Sign in to follow this  
seeh2o

Healthy Paws Massive Rate Increase

I'm confused about the last bit. You do get a discount if you insure multiple dogs with them so the rate should be lower if you are an existing client. We're they offering the $40 as a quote for a new sign up, or for you because you already have a dog that's insured with them?

I'm going to email them, but I have to dig up my communication with the CEO who assured me the larger rate increase I got the first year was a one time thing.

Bit this at least seems to be an indication that yours wasn't increased because of your claims.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Mine went from $91.54 to $116.59 for Jasper and Jack. Jasper's meds are more than that each month so I'm not complaining. Jack almost never has issues so if I only had him I would be very unhappy! It's probably dogs like Jasper that are causing everyone to get the large increases.

Lynn

Missing Pepper,Magic,Kahlua, Hobbit Ziggy Jasper and Bella

So don't quote me on this, but when you add pets the policy renewals all happen together. I had Violet for a year before Skye so they were signed up at different times, but their policies both renew together. I don't remember the full explanation, just that the first time it happened I was confused and contacted them.

This is correct. The policy renews based on the date the policy was first opened, even if those dogs are no longer with you.

We had an increase on our policy this year, then moved a few miles away to a different zip code and saw a second increase. We have the most expensive plan ($100 deductible with 90% coverage) so we pay $150/mo for our two dogs.

Introducing Tessie, PK's Cat Island 12/9/13

Jackson the Airedale 12/12/05

Forever missing Grace 2/18/03 - 1/19/13 (RT's Grace, 18156/23B) and Fenway 10/10/06 - 9/25/16 (not registered)

Here is the correspondence about the discrepancy in quotes (as a new client my quote was $40+, as an existing customer my quote for the exact same dog, same address, same everything was $59+), below is the email I received. I responded in the affirmative, took Barney in for a physical, have yet to hear back from them:

"After some research I learned that there is a new pricing program for premiums available in your state. For most people, this new program would make premiums higher for them. However in your case, it looks like we could get you a much better rate for your kiddos by moving your account to the new program.
I got a quote for Barney for a $500 annual deductible and 90% reimbursement at $40.42 on this new program. Screenshot attached. (I used 9/1/2014 as his birthday, even though the screen says age 3)
I would more than happy to go ahead and add Barney to your policy, or go over any other questions you may have. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. Have a great day!"

This is the response (which says a lot of nothing) when I asked about the 37% rate increase:

"Thank you so much for choosing Healthy Paws Pet Insurance to protect your furry loved ones!

Our records show Bowie was enrolled on 6/24/2014, you received an email with the date 11/5/2011 because that is when your policy itself was created for your previous furry friends.

We understand that premium increases can be a stress financially. Our goal is to keep our premiums as low as possible while still providing comprehensive coverage. Your monthly bill is going up because, during the past few years there was an overall increase in the frequency of high-value treatments such as cruciate ligament surgeries, cancer treatments including chemotherapy, and foreign body exploratory surgeries performed by veterinarians (most of which can range anywhere from $3,000-$14,000). These rate increases ensure that we can continue to provide nose-to-tail coverage for the life of your pet.

This premium adjustment allows you and Bowie continued access to the best veterinarian care. That’s why our pet parents who have benefitted from the Healthy Paws plan continue to rate us the #1 pet health insurance provider."

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Yeah, basically veterinary costs are going up overall and so are their costs as a result. No kidding. :rolleyes:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Well, at least they said ultimately why, not unlike car insurance rates in certain areas. Their enrolment dates and how they "pro-rate" depending on the number of dogs in the house is a little odd. Would it be worth it to switch to a different company?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015