Swollen Wrist Joint

Dave_P

5 y/o Milo (ex racer) has a swollen joint, front left wrist. That joint is maybe 1/4" larger in diameter that the good leg.

He favors it, limping around the house. But he still jumps down the steps to go out, And, he will still run flat out, without complaining.

The joint is hard, not mushy at all. I can bend it and he seems fine with that. If I squeeze it hard he will cry.

Been going on a few days here - may still be growing - hard to tell.

Anyone want to speculate? If it does not improve soon, I will take him to the vet.

Thanks, Dave

Edited by Dave_P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get to the vet sooner rather than later.

It could be nothing but some arthritic changes, or it could be osteo as the wrist is a prime location, or it could be a joint infection, or any number of things that would benefit from medical intervention as soon as possible.

Don't take his non-reaction as any indication of seriousness as these guys can be *extremely* stoic - particularly when they get their adrenaline up when playing or running. (One of mine completely shattered a toe when playing in the yard and never made a sound. I only realized what happened when I saw the bloody, mangled thing after we'd come in the house afterward.)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Restrict his activity. Leash-walking as necessary, but no running, and minimize jumping. (The same instructions your doctor would give you if you had a swollen ankle.)

And I agree with Greysmom: vet sooner rather than later. Try to video how he walks when he's limping so you can show your vet. I can't tell you how many dogs have miraculously healed themselves by walking into the vet's waiting room, only to resume limping or yelping when we got home. (Part of that stoic-hound thing.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

OK, OK - quit beating me over the head. Will see the doc on friday.

:thumbs-up

:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Well, so far the xrays are positive. The lump is not part of the leg bones. So no cancer suspected now. That is a relief, of course.

Doc is sending films to an expert to also evaluate them.

Pills for pain and reduce swelling. He is also running a fever of 103, I think she said??.

Milo was so happy this am, as I was letting him out to pee. Jumping around in circles -- what a wonderful dog! Did I also say he gets along gr4eat with 3 new horses my son got? Milo just does not care about them.

So, life is good this weekend. Hot as Hades. Praying for those poor souls in the Carolinas - been there, done that,, too many times.

Dave

Edited by Dave_P

I was just wondering how Milo did yesterday!

Did the vet mention Lyme disease? Or do a fna for infection?

Glad it's relatively benign!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:goodluck

Yes...run a tick panel.

Does Milo still have an elevated temp?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

last year my 11 year old had a sudden swollen wrist and within hours the foot and lower half of is leg were swollen too and he would not put weight on it. Thought for sure it was osteo given his age. Turns out it was not osteo. he was given rimadyl and within hours of the first dose the swelling started to get better. He has been lyme positive for several years and retreated when his titer went up. reran titer and it was way up so he was treated again and now his titer is low and no further wrist problems. Guess my point is that definitely a tick born disease panel should be done if it hasn't already been run. Good luck, hope he is O.K.

I'm confused...

Thought the X-rays showed no bone involvement. Why would he need a bone biopsy?

Have you done a tick panel?

• 1 month later...

Well, it has been a month now. Swollen wrist is bigger. Leg is pracctically worthless.

Took him down to the U of FL vet school yesterday. Biopsy says osteo sarcoma. Fast acting cancer, not much one can do to stop it.

Full of pain pills. We had a nice afternoon in the yard, beautiful North Florida fall day.
We will see how he holds up in the next days/weeks. He is just dragging along his front foot - very little use to him.

:(

These dogs are very stoic.

He is probably in quite a lot of pain....