Swollen Wrist Joint

Dave_P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girl Peace developed a large , hard lump on her wrist. Screamed in pain when I bumped it. Had the biopsy done. Osteo. I gave her a few more days then set her free. My vet told me no amount of pain pills will take away the pain of osteo. And you don't want to go thru a bone break. I spoiled my girl, slept with her on the living room floor for 3 days and let her go.She was ready to be free of a body that was betraying her.

I am sorry you are going thru this. It is one of the hardest things to do, setting them free but we do it because we love them so much.

Hoping your beloved has a peaceful passing.

Hugs.

Jan

I've lost 3 greyhounds to osteo. As others have said, it is an incredibly painful disease - described to me by a vet as the pain of bone slowly exploding from the inside.

It is a cruel and relentless disease that not only inflicts indescribable pain on each hound it attacks, though they do their best to mask it, but on our hearts, where we must look deeply to find the loving courage to set them free.

Nothing is harder or more important. :grouphug

my two females had osteo. emily had it in the shoulder. i knew something was going on when her coat changed drastically and that was prior to the limp developing. she did her last good zoomie 9 years ago today(easy to remember my bday). the pain meds did nothing by new years eve. annie jumped off the bed and broke her rear leg in half when she landed. osteo- we had her euthanized that night.

with osteo it's quality time not the length of time. enjoy your dog and while your pup can still let him enjoy life! you should not suffer as well, it's a time bomb ticking in your head, waiting for the pain to set in. if you are not of the school of amputation then remember it's never a day too soon to not let them go if they are in pain. better a day early than late. so sorry that you too are dealing with this dreaded disease.

Thinking of you and your pup, Dave_P.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I’m so sorry. I’ve lost three greyhounds to this awful disease. As others have said, please, please keep in mind that it’s an extremely painful disease. Thinking of both of you.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Milo is back home finally, after 4-5 days at vet. They took the whole shoulder off.

But he is happy, jumped out of the truck by himself, walked around the yard - he is good!

Hope I can keep him happy for a few months.

45383206_2475690059115347_15498555531051

Praying for MANY many months of pain free fun and love with your boy. :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Milo looks great! I know when Ivy had her front leg amputated she was happy and did quite well. She still did zoomies and jogged with me and everything. For us it was definitely worth it as we had MANY happy memories we made post amputation. :)

Thank you all, very much. I stopped the pain pills. He pees all over the house, and I think one stitch popped, and is leaking bloody pus. Looks like it is old stuff, just draining out.

Monday back to vet for stitches out, and see what they think.

Sometimes his tail is up and he is happy, and sometimes Milo seems depressed. Sleeps in odd places, not much appetite ...

• 4 weeks later...

December update. Milo is doing great now! Great attitude and appetite, can handle steps to the house pretty well. And he can run fast, keeping up with the others doggies. If he is galloping along, it is most like skipping, using just one back leg.

He sez : I am still faster than you!"

350958d1544035699t-official-mans-best-fr

• 5 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 2:55 PM, MP_the4pack said:

I did a front leg amp for my girl with os of the wrist. She had a marvelous 14 months. She was 9 at the time.

I also did it with my 12 year old girl who had it in the shoulder. She did fantastic for 6 months.

Just throwing the option out there for you.

What was the recovery like after the amputation? How long the recovery lasted? What it anterior or posterior leg? My grey was just diagnosed and we are going through options, she is 10 and front leg. Thanks

Two weeks seems to be the magic number.  Both were up and about within a day. But restlessness and discomfort seems to last 2 weeks. And I think it's more related to the meds than anything else.

I used a sling for the stairs as they wanted to jump the entire 5 steps. But were fine on the flat almost immediately.  In fact I had to watch Tanzi. She took off running when I don't think she remembered she was missing a leg.

Both amps were right front. One was shoulder OS one was ankle OS.

I had both thoroughly checked out to make sure the rest of their body could handle the added stress. And both stayed in the hospital for a couple days. Which I appreciated. 

• 3 months later...

Another update to Milo. He has been wonderful and happy the last 8 months. But now he is stumbling a bit, and almost collaspes jumping down a few steps. All 3 of his legs seem a bit swollen - I don't see the veins and tendons like before. And he wimpers in pain.

His front leg causes pain, especially when I squeeze it. Gabuprofin for pain.

Thoughts?

TNX

Dave