Feeding Ideas And Training Treats

Guest Nephofthewoods

Guest Nephofthewoods

Thinking Im most likely going to get a big (70 pound boy) would it be ok if I fed it three cups of food with as many training treats as I need for a session? I dont want them to get fat but there might be a lot of treats in the beginning of training.

That would be about three cups total, so you would be feeding 1-1/2 in the morning and evening. I put about a tablespoon of wet food into the mix, too.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Nephofthewoods

That would be about three cups total, so you would be feeding 1-1/2 in the morning and evening. I put about a tablespoon of feed food into the mix, too.

What’s feed food?

Each dog is different. Start by feeding the same food and the same amount the dog (he or she) is getting in the kennel or their foster home, and adjust from there. If you're giving more than a handful of small (1/4 inch) treats a day, you *may* need to reduce the amount of his/her meals.

Just be aware the s/He may not be very into food or treats for the first several weeks in your home. You may also find training counterproductive during that time frame. Once s/he is comfortable and settled, and eating well, you can begin to ramp up the training.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Depends on the food (calories etc) and amount of exercise. Possibly on age of hound too.

For example, my 80lbs 6 y/o male who was free running daily and fit enough to do a 3 mile hike was eating 4 cups of dry food daily plus no limit on treats used for training. Now that we don't live on a farm and he gets mainly leashed walks, he gets closer to 3 1/2 cups daily.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

Yes, that would be light activity unless you're a power walker for several miles at a time.

Once you start training -- treats can be very tiny. You can break up a larger treat into pieces, broil hot dog sliced rounds and cut them into 4ths, or buy a small treat specifically made for training -- Zuke's mini-treats, for example.

As you get familiar with your dog, you'll figure out by how it looks whether you're giving enough/too much food.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Nephofthewoods

Yes, that would be light activity unless you're a power walker for several miles at a time.

Once you start training -- treats can be very tiny. You can break up a larger treat into pieces, broil hot dog sliced rounds and cut them into 4ths, or buy a small treat specifically made for training -- Zuke's mini-treats, for example.

As you get familiar with your dog, you'll figure out by how it looks whether you're giving enough/too much food.

Ok cool don’t wanna over feed when I myself am not very active