Peeing (And Sometimes Pooping) In The House!

Guest Avisher224

Guest Avisher224

Okay friends, looking for what I'm 99% sure is some behavioral issue advice. My newest boy Maverick (had him since April) is a major chow hound and showed some food aggression when we first got him (see original post "feeding time with three") so he's been being fed on his own in our office. I had just been shutting the door and he HAD been fine until recently. We've probably had about ten times now were I've come to let him out once the other dogs are done and found a pee puddle and/or poop on the floor! The first couple times I thought maybe he had to wait too long and just couldn't hold it (he does seem to like to go out pretty immediately after eating) but he's done it other times after we've recently come back from a walk so I KNOW he's empty. He's also fine all night and all day when we're at work so I really don't think it's medical. I've tried feeding him outside on our patio the past couple nights instead. It's a glass door so he can see me and the other dogs and can also go out in the yard if he wants. This has seemed to work better but tonight I was giving our old boy a snack (he doesn't like to eat a lot at one time so I'll often take him in the bathroom after dinner and let him finish any remaining dinner in peace) and I came out to find that Maverick had peed on the mat, right by the other dogs food bowls. Again, it's almost time to go out for the night so he could have had to go but it's been MAYBE two hours since he last went out so I'm skeptical. Is he marking? Revenge peeing cause he's upset? And most importantly, HOW to I get him to stop?? I have a couple belly bands I could use but when do I put them on him?

Dogs do not eliminate inappropriately out of revenge or any other negative feelings. Read this great article - https://positively.com/contributors/why-is-my-dog-peeing-on-my-pillow-or-revenge-of-the-turds/

My first thought is a visit to the vet to make sure that there's nothing physical going on like a UTI or intestinal parasites. Next, I would go back to Housebreaking 101; begin the potty training process all over again as if Maverick were a puppy. Belly band is a good idea. If he's marking it should be just a little bit of urine, not a puddle. Can you feed Maverick in the same area where the other dogs are fed (either before or after the others have eaten) rather than shut in the office or out on the patio?

Keep in mind that most dogs need to poo about 1/2 hour after a meal.

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".