino and Stella

Ryan, I am glad to hear that Stella is doing so well. Our girl Beka just had a front leg amp last week, so we are going through that difficult period and it IS really difficult for her and for us. It is so encouraging to hear how well Stella is doing and encouraging to hear she is doing well on her chemo (that is the medication that Beka will be on too after her staples come out). Looking forward to more happy updates from you!

Kathy

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Hi Kathy,

Thought I'd chime in. We watched Stella and Dino over Thanksgiving and Stella is doing fantastic! She gets around on three legs just as she did with four, and was even doing zoomies and chasing our two boys around the yard like she's loved to do in the past. You wouldn't know she's missing a leg if you didn't see it! I hope you Beka is up and running around soon herself.

Thank you so much for the encouraging message. It is really good to hear. I am (very) anxiously waiting for that day with Beka!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.