Sign in to follow this  
MDBeland

Things You Bought Due To Owning A Greyhound?

I was thinking the other day about items that I purchased that are outside of the normal dog expenses just because of Marty.

1. Back in December my wife and I needed a new vehicle. We were leaning towards a Chevy Equinox or a Ford Edge. Marty arrives mid December. January we purchase a Chevy Traverse for it's 3rd row seating for Marty!

2. We purchased a nice big bed pillow for Marty before he came to us along with a nice crate and crate bedding. Then a month later after he settles in we purchased a huge bed ball from Dr. Fosters. He now rests comfortably going between the bed pillow/crate during the day and then has his bed ball to sleep on at night. I would have never thought that this dog would have 3 areas to rest/sleep!

3. Costco membership. Marty really likes Taste of the Wild Pacific. 2 months ago I found out that Costco has a Salmon/Sweat Potato brand dog similar to the TotW brand, but cheaper even with the annual membership added in. We are now Costco members just for dog food.

4. Future purchase? Marty never jumped on the bed or couch. Just yesterday my wife was laying in bed, Marty got the zoomies and jumped on the bed and laid down next to my wife. She has been wanting this for sooo long. As soon as he did this she looks up at me and says - "We need a king size bed!" I'm still nervous about this....with him possibly being territorial when he sleeps or even sleep startle. I maybe putting this one off.

A $5000 fence of my back yard, which is an acre. That was back in 1999. So it's probably three times the price in today's price.

I also sold the Toyota Celica for the Toyota 4runner back in the 90's. I'm on my 3rd 4runner now.

Only one slumber ball? :hehe We have 3! More collars and leashes than dogs, more dog beds than dogs, a Honda Odyssey so they can ride comfortably.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

A £500+ purpose built cage to fit in the boot of my car so Chancey cannot escape if there is an accident or the boot lid flies open.

Miss "England" Carol with Chancey - (Goosetree Chance) and whippet lurcher Nutmeg

R.I.P. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

A Subaru Outback. (Selected over the less expensive Forester because it has rear air vents for her Highness.)

A house with a yard.

A 6' privacy fence for said house with a yard.

3 4 5 6 dog beds.

Disgusting animal parts as treats.

17369590311_3d5eeef92f.jpg

Rachel with Sweep and kitties Olive and Momo.
Always missing my boys Mud and
Henry

I traded the SUV for a minivan because it was easier for the old man to get in and out. I bought a house with a fenced yard before I even had a dog (but I knew I would be getting a greyhound). Costco membership.The house I bought had a dog door, but I had to get a bigger one to accommodate those long legs. The martingale collar wardrobe :lol

A Subaru Outback. (Selected over the less expensive Forester because it has rear air vents for her Highness.)

So I'm not the only one who purposely picked a car for the dog with powered air vents for the 3rd row of seats that always stayed down (an old Honda Stream)!

The current car was also picked for the dog because it's load floor relatively low to jump up into at the back. (A Renault Scenic). I used to have a Citroen with the hydro-pneumatic suspension because they could, quite wonderfully, be let down to just 6" about ground level for our then very old dog.

Most people seem to change their vehicle once they get a greyhound. We bought a Jeep Cherokee for the first hounds and I hated it. It is too high of a jump up, anyway. We kept it two years and bought a van. We are on our second van. I really like driving the dogs in a van. I put them in from the side door. Of course, we have a fenced yard with a separate dog area. We are getting estimates this week to mulch the dog yard as it has become a mud pit.

Irene Ullmann w/Shine and Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul and Fuzzy
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What we haven't bought would be a shorter list. This house looks like the greyhound is the owner. :bgeorge

You mean Rocket isn’t the owner? :lol

• Back seat hammock and bolsters for the car so dog won't fall into the foot-well.

Matching, custom made, Martingales, tag collars and leads. Lola dresses better than I do.

4 dog beds (2 indoor, 2 outdoor - one in the shade, one in the sun)

Slip covers for sofa and love seat. Why use the dog bed when a sofa is available?

More toys than I ever had as a child

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Ever try to find a house in a mountain town with flat access to a large back yard so that elderly dogs won't have to manage steps as they go in and out the $300 dog door?

Above yard with fence installed.

New memory foam mattress after Milo went on a foam frenzy and tore apart my guest room accommodations. There is a bed in the guest room instead of a fold-out couch so that more dogs can fit on it while I sit at the computer in that room.

More babygates than most households without small children would ever dream of having.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

This! Well, among other things. But this is because of the dogs, not for them.

40481628_10212947352334708_1208345218588

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina, Kiva and Laila, and kitty Simon
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, and kitties Lily and Sam
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Full size, extended length Ford E350 van (a/k/a Big A$$$ van) with front and rear air conditioning and heat with remote start. Had all of the back seats removed and had a bed (and two captains chairs) installed. It is a monster!!

Halise

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

Dog beds & more dog beds

Both screen house & EZ UP for events

A van & then a bigger van (though not as long as boopieface's!) with rear heat/AC

A camper with the dinette always in bed mode

Bonaparte

And the fleece he's wearing. Lots and lots of fleece for making jammies and coats and hats and....15107410_10154778068098910_4333270141141

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Missing my heart dog Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

We traded in a gorgeous red Jaguar for a Dodge Durango......

gallery_22163_3545_11448.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

1) Town & Country van with stow and go seats which have probably been "up" 6 times in the 8 years I've owned it. :hehe

2) One story house with fenced yard. Had to be one story so the hounds didn't have to struggle with stairs as they got older.

Bonaparte

And the fleece he's wearing. Lots and lots of fleece for making jammies and coats and hats and....15107410_10154778068098910_4333270141141

I was wondering if anyone here had this! So cool. I saw it online recently and wanted it for halloween this year.

tuff foot, metacam, green tripe and too many beds! they just don't stand up to the weight. my salukis were more than content to lie upon a moving blanket or a fuzzy bathmat, my terriers slept in a watermelon box with a couple of towels. and raised feeder.....even the salukis ate off the floor. they would lie down in front of the bowl and chow down.

Edited by cleptogrey

Even though I wanted to be done with minivans we bought another because it's so much easier for the 80# boy. He won't get on seats and won't lay down unless he's in the way back with back row flat. Spoiled dog.

A $5000 fence of my back yard, which is an acre. That was back in 1999. So it's probably three times the price in today's price.

I also sold the Toyota Celica for the Toyota 4runner back in the 90's. I'm on my 3rd 4runner now.

We have an acre. Quote was over $25,000. Nope.